Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
theluckyone
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 90540
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
06 Baja
Black

Default '06 Baja Clutch/Tranny Noises

Synopsis:
There's a couple noises from the area of the transmission that I don't like.

Particulars:
  • 2006 Baja Sport
  • 5 speed manual transmission
  • ~53,500 miles
  • Brand new to me. I've driven the last hundred miles or so.

Symptoms:
  • When the clutch pedal is pressed and the clutch disengaged, there's a distinct and continuous "rubbing" sound. It occurs when the vehicle is at rest and in motion, and occurs regardless of what gear the transmission may be in when the clutch is disengaged.
  • In first and second gear, when the clutch is engaged, there's a distinct rattling sound. It sounds like loose gravel in a tumbler, or a quiet heat shield rattle. I've looked at the heat shield, and it seems pretty solid (there are also sections simply missing). I have not been able to hear it in third or higher.
  • First and third gears can be temperamental to shift into. A quick shift can cause them to grind easily. Taking time with the shift helps with this. The other gears seem normal, equaling my experience in my old '97 OBW.
Possible causes:
I'm thinking the first noise is a pilot or throw out bearing going bad. The second has me concerned that there may be internal damage to the transmission, since it's apparently limited to specific gears.

Possible resolutions (in order):
  • Replace the gear oil.
  • Replace the TO and pilot bearings, along with the TOB retaining clips. May as well swap the clutch while I'm in there.
  • Replace the tranny.

Any thoughts?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by theluckyone; 03-26-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Corrected order of proposed resolutions
theluckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
nunyabub
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 97528
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 rs
Metallic Blue

I've got the noise going the same on my 06 Outback XT, was thinking it was the TO bearing as well, curious what kind of answers you get here.
nunyabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
theluckyone
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 90540
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
06 Baja
Black

After driving her around for a few days, getting the other issues cleared up before she's inspected, I think the noise is fairly minor. I still want to address it, though.

Keep in mind, the Baja is my primary vehicle, but I drive a company car for work. They let me drive it home, so the Baja won't see much in the way of miles.

I'll wait 'til next month when we've got a bit more cash flow coming in, then pull the engine. If the input shaft on the tranny looks good, I'll swap the clutch components for new. I may as well, if I'm looking right at them. Once I know, I'll report back here.
theluckyone is offline   Reply With Quote