Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
dkwok
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 296988
Default Rod knock/piston slap?

Hey everyone,

I have an '05 :92x:. To start, this is what my engine sounds like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTIth...ature=youtu.be

I have been shopping mechanics in my area they all believe its rod knock/ or a spun baring but after that i have been getting some mixed messages.

I will obviously need to rebuild or get a brand new block. but what else should i get done while they are in there?

The subietech i spoke with suggested I could rebuild with a 2.2 stroker kit along with Valve/head job, a master gasket set, hot tank the manifold, intercooler and oil pan, New 12mm sti oil pump or rebuild mine, and a New oil cooler. And maybe a new turbo too

Does this all sound right. I know its going to be an expensive fix, but i want to get it right while they are in there.

THanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
DDScooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 161876
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 Impreza WRX
WRB

...IMHO after listening to that and experiencing a 2.0l engine failure myself a year ago, cut your aggravation, expenses and time by getting a brand new short block. A stock 2.0l short block is going to run in the ball park of $1750-2250, OR a 2.5(ej257) will be about the same and easier to find. NASIOC has a few very reputable vendors for such items. Of course send the heads out to a machine shop to have the heads worked over (this is a very reputable place on the East Coast (http://larryspower.com/)).
Then you will obviously need new ancillary parts and are a must and should not be skimped on. Turbo ($1029), Master Gasket set(~$250),11mm Oil pump($250), oil cooler(~$230)(http://www.subarupartswarehouse.com/) and possibly the timing belt/pulleys(~$260)(http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php) .

I'm fairly sure you will end up spending less going brand new rather than taking apart and repairing the old engine.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by DDScooby; 03-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.
DDScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

dont use the 12mm oil pump..its too much...and dont use any 5w30 oil..it all sucks
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

double'd
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote