Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
b1aze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 284003
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Marlborough, MA
Vehicle:
2010 Alpine 135i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalwrx816
if your changing your oil at 7,500 miles everytime your an idiot for that after so long the oil starts to degrade and things happen
Plenty of people run good quality synthetics for that long or longer. The reliability is proven by multiple used oil analyses that measure viscosity, flash point, etc to prove that the oil is still robust.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
b1aze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #27
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzero View Post
This bull**** started around 8k. Cleared the light twice thinking it was bad gas. I was on my way to the dealer to swap tires and the light came on 2 hours before my appointment . Perfect timing. Besides I was going in to request a cylinder leakdown test anyway. Due to what I have read here and on other forums. The timing couldn't have been better
Wait, you cleared a CEL? Did you ever read the code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalwrx816 View Post
if your changing your oil at 7,500 miles everytime your an idiot for that after so long the oil starts to degrade and things happen
Synthetic oil is changed less frequently. BMW, call for every 15,000 miles.

Subaru Synthetic says 7,500 miles or 7.5 months. Now, if you modify the car then you are more than welcome to adjust the timing. Our cars, stock, don't eat oil, and the synthetic is made to last longer.

On my 2005 WRX and 2008 WRX I changed every 3,xxx. They used normal oil.

My 2011 saw an oil change after 1,000 miles, then 6 months later, and will again in May because I drive very little. I have driven 10,000 miles in a year.

Last edited by Snow Drift; 04-01-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #28
gordyzero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56219
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
SPW

Default

In my 07 WRX I ran Mobil 1 EP 5w30 for 145,000 miles changed it every 7500 miles. When I had my timing belt service done I told the dealer what I used for oil and how often I changed it. They told me I was crazy and Mobil 1 is the worst ! After that I changed it every 5,000 never had a problem. BUT I did have my banjo bolt screen changed at a hundo 5 . Trades it in with the original turbo & original tune! No problems.
gordyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
gordyzero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56219
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
SPW

Default

On my 2011 STI dealer told me Subaru synthetic only and must document a filter and change every 3750 . Or I won't have a engine warranty. No one can ever seem to agree on this topic. I just do what the dealer tells me. After all they warranty these bones.
gordyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #30
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

jesus, i am so torn on whether or not to flash my 2012. seems like you are damned if you do, and damned if you dont
BigRob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
b1aze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 284003
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Marlborough, MA
Vehicle:
2010 Alpine 135i

Default

RTFM... all the required interval information is in there.
b1aze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #32
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzero View Post
On my 2011 STI dealer told me Subaru synthetic only and must document a filter and change every 3750 . Or I won't have a engine warranty. No one can ever seem to agree on this topic. I just do what the dealer tells me. After all they warranty these bones.
Subaru already stated the policy. Your dealer is trying to get money out of you more frequently.

Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #33
zackg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248581
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2012 STI
WRB

Default

I just got my 2012 STI 5 days ago and the dealer told me 3,000, then 10500, 18000, etc. 7500 on a STI seems steep if you drive it like you should. Dealer isn't going to deny you if you change it more frequently than that. And the post above me explains it all
zackg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #34
gordyzero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56219
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
SPW

Default

BigRob, I know just how you feel. Good luck. ! I'm staying stock. And trading it before the warranty runs out. F this spending more money biz. I'VE spent enough. OEM till it blows!
gordyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #35
gordyzero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56219
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
SPW

Default

Awesome , thanks Snowdrift. !!
gordyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #36
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzero View Post
BigRob, I know just how you feel. Good luck. ! I'm staying stock. And trading it before the warranty runs out. F this spending more money biz. I'VE spent enough. OEM till it blows!
i dont know if the STi tunes are worse than the regular wrx. i am planning a track day in ohio with a bunch of friends in june, so its a 500 mile drive there, full day on the track, and 500 miles back. so tempted to flash it for this trip, but if it blows up on the track with the stock tune, subaru has to fix it since it wasnt modded. damn this sucks..lol
BigRob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #37
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzero View Post
Awesome , thanks Snowdrift. !!
No problem, good luck with the new motor. My 05 was heavily modified and blew up after 2 years of ownership, so I know how you feel. But, that didn't stop me from buying two more WRX's. Stay in the family, don't leave just yet.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
zackg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248581
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2012 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob74 View Post
i dont know if the STi tunes are worse than the regular wrx. i am planning a track day in ohio with a bunch of friends in june, so its a 500 mile drive there, full day on the track, and 500 miles back. so tempted to flash it for this trip, but if it blows up on the track with the stock tune, subaru has to fix it since it wasnt modded. damn this sucks..lol
They don't have to fix it if they find out you were racing. It's in my gold plus booklet so I am sure it's in the regular booklet as well.
zackg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #39
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackg View Post
They don't have to fix it if they find out you were racing. It's in my gold plus booklet so I am sure it's in the regular booklet as well.
well as far as they will know i was on the highway going 50mph when it happened..
BigRob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #40
k mier
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98000
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MO
Vehicle:
05 sti e85@420hp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast4U1DAY View Post
Subaru HAS to put the tunes on like that to meet federal emission standards. If they don't meet the standards, they aren't allowed to sell cars here in the states. If you want it to be reliable, YOU have to have it tuned by a third party.

It has nothing to do with Subaru being "showed up". It all comes down to cost and regulations. Period.

Buyer beware....We sell a vehicle that meets all emission regulations, but because we can not find a better way to meet these regulations, our product may self destruct and become useless at any moment. We are well aware our vehicle is often used in a sporting manner but we can and often do deny warranty issues that we know are are due to our inability to effectively meet these regulations.

Last edited by k mier; 04-02-2012 at 05:20 AM.
k mier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #41
zackg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248581
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2012 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob74 View Post
well as far as they will know i was on the highway going 50mph when it happened..
Hey doesn't matter to me, I raced my WRX. Don't market a car as a "sports car" if you can't warranty it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k mier View Post
Buyer beware....We sell a vehicle that meets all emission regulations, but because we can not find a better way to meet those regulations, our product may self destruct and become useless at any moment. We are well aware our vehicle is often used in a sporting manner but we can and often do deny warranty issues that we know are are due to our inability to effectively meet this regulations.
Bullcrap I tell you!
zackg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #42
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackg View Post
Hey doesn't matter to me, I raced my WRX. Don't market a car as a "sports car" if you can't warranty it that way.
exactly. and esp if the car is stock..
BigRob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #43
hutch959
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267463
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob74 View Post
jesus, i am so torn on whether or not to flash my 2012. seems like you are damned if you do, and damned if you dont
flashed mine at 16 miles... couldnt get that lean tune off mine fast enough.

and yea, the warranty is void now... but like ive said 100 times before, the warraty on the motor is worthless. if you leave it stock and it breaks the pistons, then you take it to the shop and 3 weeks later you got the same thing. bad tune with brittle pistons....

tune it.

if it starts showing signs of pistion issues, find you a reputable shop and get them to fix it right (pistons and tune).

then enjoy it.

no worries.
hutch959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #44
hutch959
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267463
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

oh.. and that suby oil...... changed it at 1000 miles. it was black and ran out like water. I couldnt believe how dirty and thin it was.
just an observation
hutch959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #45
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch959 View Post
flashed mine at 16 miles... couldnt get that lean tune off mine fast enough.

and yea, the warranty is void now... but like ive said 100 times before, the warraty on the motor is worthless. if you leave it stock and it breaks the pistons, then you take it to the shop and 3 weeks later you got the same thing. bad tune with brittle pistons....

tune it.

if it starts showing signs of pistion issues, find you a reputable shop and get them to fix it right (pistons and tune).

then enjoy it.

no worries.
yeah, i think i am gonna order my accessport this week..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch959 View Post
oh.. and that suby oil...... changed it at 1000 miles. it was black and ran out like water. I couldnt believe how dirty and thin it was.
just an observation
what oil are you using now? i think i am going to switch to rotella t6, everyone seems to love it..
BigRob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #46
07wrx84
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 252195
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Da-Boonies... 801
Vehicle:
07 WFC #900
@ 451awhp-404awtq

Default

Stock Tune=fail
07wrx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #47
JohnsonJ718
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312938
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2012 STi Hatch
SWP

Default

This issue is haunting me. I have a 2012 STi with 125 miles on it. I am leaning toward getting an AP and a protune right after the 1000 mile break in, I would like to think this is the proper thing to do. I just kills me that the stock tune can be causing this issue yet I have read a lot of threads about stage 1 and 2 cars also blowing engines, so I am really up in the air about what to do. Subaru should have relationship with well known tuners and have an agreement that tunes by these tuners will not void warranty...

What I would like to know is how much money are we talking to fix it yourself if it does blow? Also is there a statistic somewhere showing a % of cars that have had ring land issues?
JohnsonJ718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #48
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonJ718 View Post
This issue is haunting me. I have a 2012 STi with 125 miles on it. I am leaning toward getting an AP and a protune right after the 1000 mile break in, I would like to think this is the proper thing to do. I just kills me that the stock tune can be causing this issue yet I have read a lot of threads about stage 1 and 2 cars also blowing engines, so I am really up in the air about what to do. Subaru should have relationship with well known tuners and have an agreement that tunes by these tuners will not void warranty...

What I would like to know is how much money are we talking to fix it yourself if it does blow? Also is there a statistic somewhere showing a % of cars that have had ring land issues?
welcome to the club! i dont think i read anything about newer 2011+ blowing up on a stage 1 tune
BigRob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #49
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonJ718 View Post
This issue is haunting me. I have a 2012 STi with 125 miles on it. I am leaning toward getting an AP and a protune right after the 1000 mile break in, I would like to think this is the proper thing to do. I just kills me that the stock tune can be causing this issue yet I have read a lot of threads about stage 1 and 2 cars also blowing engines, so I am really up in the air about what to do. Subaru should have relationship with well known tuners and have an agreement that tunes by these tuners will not void warranty...

What I would like to know is how much money are we talking to fix it yourself if it does blow? Also is there a statistic somewhere showing a % of cars that have had ring land issues?
2011+ I can't think of any.

2008-10, search for the ringland thread. Most were 2008's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob74 View Post
welcome to the club! i dont think i read anything about newer 2011+ blowing up on a stage 1 tune
Guys, relax. The 2011+ has not had the same issues as the older models. Search here and iwsti.com. The new tune is safe.

This is a coincidence. The cars have been out for a year, some with 20,000 miles and no issues.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #50
norcalwrx816
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 203489
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Reno,nv
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
flat4/Mayhem Tuning!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplay355 View Post
Yea, he's the idiot for following the recommended maintenance schedule...
you telling me you change your oil at 7,500?
norcalwrx816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 STi Sedan 305/368 EFI Tuned krotondo Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 1 09-22-2011 02:46 AM
***PhatBotti Tuned: E85'ed 2011 STi, 330whp!! Per Gear Data + Tuning Discussed*** PhatBotti Tuning TKR Proven Power Bragging 54 06-24-2011 11:58 AM
2011 STI OTS map vs Pro tune Jose Gordils Newbies & FAQs 6 05-09-2011 12:08 PM
2011 STi V-Limited LIPS IN STOCK! Yeah we got them! RallySport Direct Vendor 'General Sale' Forum 1 11-08-2010 04:03 PM
07 STI Blown Piston or Ring? 07stilover Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 49 01-25-2008 02:24 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.