Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
nfranz10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244468
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Pearl

Default P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire - Fixed

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a recount of my experience with my first CEL and the steps the Apollo Performance guys and I took to fix it:

2007 STi
~62,000 Miles - All maintenance current
Stage 2 [3" dp, 2.5" catback, SPT intake]

Events:
1 - Just had the 60K check up done with the Apollo guys. Saved tons of money! WOO.

2 - Wanted to go stage 2, Godspeed downpipe installed, but since it's 3" and I have 2.5" exhaust, needed an adapter, ran a few weeks w/o until it got shipped.. loaded a temporary stage 2 map from the tuner until the adapter came. OK, no biggie.

3 - Gaslight came on as usual one day. However, when I filled up the tank, it only took 12 gallons or so [normally 14-14.5]. Then when I started, the gas gauge did not read fully filled up. Weird.

4 - Few days later, cruising on an on-ramp around 45 mph. Then, loss in power, hesistation from the engine. Went off the accelerator, then back on, very very sluggish and harsh feeling. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT flashes. ****.

5 - Plug in CobbAP, CELs read: P0302 [cylinder 2 misfire], PFFFF and PFFFE. shat...

Car symptoms:
+slight backfire when the car is started.
+rough idle
+Sluggish, hesistation.
+Nasty acceleration, so I avoided driving like normal, babied the car.
+Reduced gas mileage. About 170 miles per tank. EXPENSIVE.

Steps to fix it:

1 - Compression test. As I have an '07 STi, first thing Apollo guys did was to check compression. Pass with flying colors. Crisis averted. Phew.

2 - Check Spark plugs. Just replaced from the 60K overhaul, inspected. Clean.

3 - Inspect downpipe area. DP gasket seems blown, replaced. Installed adapter. No improvement, except for reduced exhaust noise obviously.

4 - Gave an idle log to the tuner. He thought it was the intake because the MAF reading was off. Inspected intake with Apollo guys, looks ok. Replaced filter with KN air filter. slight improvement in acceleration, everything else the same.

5 - At this point, check the coilpack or check injectors. Swapped a coilpack with a good set. and baboom, FIXED.

Pretty miserable experience when your subie is sick, but glad everything is fixed. As always, very grateful for the Apollo Performance guys and their great knowledge/customer service.

Hope that makes sense, just wanted to add that to the records of the p0302 CELs so that people can reference my experience should they ever have a similar problem.

-Noah
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by nfranz10; 02-29-2012 at 09:27 PM.
nfranz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Vrooom_Psh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311923
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
04 STi
WRB

Appreciate it Noah! There should be a stickied P0302 thread because it seems to be pretty common.

So you replaced all the coilpacks? and left the injectors alone?

I've got the same thing going on with my '04 STi right now
Vrooom_Psh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
nfranz10
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Pearl

Yeah.. I went in that day to do 2 things:

1) swap coilpacks with a fresh set
2) swap #2 injector with a new one

we began with the coilpacks [cuz it was the faster one of the 2], started the car up, and.... ran great. So we skipped checking the injectors.

Have had no problems with it since. Just been working on e-tune.

Hope your STi gets fixed ASAP!

Last edited by nfranz10; 02-29-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
nfranz10
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Pearl

If I were to re-do everything, in this order I would:
  1. Compression, if you have an '07 or really gut feeling its a compression issue
  2. Coilpack check
  3. O2 Sensor / downpipe area
  4. Intake and Intake Filter check
  5. Spark Plug / Injectors Check