Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday June 29, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 91212
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Default Koni install assistance requested (2011 WRX)

I started my Koni install today and got most of the way through the assembly process for the front struts.

I used '09 WRX struts as cores and had no issues in removal, disassembly, cutting, etc. When I got to the assembly stage, I got stuck. Before I go beating things with a deadblow hammer (recommended by Koni), I wanted to make sure that I got things right on the cutoff.

So I made it to here:

The strut insert seems to be at the correct location when looking from the top of the housing, but when it comes to the interference fit, I feel like just pounding the insert is a bad idea.

I read some thread on here that recommended using the bottom bolt to draw it into place, but the bolt does not reach the threads on the insert.

The directions state that if the interference nubs are 46mm from the top of the insert, you come down 40mm onto the body and make the cut.

Here are my measurements:

The bolt is 1" long. The insert is 1 5/16" inside of the housing.

What is the best way to go?

Longer bolt to draw it in (then replace with proper bolt)? Does anyone know the bolt size/pitch?

Dead blow hammer?

Cut the housing down by a few more mm to make it easier?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: For those not familiar with the process, I found this thread informative about the general process, but not about drawing/pushing the insert into the OEM housing:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1219607

Last edited by phenryiv1; 03-05-2012 at 09:39 AM.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22825
Chapter/Region: NWIC

I used a press.

Though did on another car use a block of wood and a deadblow just fine when a press wasnt handy.
teiva-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Where did the press make contact with the insert?

I have access to some large furniture clamps that I can use in place of a press. Good idea? Bad?

Another thought that I had was some PVC pipe with a large enough ID to fit around the shaft and then use that to try to pound the nubs into the housing far enogh to engage 4-5 threads and then draw it in from there.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
whitevo8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255920
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
03 Evolution
Black

Dont cut the housing any more than what is said to. Typically a buffer and sanding off a lot of the paint helps it fall into place a little easier.
whitevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

PVC isnt going to cut it. It needs to be a metal pipe. But you have the right idea.

As suggested sanding the paint could help some

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Where did the press make contact with the insert?

I have access to some large furniture clamps that I can use in place of a press. Good idea? Bad?

Another thought that I had was some PVC pipe with a large enough ID to fit around the shaft and then use that to try to pound the nubs into the housing far enogh to engage 4-5 threads and then draw it in from there.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

After talking to Koni, I determined that the allen bolt that comes with the kit is an M12-1.5 x 25. For those who don't know how to read the specs, the size is an M12 with 1.5 threads per millimeter and a length of 25mm (about 1" for we Americans).

I decided that I will first try to draw the insert into the housing, but with the bolt being too short, that means that I need a longer bolt. I got excited when I realized that the bucket of a couple dozen BMW e30 lug bolts that I have from stripping parts cars during a track car build are the same M12-1.5 size/pitch, but then I found that they are the same 25mm length as the Koni bolt.

I went and ordered 2 more bolts in M12-1.5 in 40mm and 45mm lengths. I will use them to draw the insert into the housing and then replace them with the Koni bolt (complete with LocTite).
Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Take a 2x4, put it on the top yellow area around the shaft. Pound away... That worked in 2003 when I had a bugeye.

Though a press is preferred and much easier. Sure you can't find someone with one? Or ask a shop if you can use theirs for 10min?. I did this a couple years ago on my Forester.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
msennati
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 238247
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
WR Blue

Using a longer bolt to draw the strut into the body is OK, just make sure the body is not too long or the insert will not bottom out in the strut housing.
More info:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2225818
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...219607&page=18
msennati is offline   Reply With Quote