Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 7, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
STiNemesis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283467
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default Rotella T6 5W-40 Oil

So after using 5w-30 Subaru Syn. since I purchased my '11 STi. I have finally made the switch to Rotella T6 5W-40 and love it!

I just have one question. I have read some threads that indicate the use of T6 can plug up and damage the cat, but I did not see any conclusive evidence. Is there any truth to this? T6 meets all the criteria stipulated in the owners manual (IIRC,GPI, ACS, CPA, FBI, CIA; you get the point), and the manual even states the use of 5W-40 is fine.

Last edited by STiNemesis; 03-24-2012 at 06:27 PM.
STiNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
bangedlegacywagon97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 215017
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
97OB 2004 civic
:-)

If I remember correctly, it is rated API SM which makes it safe to use on a car with cats.
If ZDDP was too high (High ZDDP damages cats) it would have been unable to achieve that certification.
bangedlegacywagon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
STiNemesis
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangedlegacywagon97 View Post
If I remember correctly, it is rated API SM which makes it safe to use on a car with cats.
If ZDDP was too high (High ZDDP damages cats) it would have been unable to achieve that certification.
I just looked at the T6 label and its says API CG-4/SM.

Is that the same thing you are referring too?

My understanding is that some diesels truck (which T6 is recommended for), do run catalytic converters or diesel oxidation catalytic converters, so I would assume the oil would be safe with our cars converters. And the SM rating as well.

Thanks for the quick response, just trying to gain some knowledge.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Neutron
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 215419
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
08 STi
DGM

As far as the web site I brought up, ease up. They have a lot of UOA'S for all types of oils and different vehicles. I didn't insinuate that you should listen to the guy with a 1987 chevy cavalier that has used only brand X OIL for whatever miles. The info there is not unlike on this site.lots of info. Some of it is true. Most is opinion.
BTW thanks for flaming my first post after following the instructions and using the search function for three years. No wonder all the civilized STI websites make condescending remarks about this place. If I wanted that kind of treatment, I would have bought an EVO.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangedlegacywagon97 View Post
I am of the opinion that the 'cat damage' thing is WAY-WAY overblown

i read those tests(find them yourself...i dont keep links to that ****) and those were 'worst case' where the engines were in poor condition and burned a LOT of oil and the cats didnt make a 120k mile test

big
****ing
deal
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

and this thread is 100% unnecessary and unneeded here
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
STiNemesis
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
and this thread is 100% unnecessary and unneeded here

You are correct, my side bar comment was not needed and has been edited out. In addition thanks for the input as well, I will do a search for those UOA's.

My apologizes to all that read my side bar. Neuron I don't know what you are talking about, as I made no reference to you (unless you are "BITOG"), either way, my apologizes. I was just making a general statement, while looking for facts.

Where should I have put my cat question? Just for future reference

**Edit - NEURON - saw your post in the other "joining the "RT6" club now" thread. My side bar was in no way in response to that. In fact, I should have just posted my original question in that thread since Scotty was already in there answering questions among others.

Last edited by STiNemesis; 03-24-2012 at 07:05 PM.