Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Tolew45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 242868
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
EJ205 - Silver

Default Quaker State and Pennzoil recommendations - product line and oil weight

Hi all, I am looking to do some rebates with Quaker State and Pennzoil, and am looking for 1)recommendation of oil line and 2)weight/grade of oils from these company. Something that is good for Subarus and won't shear down in weight that easily.

I am running a '02 WRX engine with around 100,xxx miles.

I am not sure if I should run the High-mileage lines or Full Synthetic oils (or synthetic blends). Also both brands don't have 5w-40 like Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck.

Trying to take care of the car and save some money at the same time.
Will probably be picked up at a Walmart, Autozone, or O'Reilly's.

Previously I have used 5w-30 Valvoline Synpower for a hand-full of times, Pennzoil Platinum, G Oil, and most recently 5w-40 Shell Rotella T6. Have used OEM filters and PureONE Puralator filters. I change oil at around 4k-5.5k intervals, usually having to add in maybe half a quart of oil on average.

Thanks in advance!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Tolew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
subi400
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216984
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Hayden, ID
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza outback
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolew45 View Post
Hi all, I am looking to do some rebates with Quaker State and Pennzoil, and am looking for 1)recommendation of oil line and 2)weight/grade of oils from these company. Something that is good for Subarus and won't shear down in weight that easily.

I am running a '02 WRX engine with around 100,xxx miles.

I am not sure if I should run the High-mileage lines or Full Synthetic oils (or synthetic blends). Also both brands don't have 5w-40 like Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck.

Trying to take care of the car and save some money at the same time.
Will probably be picked up at a Walmart, Autozone, or O'Reilly's.

Previously I have used 5w-30 Valvoline Synpower for a hand-full of times, Pennzoil Platinum, G Oil, and most recently 5w-40 Shell Rotella T6. Have used OEM filters and PureONE Puralator filters. I change oil at around 4k-5.5k intervals, usually having to add in maybe half a quart of oil on average.

Thanks in advance!
Have you searched at all..here on Nasioc..??? Since this has been covered a bunch of times I am going to say two things: 1. you can run either the higher mileage oil like a 10w40, valvoline maxlife higher mileage is good stuff or simply run the shell rotella T-6 5w40 and stop worrying about this..ok..

The other thing is: 2. If you would of researched some of the threads about how well the shell Rotella T-6 5w40 does in a turbo subaru then you wouldn't of made this thread/post Because going from this type of oil to the quaker stuff will not cut it..period..no matter what deal that you might get.
subi400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quaker State Defy 10W-30 or 10W-40. More zinc.
Or Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 if you can find it (probably not). Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Rotella are all owned by SOPUS and are likely using the same base stocks (just blended differently for different applications).

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Tolew45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 242868
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
EJ205 - Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi400 View Post
Have you searched at all..here on Nasioc..??? Since this has been covered a bunch of times I am going to say two things: 1. you can run either the higher mileage oil like a 10w40, valvoline maxlife higher mileage is good stuff or simply run the shell rotella T-6 5w40 and stop worrying about this..ok..

The other thing is: 2. If you would of researched some of the threads about how well the shell Rotella T-6 5w40 does in a turbo subaru then you wouldn't of made this thread/post Because going from this type of oil to the quaker stuff will not cut it..period..no matter what deal that you might get.
Yes, I have searched extensively on NASIOC, and there was not much information specifically on Quaker State and Pennzoil. That's why I asked. I know 5w-40 oils like Shell Rotella T6 and Mobil1 TDT are good, but there has to also be other oils from other companies that do comparably, and not all like Mobil1 5w-30s that shear to -20 weight and break bearings.

And like Dennis have said, Pennzoil, Quaker State and Rotella are all owned by Shell.

If I can get a deal on these oils that are not that bad for the car, for almost practically free or <$1/ quart, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Quaker State Defy 10W-30 or 10W-40. More zinc.
Or Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 if you can find it (probably not). Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Rotella are all owned by SOPUS and are likely using the same base stocks (just blended differently for different applications).

-Dennis
Thanks Dennis for the reply. I will probably go with one of the QS Defy 10w-40

I'll try to look for the Pennzoil Euro 5w-40, what would be the next best choice? Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30, 10w-30, or Pennzoil High Mileage 10w-40?
Tolew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Pennzoil 10W-30 "should be" more stable than the 5W-30 but you can actually find some PU 5W-30 uoa's posted here in this forum. I don't run Resource Conserving oils and there isn't much consistent data on them (2-3 short uoa's at most?). Probably since so many people jump ship to RT6 and there have been some good 6-7,500 mile uoa's on it. Pennzoil HM is conventional which is why I recommended Defy.

IMO, it's tough to try to be brand loyal and want a robust, low cost oil. Even though Pennzoil gave me a case of 5W-40 for free, I haven't been brand loyal with their oil for my FXT (although I'm running Pennzoil HM in the '00 RS). Isn't your car worth more than $1 a quart oil?

-Dennis

Last edited by bluesubie; 04-12-2012 at 06:07 PM.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Tolew45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 242868
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
EJ205 - Silver

Default

Times are hard, now a days. I'll try to get some UOAs in the future.

Yeah, a bit hard getting information on other brands in Subarus with all the people jump shipping to RT6.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll see what I can learn over at BITOG, about UOA and such.
Tolew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

w0w...yet another oil thread

this is like who shot JR???
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
oceanwater48
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 315882
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: International
Location: exit 483
Vehicle:
V8 U make
Baby Poop

Default

^^^ lol grumpy old man.

OP, you can use 10w 50 if you like, just use whatever you want. Its your car.
oceanwater48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

^^^ lol



what else for ya today

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 04-13-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
Tolew45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 242868
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
EJ205 - Silver

Default

FWIW, this just came in on BITOG. It's a VOA on Quaker State Defy 5w-30

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2583345&page=2

Definitely has less Zinc and Phosphorus than Shell Rotella T6, but more Calcium.
Although it did say this on the Defy Product Sheet:
"**50% additional low volatility zinc in 10W-40 API SN, other viscosity grades contain 25% more zinc."

So, 10w-40 may have comparable ZDDP to Rotella T6; however, I could not find that weight at my Walmart.
Tolew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolew45
FWIW, this just came in on BITOG. It's a VOA on Quaker State Defy 5w-30

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2583345&page=2

Definitely has less Zinc and Phosphorus than Shell Rotella T6, but more Calcium.
Although it did say this on the Defy Product Sheet:
"**50% additional low volatility zinc in 10W-40 API SN, other viscosity grades contain 25% more zinc."

So, 10w-40 may have comparable ZDDP to Rotella T6; however, I could not find that weight at my Walmart.
That's no more zinc than any SN/GF5 oil. IMO, either BS's ZDDP numbers are too low (happens often) or Defy has more "low volatility zinc" than other oils but no more of the non-volatility zinc than other oils. I would guess the numbers are off since Defy meets the SL spec which has higher anti-wear additives.

More info on BS zinc levels:
http://www.penngrade1.com/Zinc.aspx

There was an RT6 uoa over at Subaruoutback.org that had low levels of ZDDP. I pointed it out and the OP had it retested and the levels came back higher.
Quote:
Says Blackstone:

"Amended report. The additives were indeed low, and we actually re-ran this sample three times to see what was going on. It was a calibration problem, and for that we apologize..."

New results are 10-20% higher across the board:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...engine-17.html

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: front and rear sways, SS brake lines and struts mashedpaters Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 5 04-29-2009 02:52 PM
Attn: I have a STi and live in GA.(hot weather) what oil weight should I use? SolidSnake Service & Maintenance 18 07-08-2005 08:29 AM
First US 2005 Legacy and Outback Roll Off Production Line Today Jon [in CT] News & Rumors 25 03-01-2004 10:21 AM
AC line and larger intercoolers - STi lines? ndw1138 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 3 06-19-2003 07:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.