Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
dimwittedmoose
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 231049
Default Legacy Brighton stored for a year, now gas gauge issues

Finally got the clutch in the beast and now that it's on the road, I fill the gas tank and it's only reading like 3/4 full. drive it a couple hundred miles and the tank is way down to empty and I'm still driving. Thought the sending unit or gauge went bad, so I test as per Haynes manual and find nothing unusual. Add 7 gallons of gas and the needl moves up to like a quarter tank. Fill it again to day after another 25 miles of driving and same deal, only goes up to like 3/4 full.

My question is, since thew gas gauge didn't act up like this before these problems, what happened during storage to cause this issue? Is therre some sort of balance tube between both sides of the gas tank that's not allowing fuel to get to both sides of the tank or is it something else.

TIA

DM&FS
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dimwittedmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
USLiberty
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 294466
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1993 Legacy SS
white

If its like my 93 turbo ss it uses two intank sender units, one on the driver side and one on passenger. One meters 0-1/2 level the other handles 1/2-full tank. So if either one is dirty it will act funny. I found the contacts on the fuel level sender that are in the tank were gummed up. Once I cleaned them both my gauge started being more accurate. Just my experience with fuel sender units
USLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
dimwittedmoose
Scooby Newbie

Did your "low fuel" warning light still work despite the dirty contacts?? I haven't been able to determine if my warning light is functional yet. May have to carry a gallon of gas with me when the tank gets low next time and just test it all out by running the tank down all the way..

Thanks

DM&FS
Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
USLiberty
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 294466
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1993 Legacy SS
white

My low fuel light does not work but I think it may have something to do with my removal of the factory ecm. I have a standalone so I had to hookup each gauge individually. I think the low fuel sensor is part of the fuel level so maybe it will work after your level starts working. I always carry extra gallon of gas, duct tape, knife, water, basic sockets/wrenches, tiewraps and a first aid kit. If something can go wrong it will go wrong..... for me anyways. Does your brighton have hatchs to pull the fuelpump/sender unit from the top without dropping the gas tank? If so its an easy fix to clean the contacts, when you get it out you will see why they're so suspect to getting dirty. The contacts are exposed in the gas so any dirty fuel will eventually build up. I would do this first as its possible your low fuel light is the same issue. If you can't easily clean it then on the next full tank of gas poar a bottle of Seafoam in. Its a fuel system cleaner that works better than others IMO. they have it at wallmart or autozone, its a lazy mans fix and not guaranteed to clean in one use but it may work. I also use it in my synthetic motor oil for the last few miles before a change.
USLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
dimwittedmoose
Scooby Newbie

I ran two Techrons through in the first tank, so maybe that didn't help so much. Will try Sea Foam next tank. I'm thinking that having the tank and level sit in the same position for over a year could have been the issue. I felt lucky that it started after all that time down. My tank sending units are REAL easy to get to and upon ordering new gaskets for both, I will take the mess apart. The nuts holding it all down aren't too rusty, but some PB Blaste will free them up. For now, I will just carry some spare gas and tempt fate. Si9nce the gauge only gets to 3/4, it may be reasonable to assume that when it first hits empty that I still have 4 gallons left. Watching the trip odometer should get me close to the theoretical point where the light should come on at the 2 gallon mark. I guess I'm not sure if the low fuel light is activated by a certain ohm resistance in the sending wire or whether it's and actual position of the float arm. Thanks again for the follow up.

DM&FS
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

It should have been stored with a full tank to prevent formation of condensation and corrosion...

I'd wager you've got a problem with one of the fuel senders.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote