Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 28, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
I_H8_1.8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12733
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'15 Fiesta ST
Black

Default Issues with EJ22T swapped '95 Impreza: help!

I have a '95 Impreza with a full EJ22T swap/wiring conversion, running a few aftermarket parts ('04 WRX turbo, '98 WRX intercooler, HKS WRX downpipe, Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, '98 2.5 RS manual trans & differential). Most everything else is stock, that I can think of.

I have been having an issue for quite awhile, so the car has been sitting a lot. There are no stored CEL codes.

The car will randomly stall with no warning. When I first started it after the engine swap with the original TD05 turbo and no intercooler, the CEL was on, with codes stored for each for of the four fuel injectors. I cleared the ECU, and they never came back. The car ran flawlessly for quite some time. Fast forward to about 2 years ago; The car starts randomly shutting down while driving with no warning. Upon an instant attempt to restart, while pumping the gas pedal since it was unresponsive, the car would after-fire and sound like a gunshot/like the exhaust was going to blast apart. It will shut off again randomly, but sometimes pumping the gas pedal will help it stay on, and other times it only adds to making it worse. I can still hear the turbo spool if I stab the gas pedal after it shuts off.

The problem seemed to go away for awhile after replacing the fuel pump with another Walbro 255 lph pump, and replacing the MAF with a different one, but has returned. Any ideas?
I_H8_1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
sackytar
Scooby Guru

Member#: 149262
Vehicle:
03WR Rallycar/FXT/OB
PrimerGrey

What is the cel code?
sackytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
04 WRX
Flappy bird edition

fuel filter?
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
I_H8_1.8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'15 Fiesta ST
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackytar View Post
What is the cel code?
The CEL is not constantly on. However, I will check for codes tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
fuel filter?
I have a new one that I've been waiting to put on, but haven't yet. The car has been sitting for so long, that I wanted to get through the old tank of gas before replacing it. Replacing it when the issue first started happening didn't make a difference.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
I_H8_1.8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'15 Fiesta ST
Black

I just checked for codes and injector resistance. The codes stored were:

11 - crank sensor
13 - cam sensor
14 - fuel injector #1
15 - fuel injector #2
16 - fuel injector #3
17 - fuel injector #4
23 - MAF sensor

injector resistance:
#1 - 14 ohms
#2 - 14 ohms
#3 - 24 ohms
#4 - 14 ohms

My Haynes manual calls for a reading of 11-12 ohms for 1990-1994 legacies; is that accurate, or do I actually have four bad injectors instead of possibly just one?

I have seen all of those codes stored in the ECU before, with the exception of the cam and crank sensors. I don't know that I've ever been able to fully clear any stored codes from the ECU in the past. Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
I_H8_1.8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'15 Fiesta ST
Black

On second thought, if the car loses signal from the cam and/or crank sensor, it will probably shut the engine off, correct? Couple that with a potentially leaky injector(s), and that might cause the afterfires on trying to restart?

The car had a bad cam sensor on the original engine when I first bought it. It would start fine cold, but after going to a store or something where the car only sat for a few minutes, it would just crank and crank, not wanting to start. That didn't trigger the CEL, either, but eventually I found the code stored for it.