Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Tri-State Area Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Regional Areas > Tri-State Area Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #101
Donzo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 95337
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Putnam/Westchester NY
Vehicle:
2012 Jeep Overland

Default

I figured I'd post this in here because of my requests in the ad. If any of you are interested, I'll give you preference over the joe shmoes.

FS/FT: 2004 STi BBS wheels (gold)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #102
s2ktosti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70151
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack762 View Post
Right now no kids. I put my pistol on the night stand as soon as I get home from work and rifle safe stays open. No round chambered. If I'm not at work and I'm out and about then its on me.

When I do have kids (few years) I'll most likely carry it on me till I go to bed. Safe still open but latched. At which point I'll put pistol in or on night stand and again no round chambered.

I just could not ever let a computer control my access to my defense weapon. Thats just me though.

I also wish I could figure out why I cant post any attachments according to the "posting rules box".
I'm with you. I grew up with guns on rack in the living room

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
s2ktosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #103
05EJ25
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93133
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Peekskill, New York
Vehicle:
05 CGM STi
Stage TSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack762 View Post
Right now no kids. I put my pistol on the night stand as soon as I get home from work and rifle safe stays open. No round chambered. If I'm not at work and I'm out and about then its on me.

When I do have kids (few years) I'll most likely carry it on me till I go to bed. Safe still open but latched. At which point I'll put pistol in or on night stand and again no round chambered.

I just could not ever let a computer control my access to my defense weapon. Thats just me though.

I also wish I could figure out why I cant post any attachments according to the "posting rules box".
I follow same practice at home. Berretta 90-2 with lasermax is always on hand.

05EJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #104
pearl08
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 282356
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2008 wrx

Default

I live in jersey and want to purchase a gun in pa. How would that be done, would I need to get a jersey pistol permit? Would pa have to ship it to jersey? Has anyone done this before?
pearl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #105
05EJ25
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93133
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Peekskill, New York
Vehicle:
05 CGM STi
Stage TSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl08 View Post
I live in jersey and want to purchase a gun in pa. How would that be done, would I need to get a jersey pistol permit? Would pa have to ship it to jersey? Has anyone done this before?
When you say gun, you mean pistol? If so you need a new jersey permit if you live in Jersey. Technically I don't think they will sell you a pistol, in PA without a permit for PA. Good luck getting a permit in Jersey. Worse then New York getting one if they even issue them. Not too sure.
05EJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #106
Donzo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 95337
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Putnam/Westchester NY
Vehicle:
2012 Jeep Overland

Default

If its a pistol, you'd obviously need a NJ permit since that's the state you live in. You'd also need to have the gun shipped to an FFL (gun store) in NJ and pick it up there.
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #107
05EJ25
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93133
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Peekskill, New York
Vehicle:
05 CGM STi
Stage TSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
If its a pistol, you'd obviously need a NJ permit since that's the state you live in. You'd also need to have the gun shipped to an FFL (gun store) in NJ and pick it up there.
http://www.njsp.org/faq.html

How the law reads here technically you need to get your permit for NJ in order to even have it shipped to an FFL dealer so you can ammaend your permit and add the weapon. I would start with you jersey permit and work from there.
05EJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #108
wrc555wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 53545
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2002 wrx

Default

Anyone shoot long? My L96 (in .308) build.
wrc555wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #109
Donzo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 95337
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Putnam/Westchester NY
Vehicle:
2012 Jeep Overland

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05EJ25 View Post
http://www.njsp.org/faq.html

How the law reads here technically you need to get your permit for NJ in order to even have it shipped to an FFL dealer so you can ammaend your permit and add the weapon. I would start with you jersey permit and work from there.
Yup, just like I said. No matter what state the pistol is in, he needs his permit in the state he lives in before he can buy one.
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #110
s2ktosti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70151
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Black

Default

Only a few states require a pistol permit. Most you just need a drivers license... Welcome to great Communist State of New Jersey.

Any handgun bought out of state MUST be shipped to a FFL in NJ. The FFL will then fill out your handgun permit you got from your local PD.

The shipping to NJ thing is Federal Law, not state. This is done to make sure the firearm meets all the local laws and regs of your home state, as the FFL cannot transfer it to you if it doesn't.
s2ktosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #111
Mike Costin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131787
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Sandy Hook
Vehicle:
06 STI,OB,OME XJs
Merkur Junkyard

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ktosti View Post
Only a few states require a pistol permit. Most you just need a drivers license... Welcome to great Communist State of New Jersey.

Any handgun bought out of state MUST be shipped to a FFL in NJ. The FFL will then fill out your handgun permit you got from your local PD.

The shipping to NJ thing is Federal Law, not state. This is done to make sure the firearm meets all the local laws and regs of your home state, as the FFL cannot transfer it to you if it doesn't.
These states require permits to purchase pistols: CT, HI, IL, IA, MA, MI, MN, MO, NC, NE, NJ and NY (and DC). The others don't require you to hold a driver license, any government issued ID will work

An out of state FFL can transfer a firearm that doesn't meet local laws to your in-state FFL without any culpability. And your in-state Title 1 FFL can log in and possess that firearm without worry too. The federal law was enacted to provide a method for the federal government to directly regulate interstate commerce involving firearms -- it does not address local laws.

Bastards!
Mike Costin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #112
Mike Costin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131787
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Sandy Hook
Vehicle:
06 STI,OB,OME XJs
Merkur Junkyard

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc555wrx View Post
Anyone shoot long? My L96 (in .308) build.
I have a Ruger M77 scout rifle in .308. No optics though and my eyes are only good to 100 yds. So you're probably hitting 10 times further than me with that thang
Mike Costin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #113
s2ktosti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70151
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Costin View Post
These states require permits to purchase pistols: CT, HI, IL, IA, MA, MI, MN, MO, NC, NE, NJ and NY (and DC). The others don't require you to hold a driver license, any government issued ID will work

An out of state FFL can transfer a firearm that doesn't meet local laws to your in-state FFL without any culpability. And your in-state Title 1 FFL can log in and possess that firearm without worry too. The federal law was enacted to provide a method for the federal government to directly regulate interstate commerce involving firearms -- it does not address local laws.

Bastards!
Yes I know any government ID will work, but I use the DL to make a point on how easy it is in most state. I really need to move

Transferring to a FFL in your home state has other functions beyond regulating interstate commerce. The receiving FFL cannot release a gun to you that doesn't meet state law. If it's sole purpose was regulating interstate commerce they'd have done same thing when you buy a TV on the internet, or anything really.

Long story short, there's a lot of reasons for it.
s2ktosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #114
BXWRX77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263699
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bronx NY
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
Black

Default

I have need following this thread since it started and now have a question
Has anyone ever heard if this, I am in the process of renewing my NYC home premiss/target permit and was informed that my 15 Round Magazines are no longer allowed in NYC and have to get rid of them and replace them with 10 Round clips. I have owned this pistol since 1997, they tell me it's been in effect for awhile??
BXWRX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #115
Mike Costin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131787
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Sandy Hook
Vehicle:
06 STI,OB,OME XJs
Merkur Junkyard

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ktosti View Post
Yes I know any government ID will work, but I use the DL to make a point on how easy it is in most state. I really need to move

Transferring to a FFL in your home state has other functions beyond regulating interstate commerce. The receiving FFL cannot release a gun to you that doesn't meet state law. If it's sole purpose was regulating interstate commerce they'd have done same thing when you buy a TV on the internet, or anything really.

Long story short, there's a lot of reasons for it.
Ah, my point is that has nothing to do with federal laws or the FFL license directly -- the gun shop won't release a gun to you that doesn't meet state law because they are following state law. An in-state private party sale would need to follow the same rules even though they are not involving a FFL (i.e. a sale of a semi-auto carbine from a law enforcement agency to a private citizen)

By regulating interstate commerce of firearms they can significantly influence the who can obtain guns, where they can get them and when. It is how gun control is instituted on a federal level. The idea for regulating purchases of televisions on the internet is lost on me.

I think we're on the same page, I'm just a bit pedantic
Mike Costin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #116
Mike Costin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131787
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Sandy Hook
Vehicle:
06 STI,OB,OME XJs
Merkur Junkyard

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXWRX77 View Post
I have need following this thread since it started and now have a question
Has anyone ever heard if this, I am in the process of renewing my NYC home premiss/target permit and was informed that my 15 Round Magazines are no longer allowed in NYC and have to get rid of them and replace them with 10 Round clips. I have owned this pistol since 1997, they tell me it's been in effect for awhile??
Well, magazines manufactured after 9/94 with capacity over 10 rounds are illegal in NYS.

Sometimes is it is easy to prove (e.g. manufacturer's stamp, knowledge that the manufacturer went out of business, differences in design with newer product, etc.) and sometimes it is not.

Was this a new or used pistol in 1997? If it was used, what kind of pistol is? If it's pre-ban then we can do some quick research to determine if it can be easily proven. If it can not be easily proven I would recommend you do not use it. You may be right but the lawyers won't give you your money back.

I have a M70 rifle (what people would call an ak47) and I keep 30-round pre-ban magazines in NY for when I shoot up there (these magazines are unconditionally illegal in NJ). You can be sure that I spent the time and money to purchase and possess only those magazines which I could easily prove to be manufactured before 1994.
Mike Costin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #117
BXWRX77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263699
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bronx NY
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
Black

Default

Mike thanks for the reply back, I purchased this pistol, (Glock 19) back in 97, and was used, I think it was a Cops gun that was traded in. I have to renew my permit every 3 years and it always asks the same questions (model, type, Cal, and round capacity) So this never came up before, and when I got it in 97 it was inspected at Police Plaza. I was at Police Plaza and was told that if I took ownership after 94 they need to be replaced and bring proof and the new 10 round clips!
BXWRX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #118
s2ktosti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70151
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Costin View Post
Ah, my point is that has nothing to do with federal laws or the FFL license directly -- the gun shop won't release a gun to you that doesn't meet state law because they are following state law. An in-state private party sale would need to follow the same rules even though they are not involving a FFL (i.e. a sale of a semi-auto carbine from a law enforcement agency to a private citizen)

By regulating interstate commerce of firearms they can significantly influence the who can obtain guns, where they can get them and when. It is how gun control is instituted on a federal level. The idea for regulating purchases of televisions on the internet is lost on me.

I think we're on the same page, I'm just a bit pedantic
I think we're in agreement, just different ways of thinking about it.
s2ktosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #119
s2ktosti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70151
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXWRX77 View Post
Mike thanks for the reply back, I purchased this pistol, (Glock 19) back in 97, and was used, I think it was a Cops gun that was traded in. I have to renew my permit every 3 years and it always asks the same questions (model, type, Cal, and round capacity) So this never came up before, and when I got it in 97 it was inspected at Police Plaza. I was at Police Plaza and was told that if I took ownership after 94 they need to be replaced and bring proof and the new 10 round clips!
You know a clip won't work in a glock, I'd suggest a magazine. I'm a stickler for correct terminology. Really annoys me when they do that crap in movies too.

This is a Clip.


This is a Magazine

s2ktosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #120
BXWRX77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263699
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bronx NY
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ktosti View Post
You know a clip won't work in a glock, I'd suggest a magazine. I'm a stickler for correct terminology. Really annoys me when they do that crap in movies too.

This is a Clip.


This is a Magazine

I did say magazine in my first post, so I do know the difference, but when I typed the second post I admit I was lazy and said clip, and hesitated before I posted it. but I think it was understood what I was talking about!! Any info would be helpful.

Thanks Again!!
BXWRX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #121
Mike Costin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131787
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Sandy Hook
Vehicle:
06 STI,OB,OME XJs
Merkur Junkyard

Default

^^ hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXWRX77 View Post
Mike thanks for the reply back, I purchased this pistol, (Glock 19) back in 97, and was used, I think it was a Cops gun that was traded in. I have to renew my permit every 3 years and it always asks the same questions (model, type, Cal, and round capacity) So this never came up before, and when I got it in 97 it was inspected at Police Plaza. I was at Police Plaza and was told that if I took ownership after 94 they need to be replaced and bring proof and the new 10 round clips!
Here is a good picture from GIS on the "generations" of Glock magazines (for Glock 17 but applies to the shorter 19 magazines):



#1 thru 4 are pre-ban and are allowed in NYS

#6 is the ban version of #4, the difference is that it is stamped "RESTRICTED LE/GOVT ONLY"

If yours looks like #4 then make sure the caliber marking is lower rather than higher:

Mike Costin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #122
BXWRX77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263699
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bronx NY
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
Black

Default

Mine looks like #2 and has no markings on it, to signify caliber, even after explaining this to them I am still have to obtain the 10 round magazines and dispose of the 15 round magazines.

Thanks for all your help!

Anthony
BXWRX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #123
Mike Costin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131787
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Sandy Hook
Vehicle:
06 STI,OB,OME XJs
Merkur Junkyard

Default

That sucks and there's not much you can do even though you're in the right

The pre-ban magazines sell for a premium on the forums so you can at least make enough money back to buy 4-5 new 10 round mags. Ironically(?) most of the people shopping for pre-ban magazines are NY residents

I think Donzo posted a link to a local NY forum somewhere in this thread (if you don't want to go thru the hassle of creating a gunbroker.com account)-- maybe you can sell it thru there quickly
Mike Costin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #124
BXWRX77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263699
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bronx NY
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
Black

Default

Spoke to the Store where I purchased the gun, and he said he had the 10 round one in stock, and this law has been in effect they just never inforced it until now. He said your best bet is to just turn them in, less hassle.

Thanks again for the help.
BXWRX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #125
Civicex13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 252371
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
09 wrx hatch
silver

Default

Wish I would have saw this thread sooner lol here are both of my baby's right now will prolly be getting more in the future

Ruger sr 22


Walther pps 9mm


The Walther is a really nice ccw very thin and pretty light I really like it
Civicex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tri-State Motorcycle thread 4or2wheels Tri-State Area Forum 1737 09-05-2013 08:37 PM
Post pictures of your guns....Another gun thread... FreeBMW Off-Topic 93 06-12-2006 03:21 AM
Tri-State Forum Threads of Note! munkis Tri-State Area Forum 0 06-24-2004 11:35 PM
Tri-state Saddam Thread (put your comments here) typhoon116 Tri-State Area Forum 44 12-16-2003 05:59 PM
Gun people - Kimber Pro Tac II, or HK USP compact??? Yes, ANOTHER gun thread..... Subasaurus Rex Off-Topic 9 11-11-2003 11:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.