Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 23, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
WindowFrog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 218561
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default I Hate Hail

I regret to inform that I was caught in 2 hail storms this year and my 2002 WRX now closely resembles a golf ball. Which is ironic considering it also got hit with a golf ball. Regardless, any tips on getting small dings out? I know I can get a someone to come out and do it, but at an exorbitant cost considering how many there are. Thanks all.
WindowFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
pete25r
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 272964
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

About 2 months after I got my bugeye it was beat down in a hail storm, neighbor got it worse, couldn't open his hood without metal rubbing.

I took some of my dents out a couple of different ways. For the roof I dropped the headliner and used a screwdriver and cloth to work most of them out. What I did with the screwdriver was hold it handle end, it was round with a flatish spot on top, against the metal of the roof with the cloth folded over a few times.

I had to play around with what angle but I would push up against the metal and slide it away from me and watch the little dings come out. Pull it back slightly altering the angle of attack and it would pull some more out. I could see where the end of the handle was on top as I moved it back and forth. Don't push up too hard or you'll be making some raised bumps.

I also found a clever (redneck engineer?) way to work on some of the other areas where there where supports blocking access to the metal. For this you'll need a drill, a hot glue gun, some hardcore (roofing?) thumbtacks and a pair of pliers.

Take a few of your thumbtacks and drill 3-4 holes in them, I forget what size I drilled. Make them big enough for a little hot glue to flow through when you press it down. Be sure to remove any burs/ruff edges after drilling. Feel free to dull the pointy ends, it's not necisary though.
Ok so 3-4 thumbtacks with holes.

Plug in/warm up the hot glue gun. Look over the area your going to work on, clean of any dirt, bird poo, etc. Get the thumbtacks and glue gun handy after you found a few dings to work on. Basic idea is to apply the hot glue place thumbtack in the glue while its still hot, let it set/cool and pull off with a yank using the pliers. When applying the glue it works best on a cool hood, not in direct sunlight. Also on the big dings, bigger than the thumbtack, start on a side of the depression. Pulling from the middle could give you a high point.
You can glue up 3-4 thumbtacks at a time as long as they aren't in the same hole.
CLeaning up after pulling can be a pain, I found putting a little water on the glue on the hood and working it back and forth helps it come off. I did this almost a year ago so I'm probably forgeting some details or other pointers. I still need to do some more work my hood and trunk.

This is not a great fix but will get some of the nasty dings out and you won't be out much on supplies. Your neighbors will look at you all crazy too.
pete25r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
WindowFrog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 218561
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Man, sorry to hear your bugeye got it so bad. I really appreciate the feedback and ideas here. Definitely worth a try. Thank you for the time you took to share these methods.
WindowFrog is offline   Reply With Quote