Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
SittinSubyNW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312804
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
1993 impreza
blue

Default forester ej20 vs sti ej20

Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have been doing some looking around for ej20g front clips for a project I would like to start on my 1999 OBS. Recently I ran across a guy who has a 1998 JDM forester ej20 front clip for sale. My question is, what are the differences between the ej20 motor/tranny that came in the forester and the ej20 motor/tranny that came in the V2 STI's?

Thanks for your time Guys, looking forward to learning more about these motors!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SittinSubyNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
elislider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133923
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
03 Legacy GT wagon
I love goooollllllllddddd

Default

v1/2 is EJ20G. coil on plug, angled-entry turbo, mechanical DOHC heads usually. in a word: older.

v3/4 is EJ20K for WRX sedan and all STI, but for WRX wagon (plain model) and turbo Foresters, its still called EJ20G. around here we just call it the "late ej20g" even though for all purposes is it essentially an EJ20K (regarding electronics and the style of engine). basically the late ej20g is a very basic version of the EJ20K WRX/STi. they have a wingle coilpack, front-entry turbo (like all newer turbo subarus), and are newer technology than the v1/2 EJ20G, and are most similar to the USDM EJ25D (1998 RS for example)

I say, if the price is the same, always go for a newer model engine, unless there is a specific reason you want the older one. for example, between a v5/6 STi and a v3/4 STi, i'd take the v5/6 obviously. But between a v5/6 WRX and a v3/4 STi, i'd take the v3/4 STi because it its got more power. the only v1/2 (EJ20G) options worth really considering (seeing how newer ones arent much more expensive, if at all) are the EJ20G STi/RA models because of the forged internals and other possible perks like 5th injector and/or hand-built/blueprinted. otherwise stick with a v3+ STi IMO
elislider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
SittinSubyNW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312804
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
1993 impreza
blue

Default

Do the late ej20g motors like the one that comes in the forester have forged internals as well? Or is that part of what makes it an STI? And when you say its a basic version of what came in the WRX/STI, what other options came on the motor for the STI?
SittinSubyNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittinSubyNW View Post
Do the late ej20g motors like the one that comes in the forester have forged internals as well? Or is that part of what makes it an STI? And when you say its a basic version of what came in the WRX/STI, what other options came on the motor for the STI?
I'm really confused how an STi engine has 'options'. BTW, many STi engines didn't have forged pistons. The differences between a Late G and an STi K are injectors, turbocharger and camshafts.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
wagonryan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163756
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
1996 R/RA

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
I'm really confused how an STi engine has 'options'. BTW, many STi engines didn't have forged pistons. The differences between a Late G and an STi K are injectors, turbocharger and camshafts.
I'm guessing they did a lot of experimenting back then. Technically, the older STis were just WRX that were pulled off assembly and retrofitted with "options". My DCCD system is completely standalone; they just added it to the stock WRX harness with the other parts and called it an STi.

Did anyone come up with a list of (if any) engines came with forged pistons/internals? Does my EJ20g from a '95 V2 STi-RA have anything cool besides this stupid 5th injector?
wagonryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonryan

I'm guessing they did a lot of experimenting back then. Technically, the older STis were just WRX that were pulled off assembly and retrofitted with "options". My DCCD system is completely standalone; they just added it to the stock WRX harness with the other parts and called it an STi.

Did anyone come up with a list of (if any) engines came with forged pistons/internals? Does my EJ20g from a '95 V2 STi-RA have anything cool besides this stupid 5th injector?
Forged pistons IF the original customer wanted it.

That 5th injector could be utilized with a stand alone after market ECU and make some stupid power. A G4 would be mint.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
elislider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133923
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
03 Legacy GT wagon
I love goooollllllllddddd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittinSubyNW View Post
Do the late ej20g motors like the one that comes in the forester have forged internals as well? Or is that part of what makes it an STI? And when you say its a basic version of what came in the WRX/STI, what other options came on the motor for the STI?
no, the "late ej20g" aka turbo forester or basic wrx wagon had plain internals, non forged. v1-2 STi probably had forged pistons though. the v3-7 STi has forged pistons. v7+ also has forged rods (like usdm EJ257)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
I'm really confused how an STi engine has 'options'. BTW, many STi engines didn't have forged pistons. The differences between a Late G and an STi K are injectors, turbocharger and camshafts.
not many STI engines didnt have forged pistons. some of the early ones probably, but all v3-7 STi are forged pistons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonryan View Post
I'm guessing they did a lot of experimenting back then. Technically, the older STis were just WRX that were pulled off assembly and retrofitted with "options". My DCCD system is completely standalone; they just added it to the stock WRX harness with the other parts and called it an STi.
while that IS true for the v1-2 WRX/STi, all v3+ came from the factory with the parts as configured. I think it was only the v1 STi RA that had DCCD that was fitted off the production line. Those v1 STi were special and the RA ones were hand selected, hand built, blueprinted, etc. thats why the v1 STi say "handcrafted and tuned by STi" and later models just say "tuned by STi".
Quote:
Did anyone come up with a list of (if any) engines came with forged pistons/internals? Does my EJ20g from a '95 V2 STi-RA have anything cool besides this stupid 5th injector?
someone somewhere has a list quoted of what engines/models had forged pistons. all the RA versions and some STi (at least for v1/2 EJ20G) if i recall correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
Forged pistons IF the original customer wanted it.

That 5th injector could be utilized with a stand alone after market ECU and make some stupid power. A G4 would be mint.
by "if the customer wanted it" I think you just mean "if the customer wanted to buy an RA version" then they were hand built off the line
elislider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elislider View Post
not many STI engines didnt have forged pistons. some of the early ones probably, but all v3-7 STi are forged pistons.
Explain to me why I've come across many STi short blocks across the range with factory cast pistons then.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Marnix
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 51480
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: The Netherlands
Vehicle:
1984 AM5, 1994 BC4,
2010 BR5

Default

All V1-V2 STI have cast pistons, only the Type RA engines had forged pistons. After that the V3-V6 in the GC8 STI have forged pistons. All GC8 engines have the same rods. The 'better' rods came in the V7 and up STI engines, the same rods are in the USDM EJ257.

The EJ20G Forester engine is just a plain engine with high compression ratio for improved driveability and economy. Not so good for high boost or tuning.
Marnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
elislider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133923
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
03 Legacy GT wagon
I love goooollllllllddddd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
Explain to me why I've come across many STi short blocks across the range with factory cast pistons then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
All V1-V2 STI have cast pistons, only the Type RA engines had forged pistons. After that the V3-V6 in the GC8 STI have forged pistons. All GC8 engines have the same rods. The 'better' rods came in the V7 and up STI engines, the same rods are in the USDM EJ257.
this is what i was trying to say. thx marnix
elislider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
TommyAtomic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 257043
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver BC
Vehicle:
1993 JDM WRX Wagon
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
Forged pistons IF the original customer wanted it.

That 5th injector could be utilized with a stand alone after market ECU and make some stupid power. A G4 would be mint.
I dunno about "Stupid power" But I've seen one of the RA's with the 5th injector and you are right about it just siting there plugged in doing nothing until you plug in some engine management with a tune designed to use it. At that point I believe it kicked in at the MAX flow point of the stock injectors. Not quite stupid power but it allowed for slightly exceeding the maximum fueling from the stock injectors.

I've also heard of it being used as part of an anti-lag tune. But I do not remember where I read that so it may be complete crap.
TommyAtomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAtomic View Post
I dunno about "Stupid power" But I've seen one of the RA's with the 5th injector and you are right about it just siting there plugged in doing nothing until you plug in some engine management with a tune designed to use it. At that point I believe it kicked in at the MAX flow point of the stock injectors. Not quite stupid power but it allowed for slightly exceeding the maximum fueling from the stock injectors.

I've also heard of it being used as part of an anti-lag tune. But I do not remember where I read that so it may be complete crap.
The entire point of the 5th injector is purely to meet homologation requirements for Grp A like how the ST205 Celica GT4 RC road car has the antilag disabled at the ECU, but everything is all there to run it. if it were to be enabled, then it would allow more power to be made at a lower duty cycle.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jdm gc8 Ej20 Vs Usdm Gd8 Ej20 majik16106 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 9 12-27-2011 02:56 PM
sti vs wrx ej20 o2 sensors? interchangable? supernick77 Newbies & FAQs 1 07-14-2009 04:46 PM
Forester EJ20 and WRX EJ20 differences... grivero Newbies & FAQs 1 05-20-2009 03:23 AM
JDM EJ20 vs US EJ20? kyouhakuteki Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 9 08-08-2008 02:50 PM
Shortblock weight vs WRX ej20 vs. STi ej257???? superg Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 0 11-17-2007 07:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.