Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #101
paulpat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 237145
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 562
Vehicle:
02 WRX
12 FXT

Default

Can I bring up the question again of why the peak boost is so late? approx 4.4k?

I am looking for a new turbo and I think I might get this if it spools quick. I want insta-spool but I think my td04 is going out so I dont know if I should get a replacement or this...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
paulpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #102
ppayer38
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234407
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Smithfield, VA
Vehicle:
04 Self-tooned
STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpat
Can I bring up the question again of why the peak boost is so late? approx 4.4k?

I am looking for a new turbo and I think I might get this if it spools quick. I want insta-spool but I think my td04 is going out so I dont know if I should get a replacement or this...
Your putting to much on when it reachable full boost... Check out the time it takes to get to 4400rpm and how much power he is making from 2k-4500 vs your td04.

And even know this is classifies as s 16g it is not cause the compressor wheel is bigger than the Evo 3 16g(biggest OEM 16g) and idk if this uses the TD05H turbine wheel or not
ppayer38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #103
thisisntjared
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 177891
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: south jersey
Vehicle:
06 wrx wagon
child seat/tow hitch cgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpat View Post
Can I bring up the question again of why the peak boost is so late? approx 4.4k?

I am looking for a new turbo and I think I might get this if it spools quick. I want insta-spool but I think my td04 is going out so I dont know if I should get a replacement or this...
2.0 liter with fmic spinning up to 23psi on the largest "16g" i have heard of as evidenced by 0 boost taper toward redline.

Last edited by thisisntjared; 08-07-2012 at 08:20 AM.
thisisntjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #104
ppayer38
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234407
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Smithfield, VA
Vehicle:
04 Self-tooned
STi

Default

The only thing that I'm trying to figure out is all the Evo III 16g's including the XT and XTR have the same size compressor wheel minus blade width, blade thickness, and blade length so why are these spooling later with the lighter billet wheel?

I know the XTR has a smaller turbine wheel(barely even when you do the #'s) but a bigger turbine housing which should offset maybe increase spool time a bit as shown by the results....

But it seems to be a pretty huge difference in spool by rpm(not time) and Id like to know why?
ppayer38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #105
Concillian
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4414
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppayer38 View Post
The only thing that I'm trying to figure out is all the Evo III 16g's including the XT and XTR have the same size compressor wheel minus blade width, blade thickness, and blade length so why are these spooling later with the lighter billet wheel?
I don't think you can draw the conclusion you're making from one dyno plot.

This:
http://efilogics.com/dyno/index.php?...rgb4=153000255

Demonstrates that there are probably other factors at play here, as the 16G-XT doesn't look to really have much different a boost threshold than a 16G-Evo3. The conclusion I draw is that the billet wheel is not the cause of Unabomber's car spooling later. It may be as simple as cold tubular header spool vs. hot header or cast manifold spool. Tubular headers spool a LOT different 1st pull vs. 2nd pull 20 seconds after the first pull.

Last edited by Concillian; 08-09-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #106
ppayer38
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234407
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Smithfield, VA
Vehicle:
04 Self-tooned
STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concillian

I don't think you can draw the conclusion you're making from one dyno plot.

This:
http://efilogics.com/dyno/index.php?...rgb4=153000255

Demonstrates that there are probably other factors at play here, as the 16G-XT doesn't look to really have much different a boost threshold than a 16G-Evo3. The conclusion I draw is that the billet wheel is not the cause of Unabomber's car spooling later. It may be as simple as cold tubular header spool vs. hot header or cast manifold spool. Tubular headers spool a LOT different 1st pull vs. 2nd pull 20 seconds after the first pull.
It cant be cold spool as he did a few pulls for the logs... In theory it should be better all around and I understand they spool different and have to be tuned different to get the quickest spool.

I've looked at kbt nd in the end the Evo III still outspools then all with the same boost taper up top as the XT... The XTR is different cause it has a different turbine wheel
ppayer38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #107
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

I called Mike at Blouch and talked to him at length about the new 16G XTR. I currently have the 16G XT and wanted to upgrade.

End result is that the XTR WILL spool later than the 16G XT, but transient response (in between shifts for example will be much better).

At the end of our conversation, I decided to keep my 16G XT...

If I ever decided to build a 2.1 liter motor, than maybe I'd go for the XTR...



- Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #108
ppayer38
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234407
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Smithfield, VA
Vehicle:
04 Self-tooned
STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
I called Mike at Blouch and talked to him at length about the new 16G XTR. I currently have the 16G XT and wanted to upgrade.

End result is that the XTR WILL spool later than the 16G XT, but transient response (in between shifts for example will be much better).

At the end of our conversation, I decided to keep my 16G XT...

If I ever decided to build a 2.1 liter motor, than maybe I'd go for the XTR...



- Paulie
I agree with this as it had a smaller turbine wheel but a bigger turbine housing with the same compressor wheel and ball bearing center section... The XTR will win in every way.

I just wish some specs would come out of the compressor wheel so we could compare to the hta68 and the OE Evo III...

I do agree though if you have a OE 16g stay with it, the XT and XTR arnt worth the upgrade unless you are buying to replace a blown unit or upgrading to a bigger turbo
ppayer38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #109
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppayer38 View Post
I agree with this as it had a smaller turbine wheel but a bigger turbine housing with the same compressor wheel and ball bearing center section... The XTR will win in every way.

I just wish some specs would come out of the compressor wheel so we could compare to the hta68 and the OE Evo III...

I do agree though if you have a OE 16g stay with it, the XT and XTR arnt worth the upgrade unless you are buying to replace a blown unit or upgrading to a bigger turbo
As I mentioned, per Mike at Blouch, the XTR will spool later than the XT, so it will not win in every way...
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #110
awhwhite
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328699
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: greenville sc
Vehicle:
03 bugeye wagon
aspen white

Default

so what is the difference between the .5 dominator and this one beside $300?
awhwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #111
mcmikecruz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162177
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhwhite
so what is the difference between the .5 dominator and this one beside $300?
+1 . .
mcmikecruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #112
WOTisfreedom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192212
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fairfax,VA
Vehicle:
2004 S203ish WRX
Smurf'd OUT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikecruz View Post
+1 . .
I agree !
WOTisfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #113
Wookie768
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90055
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bradford, MA / Clarksville TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Default

any word about this getting released soon?
Wookie768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #114
07imprezRS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164302
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal, formerly from Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 STi Sedan DGM
& 02 WRB WRX

Default

The turbo? It is for sale and has been for a while... Along with 18gxtr, and 20gxtr
07imprezRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #115
Wookie768
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90055
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bradford, MA / Clarksville TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Default

o0o, didnt know, i had been looking on importimage racing for it, have not seen it on there
Wookie768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #116
sevier2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295516
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego area
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default

I'm curious how this Turbo would do with a TMIC. I always heard the 16g's have been too small for a FMIC which only made lag worse. Would spool be better with a TMIC? Or is this thing efficient enough you wanna go Front Mount?
sevier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #117
424wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
08 wrx vf52,stg3
11 forester,14 legacy dd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
I'm curious how this Turbo would do with a TMIC. I always heard the 16g's have been too small for a FMIC which only made lag worse. Would spool be better with a TMIC? Or is this thing efficient enough you wanna go Front Mount?
spool will only be a little affected. there are people with fmic on stock turbos.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #118
sevier2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295516
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego area
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
spool will only be a little affected. there are people with fmic on stock turbos.
Affected how? I ask because I already have an upgraded TMIC and dont want to move to a FMIC if I can still get decent power.
sevier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #119
424wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
08 wrx vf52,stg3
11 forester,14 legacy dd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
Affected how? I ask because I already have an upgraded TMIC and dont want to move to a FMIC if I can still get decent power.
you will have a little lag. the tubes have to be filled with air. its just physics man.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #120
Slvr2k
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 298805
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Dutchess County Ny
Vehicle:
04 Subaru
Platinum Silver

Default

That is some nice numbers and not really to far off from what I've seen on 2.0s with a fmic.
I am currently considering this turbo for my 2.0 or the 18gxt with fmic wondering which would spool faster with the fmic...
Slvr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #121
overb00st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 297501
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit MI
Vehicle:
04 WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
you will have a little lag. the tubes have to be filled with air. its just physics man.
you're referring to the FMIC setup correct? FMIC...more piping, more length for the air to travel...slightly more lag, but most people don't report noticing it much. Also, buying a GS EBCS will help reduce lag.
overb00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #122
sburck
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191491
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lexington, MA
Vehicle:
2011 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrXtaCy2003 View Post
I dont ever post in PPB but.....I know going rotated is a big step from stock location, but my bros .63 3076 spools as fast/faster than this, and makes more power....is the reason to get a turbo like that mainly because of the task/money involved in going rotated? I'm not hating AT ALL, just curious.

DK
I think you are confusing responsiveness with peak boost rpm. It is on a 2.0 but to be clear I think he is saying that the turbo spools fast when he gives it gas and the motor is already revving in its sweet spot. Don't confuse turbo lag with lack of boost at low rpm's. They are different things.
sburck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #123
Dat8687
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 243261
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Forney
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Java black pearl

Default

DAMM look at that LAG
Dat8687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #124
T-37
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175624
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
1234 RIGHT IN THE
SYRUP

Default

I'm very likely going with this turbo on my ej205 (along with PW TMIC, AMR inlet, and TGV deletes).

Would there be any benefit to doing the 3" inlet compressor housing for $50 more? Does it do anything more than complicate installation?
T-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #125
CraftyCraft
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340451
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson
Vehicle:
2004 "Franken-STi"
Aspen White

Default

Any word on how to order one of these welded up for a EWG setup? Would they weld one up for me?
CraftyCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS : LA/Socal: New Blouch Evo III Big 16G, supporting mods, Greddy Ti-C Sokana SCIC Private Classifieds 9 04-09-2012 06:29 AM
*Help* I need help choosing the better 16g..TD05 Big 16g or FP 16g or EvoIII 16g? min88 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 4 10-04-2009 12:38 AM
FS: Blouch Big Evo III 16G, Deatschwerks, TIAL44 EWG, Process West TMIC, Walbro specialev NWIC Private Classifieds 9 06-04-2009 03:54 AM
FS in WA: Blouch Big Evo III 16G, Deatschwerks, TIAL44 EWG, Process West TMIC,Walbro specialev Engine/Power/Exhaust 19 06-04-2009 03:54 AM
FS: Blouch Evo III Big 16g (Pics) Boxer4u Engine/Power/Exhaust 17 10-15-2007 10:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.