Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #126
1PearlyWhite1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314976
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cary, NC
Vehicle:
2011 STi 4dr
SWP

Default

so I have been trolling around this thread for a couple of weeks now. bought my 2011 STi last Tuesday. Driving home from going to grab lunch today and guess what? Check engine light comes on along with all the blinky lights and disabled SI/VCD. roughly 29.5K miles on the ODO.

obviously checked the carfax prior to buying and all scheduled maintenance was done and recorded at proper mileage. no mods on it from the previous owner [now anyways if he/she parted it out] and none done by me. hope to hell it isn't what it could possibly be... 1.5 weeks of ownership and < 200 miles driven by me
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
1PearlyWhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #127
s2ktosti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70151
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PearlyWhite1 View Post
so I have been trolling around this thread for a couple of weeks now. bought my 2011 STi last Tuesday. Driving home from going to grab lunch today and guess what? Check engine light comes on along with all the blinky lights and disabled SI/VCD. roughly 29.5K miles on the ODO.

obviously checked the carfax prior to buying and all scheduled maintenance was done and recorded at proper mileage. no mods on it from the previous owner [now anyways if he/she parted it out] and none done by me. hope to hell it isn't what it could possibly be... 1.5 weeks of ownership and < 200 miles driven by me
Unfortunately it's really hard to say what the previous owner really did to it. Could have been his track car that he beat the crap out of every weekend. Could have known about the issues and dumped it. Sucks, but it happens.
s2ktosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #128
STiNemesis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 283467
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The 703
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ktosti View Post
Unfortunately it's really hard to say what the previous owner really did to it. Could have been his track car that he beat the crap out of every weekend. Could have known about the issues and dumped it. Sucks, but it happens.

This is exactly why I would never buy a used STi or any high performance car for that matter. Despite my love for the earlier sedan models (04-07), I just couldn't bring myself to buy used for the fear of the car being beat on by the previous owner. So I ended up with a new STi sedan with 7 mile on the clock

It's the risk you run buying a high performance car used...
STiNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #129
1PearlyWhite1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314976
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cary, NC
Vehicle:
2011 STi 4dr
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ktosti View Post
Unfortunately it's really hard to say what the previous owner really did to it. Could have been his track car that he beat the crap out of every weekend. Could have known about the issues and dumped it. Sucks, but it happens.
understandable indeed. it was sold to me with a warranty, certified so, if it is something major, you better bet they WILL honor my warranty or I will be having some nice discussions with the Floor Manager/GM/Owner of the dealership that sold it to me...
1PearlyWhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #130
mpristave
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 284761
Join Date: Jun 2011
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

OP types like hes from the chinese internet.
mpristave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #131
gordyzero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56219
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
SPW

Default

So I still don't you have my car... upon tear down the tech noted the secondary water jug was overtightened from the factory and wanted to get a new one. He was afraid the check valve may be damaged and didn't want to take any chances. Crap part is , they can't get one till Monday. Then the parts manager called me, a friend of mine who is handling all this for me. He said, " Dude we gave you Subaru oil as part of the deal when you bought this thing, what the hell did you end up putting in this car anyway? , all the cylinder walls have a golden haze. None of the techs have ever seen this at that mileage , what did you do? " well NASIOC members I only used Subaru synthetic,.. something just isnt right with that oil. I dumped it every 3750 .. I am not using that crap again. What do you guys recommend? The head tech recommended I use rotella? Isnt that Shell oil? BTW, the part numbers for the pistons and rings changed for the STI from 2010 to my 2011.. the parts manager thought that was strange. But noted it may mean Subaru finally changed vendors and it means nothing , or perhaps actually finally fixed the issue they have been having? He wasn't sure. But told me to pass it along to the NASIOC members and see what they think. The plot continues to thicken. Crossing my fingers.
gordyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #132
doa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309039
Join Date: Feb 2012
Vehicle:
2004 subaru wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzero View Post
So I still don't you have my car... upon tear down the tech noted the secondary water jug was overtightened from the factory and wanted to get a new one. He was afraid the check valve may be damaged and didn't want to take any chances. Crap part is , they can't get one till Monday. Then the parts manager called me, a friend of mine who is handling all this for me. He said, " Dude we gave you Subaru oil as part of the deal when you bought this thing, what the hell did you end up putting in this car anyway? , all the cylinder walls have a golden haze. None of the techs have ever seen this at that mileage , what did you do? " well NASIOC members I only used Subaru synthetic,.. something just isnt right with that oil. I dumped it every 3750 .. I am not using that crap again. What do you guys recommend? The head tech recommended I use rotella? Isnt that Shell oil? BTW, the part numbers for the pistons and rings changed for the STI from 2010 to my 2011.. the parts manager thought that was strange. But noted it may mean Subaru finally changed vendors and it means nothing , or perhaps actually finally fixed the issue they have been having? He wasn't sure. But told me to pass it along to the NASIOC members and see what they think. The plot continues to thicken. Crossing my fingers.
I heard bad things about the subaru oil and the subaru coolant conditioner. The only subaru fluid I will actually use is the antifreeze. Anyways I hope they did fix the piston issue and you get your car on the road soon.
doa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #133
WRXLTD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136314
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A$$achusetts
Vehicle:
2014 Grand Cherokee

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzero View Post

BTW, the part numbers for the pistons and rings changed for the STI from 2010 to my 2011. The parts manager thought that was strange. But noted it may mean Subaru finally changed vendors and it means nothing , or perhaps actually finally fixed the issue they have been having?
I find this statement very interesting.

Can anyone confirm this?
WRXLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #134
BigRob74
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
360/386 E85

Default

boy i cant wait to get that crap 5w30 sube oil out and some T6 in!
BigRob74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #135
Griever423
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 118749
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNemesis View Post
This is exactly why I would never buy a used STi or any high performance car for that matter. Despite my love for the earlier sedan models (04-07), I just couldn't bring myself to buy used for the fear of the car being beat on by the previous owner. So I ended up with a new STi sedan with 7 mile on the clock

It's the risk you run buying a high performance car used...
Hell it's a risk buying one brand new! All the stories about piston blown on the stock tune with no mods made me decide to never buy another turbo subaru.
Griever423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #136
M///Scooby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 28117
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: So Cali OC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

Default

Well this is sad to hear as I am planning on purchasing a 2012 WRX. Now I'll have to re-think this after this thread.
M///Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #137
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever423 View Post
Hell it's a risk buying one brand new! All the stories about piston blown on the stock tune with no mods made me decide to never buy another turbo subaru.
So you bought a Mustang GT which are known to have transmission and engine issues.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #138
Griever423
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 118749
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
So you bought a Mustang GT which are known to have transmission and engine issues.
I boght a 2012 on purpose for the transmission reason alone. The transmission issue was mainly with the 2011's with the bolts on the flywheel backing off and other issues. My tranny is just fine, just the stock shifter assembly/bushing are crap.

Haven't heard much on the engine problems except when you start trying to tune them which I don't plan on doing. Plenty of people pushing 600 whp with bone stock engine and a supercharger of some kind. I'm perfectly fine pushing close to 400 whp with only bolt ons and also would like to keep my warranty so yeah.

Hell my instrucor at my last NASA event had at ~4000 track miles on his 2011 gt with not a single problem.


All that being said, I still miss my STi every day. *sigh*

Last edited by Griever423; 04-08-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Griever423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #139
WRXLTD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136314
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A$$achusetts
Vehicle:
2014 Grand Cherokee

Default

^

Good luck with that Chinese made 6 sp manual transmission.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...transmissions/
WRXLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #140
JonzFaSTi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85575
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County, CA
Vehicle:
2013 STi
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Everyone with this ringland failure/CEL issues should file a complaint with NHTSA and then maybe Subaru will look into trying to find a solution to the problems we are having.

They only got 32 complaints about it before starting an investigation, really?
JonzFaSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #141
b1aze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 284003
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Marlborough, MA
Vehicle:
2010 Alpine 135i

Default

A blown up transmission on the highway is a whole lot more dangerous than a cracked ringland.
b1aze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #142
scramjett
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 192526
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX FMIC/VF48
Red/Steel Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXLTD View Post
^

Good luck with that Chinese made 6 sp manual transmission.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...transmissions/
Yeah, good luck to him with his 5 year / 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty...

As opposed to a turbocharged car with cast pistons and a lean factory tune? And post, after post, of bone stock cars needing engines to be torn down and rebuilt? What's the warranty on our car? 3 years and 36k?
scramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #143
pux888
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8356
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
02 STi swap
12 WRX limited

Default

5 years/60 K power train.
pux888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #144
WRXLTD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136314
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A$$achusetts
Vehicle:
2014 Grand Cherokee

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramjett View Post

Yeah, good luck to him with his 5 year / 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty...
Multiple trips to the stealership for warranty repairs on a transmission sucks, period...regardless how long your warranty goes to. And who's to say the Ford stealership won't blame the owner for the issues? Just about anything made in China is a cheap POS.

Quote:
As opposed to a turbocharged car with cast pistons and a lean factory tune? And post, after post, of bone stock cars needing engines to be torn down and rebuilt? What's the warranty on our car? 3 years and 36k?
Do you have an exact number of stock 2008+ motors that have blown? Do you also have definitive proof for every stock motor that blew that it wasn't the drivers fault in anyway?
WRXLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #145
JohnsonJ718
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312938
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2012 STi Hatch
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXLTD View Post
Do you have an exact number of stock 2008+ motors that have blown? Do you also have definitive proof for every stock motor that blew that it wasn't the drivers fault in anyway?
I would pay a lot for this info... lol
JohnsonJ718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #146
scramjett
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 192526
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX FMIC/VF48
Red/Steel Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXLTD View Post
And who's to say the Ford stealership won't blame the owner for the issues? Just about anything made in China is a cheap POS.
What if a bullfrog had wings? -- it wouldn't bump it's butt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXLTD View Post
Do you have an exact number of stock 2008+ motors that have blown? Do you also have definitive proof for every stock motor that blew that it wasn't the drivers fault in anyway?
Yeah, I have access to Subaru's warranty database. And I'm not sharing it with anyone... pfft.

If you want to pretend to be an ostrich and stick your head in the sand, that's an individual decision. If you want proof, then just consider cast pistons in a turbocharged motor, with a lean stock tune, and post after post from owners with piston issues.

Seems like you're taking the side of the dealerships and blaming owners for thir issues without proof. Hmmm...

By the way, I didn't know Subaru's transmissions were bullet proof. Enlighten the rest of us!

Last edited by scramjett; 04-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.
scramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #147
WRXLTD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136314
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A$$achusetts
Vehicle:
2014 Grand Cherokee

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramjett View Post

What if a bullfrog had wings? -- it wouldn't bump it's butt.
Put the frog down and pull up your pants...focus now. Are you saying Ford stealerships wouldn't try to blame the owner for multiple transmission problems?



Quote:
If you want to pretend to be an ostrich and stick your head in the sand, that's an individual decision. If you want proof, then just consider cast pistons in a turbocharged motor, with a lean stock tune, and post after post from owners with piston issues.
I have no intentions of running the stock crappy tune when I pick up my new 2012 STI. Never said I was going to.

Quote:
Seems like you're taking the side of the dealerships and blaming owners for thir issues without proof. Hmmm...
Exactly. That's why I keep referring to them as "stealerships"



Quote:
By the way, I didn't know Subaru's transmissions were bullet proof. Enlighten the rest of us!
I'll take my 6 sp STI tranny over that Chinese POS in the Mustang any day.
WRXLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #148
STiNemesis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 283467
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The 703
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXLTD View Post


I'll take my hand-built 6 sp STI tranny over that Chinese POS in the Mustang any day.
There you go - that's better.
STiNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #149
Griever423
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 118749
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
WRB

Default

Geez...I didn't think people would get so worked up over a silly transmission. Where is dave when you need him?

If I did have any complaint about the car it would be the tranny tbh. It's a little rough when it's cold but after that it shifts just as good as my STi transmission did.
Griever423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #150
gordyzero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56219
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
SPW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever423
Geez...I didn't think people would get so worked up over a silly transmission. Where is dave when you need him?

If I did have any complaint about the car it would be the tranny tbh. It's a little rough when it's cold but after that it shifts just as good as my STi transmission did.
So maybe the chinese kid dikked up your transmission when he built it at the ipod factory. , I don't like Mustangs based on residual value alone. But tell us, how are your pistons ? And also what stickers do you have on the side window? " No Fear ", "Summit racing "? ....
gordyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 STi Sedan 305/368 EFI Tuned krotondo Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 1 09-22-2011 02:46 AM
***PhatBotti Tuned: E85'ed 2011 STi, 330whp!! Per Gear Data + Tuning Discussed*** PhatBotti Tuning TKR Proven Power Bragging 54 06-24-2011 11:58 AM
2011 STI OTS map vs Pro tune Jose Gordils Newbies & FAQs 6 05-09-2011 12:08 PM
2011 STi V-Limited LIPS IN STOCK! Yeah we got them! RallySport Direct Vendor 'General Sale' Forum 1 11-08-2010 04:03 PM
07 STI Blown Piston or Ring? 07stilover Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 49 01-25-2008 02:24 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.