Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
despoe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160741
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Default squeeking sound

Lately when I start my 07 wrx in cold temp a squeaking noise in the engine bay comes up. It only lasts for a few seconds then goes away.
I thought the belt needs to be replaced.
But my friend told me to double check the steering cuz it happened to his previous car. So when the squeaking occurred I turned steering wheel and it did stutter. When the noise ends the wheel hies back to normal. He said it could be the steering wheel fluid. I checked and it wasn't empty. On low maybe but not empty.

Did this ever happened to anybody here? Your input would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
despoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Serge_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 299021

Happened to me not too long ago, I changed the steering belt and the noise was gone. Make sure it's property tightened first thou, and if that doesn't help change it and tighten it.
Serge_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Both things are symptoms of a slipping power steering/alternator belt. It's probably loose and/or shot. Check the tension and do a visual of the inside of the belt to see if it's cracked or glazed.
As far as I know there is no fluid in the steering wheel, but there is power steering fluid in the reservior attached to the pump.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
despoe
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
Both things are symptoms of a slipping power steering/alternator belt. It's probably loose and/or shot. Check the tension and do a visual of the inside of the belt to see if it's cracked or glazed.
As far as I know there is no fluid in the steering wheel, but there is power steering fluid in the reservior attached to the pump.
Ma bad! That's what I meant, power steering fluid. Yeah, I guess its the belt since theres still fluid in the reservoir.
How come it only happens for a few seconds and when it goes away everything seems to be working well?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Vrooom_Psh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311923
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
04 STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by despoe View Post
Ma bad! That's what I meant, power steering fluid. Yeah, I guess its the belt since theres still fluid in the reservoir.
How come it only happens for a few seconds and when it goes away everything seems to be working well?
Like others have mentioned, it sounds like at least one of your belts is either worn out (cracked, glazed), or not tensioned properly.

The squeak is the result of the belt slipping on the pulley. A sudden change in how fast the pulley is turning creates the noise. Things like turning the steering to lock, and in your case, starting the engine, can be times when you hear a squeak!
Vrooom_Psh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
despoe
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Thanks for the input fellas!

Can i still the drive the car for now though? Or should I drop everything and have this checked out asap? I hope this is not a big or expensive fix.
I don't mean to sound like a newbie but im not 100% sure if im looking at the right thing as far as checking the belt and stuff.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Vrooom_Psh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311923
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
04 STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by despoe View Post
Thanks for the input fellas!

Can i still the drive the car for now though? Or should I drop everything and have this checked out asap? I hope this is not a big or expensive fix.
I don't mean to sound like a newbie but im not 100% sure if im looking at the right thing as far as checking the belt and stuff.

If it's just the belt squeaking, then yes you're fine to drive. It's also not a huge or expensive fix.

on the left, cracking, the right, glazing!
Vrooom_Psh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
despoe
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooom_Psh

If it's just the belt squeaking, then yes you're fine to drive. It's also not a huge or expensive fix.

on the left, cracking, the right, glazing!
Finally had the time to bring the car to my friends shop. You were right, it was cracking. I wanted to get an opinion on the price he's charging me. He said he'll change both belts. Both meaning the one that's cracked and the smaller one next to it. He said i might as well change the other one while their at it so I don't have to worry about it later.
Anyway he said he'll do it for $160. Pretty sure that's parts n labor. Does that sounds right? Just don't want him to see me as a quick buck just because I drive a clean WRX.

Going to get it done tomorrow after work so a quick reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

That's way too much money. The belts are about $10 apiece and it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes (probably less) to change both.
The idler pulley for the AC (smaller) belt should be checked while the belt is off, they tend to go bad and this can also be the cause of noise from the belt.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
despoe
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
That's way too much money. The belts are about $10 apiece and it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes (probably less) to change both.
The idler pulley for the AC (smaller) belt should be checked while the belt is off, they tend to go bad and this can also be the cause of noise from the belt.
Saw a DIY video and it is easy so im going to do that myself. But as far as the smaller belt, is it as easy? They said I might as well change it while im at it. Do I have to?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
JohnM10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244231
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5M
Crystal Grey Metallic

They are both easy to change on my 2006 2.5i so I wouldn't expect it to be hard on the 2007. I would change them both while you are in there.
JohnM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
despoe
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM10
They are both easy to change on my 2006 2.5i so I wouldn't expect it to be hard on the 2007. I would change them both while you are in there.
So when I loosen the steering wheel belt does the smaller belt get loosen as well?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
JohnM10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244231
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5M
Crystal Grey Metallic

No, there is a different adjustment/ release setup for the AC belt. Do you have a service manual?
See these posts here as well:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1487622
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2331671
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...te/compressor/

Last edited by JohnM10; 03-30-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added links
JohnM10 is offline   Reply With Quote