Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #201
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie_Noob_Brian View Post
Primitive racing out of Oregon, WA
i dont see it on their site?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #202
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie_Noob_Brian View Post
I have a Crosstrek CVT 60/40 split. I found the best way is to disable the VDC (only turns off the throttle limiter), use the manual mode staying in first gear (second if needed for a short period of time), and use the Ebrake. Here is what I came up with.


Subaru 2013 XV Snow Drift HD - YouTube
IMG_0128.mp4 video by ArmyBoyBrian - Photobucket
you were in 1st gear the entire time? the cvt automatically upshifts if you redline, so im assuming you didnt push it to that. i found its pretty easy to get to 6k rpms in 1st.

cool little vids, looks fun indeed.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #203
56k
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309206
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRX1843 View Post
Im just trying to help The fact is that Subaru made the system redundant and you are not going to be able to just pull a fuse or find a hidden button somewhere. You are going to need to remap the ECM and tell it not to give a crap when you are sliding
So I pulled ABS SOL fuse under the hood, with the following results:
-steering response much heavier
-ABS, Hill-Start Assist, Check Engine lights illuminated
-No speedo reading
-No Cruise control function or TC/VSC button function
-NO ABS, TC or VSC
-Rev limiter is lowered to about 4.5k rpm

This is an easy way to remove the VSC functionality from your car. To reverse the process, I replaced the fuse and removed the negative battery terminal for 20 seconds.

Afterwards full functionality returned, without any dash lights or warnings on the center console.

I don't think maps are the answer to this issue.. since the 'Vehicle Dynamics Control System' seems to be a separate module (according to the subaru wiring diagram) from the ECM. Unfortunately, I doubt that a software implementation change in the VDC controller is possible.. unless someone has intimate knowledge of the module and a CAN-BUS interface at their disposal.. ??

The wiring diagram has a few other fuses, so I will try them each in turn and report back with any findings. But at least this will give you the driving satisfaction of hanging the ass-end out all day long.

Also, this testing was completed on a 2012 Impreza, 2.0i limited, 5spd MT
56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #204
boudy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 174665
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Blue

Default

I found the same thing when I pulled the fuse in my CrossTrek (5 speed), it makes the car pretty unhappy. After re-installing the fuse the CEL went out on its own after an hour or so.

My fuse was located in the lower dash box, not under the hood.
boudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #205
boudy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 174665
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Blue

Default

I found the same thing when I pulled the fuse in my CrossTrek (5 speed), it makes the car pretty unhappy. After re-installing the fuse the CEL went out on its own after an hour or so.

My fuse was located in the lower dash box, not under the hood.
boudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #206
Paradis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334647
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lac St-Jean, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
white

Default

This afternoon on a 1 076,03 km2 frozen lake.


That's an infinite playground... Fawking VDC. I hate that sht so much. I think I will sell the car before next winter just because of that



Last edited by Paradis; 02-11-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Paradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #207
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
1 076,03 km2

What????
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #208
Paradis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334647
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lac St-Jean, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
white

Default

1076 km2
Paradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #209
boudy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 174665
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
... Fawking VDC. I hate that sht so much. I think I will sell the car before next winter just because of that
I share the sentiment and will be selling my CrossTrek. We're going to check out the Mini Countryman - the electronic BS can be turned off. Otherwise an older Subie or Jeep.
boudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #210
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

just buy an sti instead, then you can turn off vdc and enjoy yourself more
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #211
nels0300
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331332
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2014 Camry SE V6
Silver

Default

So...people are selling their brand new cars because you can't fully disable VDC? If it were that important, wouldn't you research before shelling $20K plus? Is messing around in the snow that important?

I don't get it...people selling their car for the craziest reasons...too noisy, not enough power, can't disable VDC. These are things you figure out before buying.
nels0300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #212
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
So...people are selling their brand new cars because you can't fully disable VDC? If it were that important, wouldn't you research before shelling $20K plus? Is messing around in the snow that important?

I don't get it...people selling their car for the craziest reasons...too noisy, not enough power, can't disable VDC. These are things you figure out before buying.
Thank you! I'm getting sick of hearing it really!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #213
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
So...people are selling their brand new cars because you can't fully disable VDC? If it were that important, wouldn't you research before shelling $20K plus? Is messing around in the snow that important?

I don't get it...people selling their car for the craziest reasons...too noisy, not enough power, can't disable VDC. These are things you figure out before buying.
totally agree.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #214
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
So...people are selling their brand new cars because you can't fully disable VDC? If it were that important, wouldn't you research before shelling $20K plus? Is messing around in the snow that important?

I don't get it...people selling their car for the craziest reasons...too noisy, not enough power, can't disable VDC. These are things you figure out before buying.
I agree. Returning a vehicle because its doing exactly what its supposed to and being safe... hmm...
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #215
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
So...people are selling their brand new cars because you can't fully disable VDC? If it were that important, wouldn't you research before shelling $20K plus? Is messing around in the snow that important?

I don't get it...people selling their car for the craziest reasons...too noisy, not enough power, can't disable VDC. These are things you figure out before buying.
I guess. Maybe I can l can't go beat the piss it is it in the snow, but u can have more than enough fun to get me in trouble, I'm not selling
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #216
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
So...people are selling their brand new cars because you can't fully disable VDC? If it were that important, wouldn't you research before shelling $20K plus? Is messing around in the snow that important?

I don't get it...people selling their car for the craziest reasons...too noisy, not enough power, can't disable VDC. These are things you figure out before buying.

fixed the above for ya
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #217
brapple
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327032
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Gales Ferry, CT
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Premium
Blue

Default

well love it or hate it the system does work as intended. It will also let the rear end come around some before the system kicks in.

With all the snow in the NE this past weekend I drive the Impreza after the roads where cleared. Taking off from intersections and turning I got on it to make sure we didn't get stuck, or even accelerating hard, the rear end would start to come around, and then the system straightened the car out.

In my Focus the system responded to my e-brake slide by kicking in just as I was counter steering.

So to me it allows for alittle fun if one wants to drive that way. However for someone that doesn't, like my wife, she would like the system to react faster. Although that was from the passanger seat as I do drive more agressively then she does.

So I do see both sides of the story. Either way I was impressed with the car over this past weekend.
brapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #218
Paradis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334647
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lac St-Jean, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
So...people are selling their brand new cars because you can't fully disable VDC? If it were that important, wouldn't you research before shelling $20K plus? Is messing around in the snow that important?

I don't get it...people selling their car for the craziest reasons...too noisy, not enough power, can't disable VDC. These are things you figure out before buying.

I Understand your point and I know VDC is a really good thing for our security in everyday life. I drive in snow 6 month/year, I want to have fun sometime. It's one of my winter sport sport (if I can call it a sport). I want to Lapping on ice (which is impossible with the car). An ON/OFF switch would be great (like all the car in the world), and I do not understand why Subaru did not. I can fully disable VDC on my 68 years old uncle's Pontiac Torrent
I miss my Audi A4 so much.

Yes it's a good reason why I will sell the car, or maybe keep the car and buy an older Impreza for less than 3000$ and put my winter tires on it. It's a base model and the lost of value is not so bad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
Is messing around in the snow that important?


Last edited by Paradis; 02-13-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Paradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #219
boudy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 174665
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
...If it were that important, wouldn't you research before shelling $20K plus? Is messing around in the snow that important?

I don't get it...people selling their car for the craziest reasons...too noisy, not enough power, can't disable VDC. These are things you figure out before buying.
Its not just a matter of being able to play. This car is screwing up my driving style and technique. After driving the CrossTrek, the first few minutes in my other cars are spent relearning how to drive them even though they are normal (i.e. no intrusive electronic BS, controls work as you expect).

You are right I did not think to ask "does the disable button actually disable VDC"? because it actually did in every other car that I have driven. I have yet to see this mentioned outside of a forum. The salesmen at the dealership weren't aware of this until I pointed it out to them. Unfortunately it wasn't snowing during my brief test drive.

Check out the Forrester forums, they are also lamenting the fact that the electronic BS is screwing up the usefulness of their cars in snow.

I also miss my B5 A4.
boudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #220
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
Is messing around in the snow that important?
Is living life to the fullest that important?
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #221
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX CVT
White

Default

If you want a car with high performance AWD system that allows you to fully modify the settings, Subaru makes it (STI).

Buying a 'base' Impreza and expecting an STI = you didn't research what you were buying before you bought it, or you cannot afford the STI, but expect one anyway.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #222
nels0300
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331332
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2014 Camry SE V6
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
Is living life to the fullest that important?
Sure, you only live once, do whatever you want, trade your car in every five minutes.

I'm going to cash in my 401K and buy a Bugatti. You wouldn't believe the crap you can do in that thing with a good set of snow tires.
nels0300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #223
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX CVT
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
Sure, you only live once, do whatever you want, trade your car in every five minutes.

I'm going to cash in my 401K and buy a Bugatti. You wouldn't believe the crap you can do in that thing with a good set of snow tires.
You reminded me of a study done on people with a new worth > million, the majority drove cars like the Ford Taurus, those that had luxury cars either bought new and kept the car for 10 years or bought a used luxury car instead of new.

Many people earning good money never make it to the millionaire club, because they spend it rather than save it.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #224
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
Sure, you only live once, do whatever you want, trade your car in every five minutes.

I'm going to cash in my 401K and buy a Bugatti. You wouldn't believe the crap you can do in that thing with a good set of snow tires.
Meh. I'll take a BRZ please. 975k cheaper and even more likely to go sideways. That said I don't mind the stability control on this car because the car has to be nearly sideways for it to kick in. Something a bunch of people here may not be aware of (who want to sell their car for the VDC reason) is that many other comparable cars on the market, in fact most small cars, do exactly the same thing. The Mazda 3 is a direct example. In the new Ford Focus (which is a really damn good car), you can't turn it off at all, which was one reason it stopped being as appealing to me. Basically, if you want a car you can fully turn it off in at this price range, your options are the Fiat 500 Abarth (and there are days I wish I'd bought that car). That said, the Subaru system, at least on the manual, is far less intrusive than many other cars, such as the focus, which I test drove and the stability control is very coddling. What most bothers me is that this trend is now normal. Let alone the part where stability control is making drivers who don't know what they are doing more aggressive and less likely to properly learn how to control a car, for overconfidence in their stability control, but we should as consumers at least be able to turn it off. Safety litigation in this country has reached the point of literal paranoia and resulted in cars that are both safer and more boring to drive.
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #225
nels0300
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331332
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2014 Camry SE V6
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
Meh. I'll take a BRZ please. 975k cheaper and even more likely to go sideways. That said I don't mind the stability control on this car because the car has to be nearly sideways for it to kick in.
That is how my car behaves as well. I can still do stupid stuff like spin around in parking lots and kick the back end out around corners, so I wonder what are people doing where they find VDC so intrusive that they'd want to sell the car.
nels0300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza 2.0i Gas Mileage Thread Benchmark General Community 934 10-08-2013 03:49 PM
[REQUEST TO MODS] 2012 Impreza 2.0i only forum please? tornado542 General Community 10 04-26-2012 06:07 PM
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Break-In Period Arseezy Newbies & FAQs 7 02-14-2012 09:28 PM
Impreza 2.0i durid Newbies & FAQs 2 02-07-2012 04:54 PM
Anybody in SCIC-land taken possession of 2012 Impreza 2.0i yet? somebody else Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 1 12-30-2011 12:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.