Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
South West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default Forester/Outback off roading

I have been seriously considering making my next vehicle an off roader. Im looking to take the family on trips up to Crown King and along dirt roads north of the valley for hiking and the such. My problem is that all the good 4x4s get horrible gas mileage and this vehicle also has to be my daily driver.

So I got to looking at the Forester and the Outbacks. Both of them have decent ground clearance but how do they actually do off road? I wouldnt be rock crawling but Id like to be able to make it over some rough terrain found on the dirt trail.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
yman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 199051
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: mesa, az
Vehicle:
04 sti
psm

Default

yman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Some of the related videos show some pretty good off roading. Now I just wish they made the new XT with a manual. How is the 4 speed auto? Any problems with them if I were to get an XT and have it tuned?
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
brocksdad
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 107352
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
Not Respectable

Default

I drove a 2012 FXT a couple weeks ago. I loved it. I couldn't imagine any kind of problems as far as tuning goes. I just don't know how the tranny would hold the extra power and torque.
brocksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Doesn't the FXT have the same ECU and trans as the first-gen 2.5L WRX?
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post
Doesn't the FXT have the same ECU and trans as the first-gen 2.5L WRX?

The new ones have an auto 4 speed tranny.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
aenene_scoobi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296160
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: with JayWRX2004
Vehicle:
2012 FXT
Silver

Default

having a new 2012 FXT (the one brocksdad drove to be specific) and it being completely stock, i can say that we traded in a very capable 2008 Jeep Liberty Trail Rated (it has the steel skid plates etc to protect stuff, plus the towing gear, 2x4, 4low and 4high) that we took all sorts of places that pretty much had people going "Thats a liberty?!" Plus it was our daily.

The new Foresters have more clearance (xt's have 8.9), and sit lower, meaning you dont have that whole "Am i going to tip" buttpucker factor going on. You have lots of visability, the turbo provides a nice amount of torque as its the TD04 and it just wants to go! Brocksdad drove ours around the lot with 5 adults crammed into it and even with all the weight it still had lots of pep. Its certainly not a crawler, but I am averaging 18-19 with all city driving and i don't drive it gently. I always have it in Sport mode. Its a super smooth ride, MUCH nicer then the Jeep, and i have no doubt in my mind that aside from its hauling limits being lower then the liberty's, it will perform as well if not better.

A competent driver goes a lot farther then the size of the wheels.
aenene_scoobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenene_scoobi View Post
having a new 2012 FXT (the one brocksdad drove to be specific) and it being completely stock, i can say that we traded in a very capable 2008 Jeep Liberty Trail Rated (it has the steel skid plates etc to protect stuff, plus the towing gear, 2x4, 4low and 4high) that we took all sorts of places that pretty much had people going "Thats a liberty?!" Plus it was our daily.

The new Foresters have more clearance (xt's have 8.9), and sit lower, meaning you dont have that whole "Am i going to tip" buttpucker factor going on. You have lots of visability, the turbo provides a nice amount of torque as its the TD04 and it just wants to go! Brocksdad drove ours around the lot with 5 adults crammed into it and even with all the weight it still had lots of pep. Its certainly not a crawler, but I am averaging 18-19 with all city driving and i don't drive it gently. I always have it in Sport mode. Its a super smooth ride, MUCH nicer then the Jeep, and i have no doubt in my mind that aside from its hauling limits being lower then the liberty's, it will perform as well if not better.

A competent driver goes a lot farther then the size of the wheels.
Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thank you.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

I bet it will go out to crown king better then my truck. That road sucked with all the wash board that was out there. my unloaded 2500HD was bouncing all over the damn place.
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
SedonaScooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143522
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Peoria,Arizona (aka hell)
Vehicle:
1987 Brat GL 4 Speed
98 Forester L (RIP)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R
I bet it will go out to crown king better then my truck. That road sucked with all the wash board that was out there. my unloaded 2500HD was bouncing all over the damn place.
My 98 fozzy with 200k and old shocks was still bouncy but not that bad...unloaded I couldn't imagine.

I now have some Yokohama geolanders...wow what a night a.d day difference. Off roading is a blast and I have gone up/down places this thing would have never been able to on regular tires. Clearance is my only issue as I haven't raised it but the tires alone.make this thing a blast.

I am going up to broken arrow trail Sunday in the fozzy with my Gf and my dogs if anyone wants to go!

Last edited by SedonaScooby; 04-13-2012 at 09:57 PM.
SedonaScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
aenene_scoobi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296160
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: with JayWRX2004
Vehicle:
2012 FXT
Silver

Default

no problem C-grunt, hope it helped some.

As another note, a lot of the parts from the WRX and sti can be put onto it. its based off of the frame for a WRX is it not? (least the XT, as i understand it). It also uses the same access port, and you can get some shelf maps that are supposed to increase torque iirc. Mine also has a 'manual' sport shift setting that isnt too shabby in the downshifting department. I believe brocksdad played with it a bit, and could probably explain it better.

The only thing i would worry about is pushing its limits with a heavy trailer that is near the base model limitations. I only wish it wasnt so new, cause i would be able to tell you so much more specifically about how it handles offroad if it werent. The first day we had the Jeep we already had it desert pinstriped offroading behind peoples houses out near Dynamite and Scottsdale rd and then out on the way to Rio Verde. This one well, meticulous (its my first new car so sew me )
aenene_scoobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
SedonaScooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143522
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Peoria,Arizona (aka hell)
Vehicle:
1987 Brat GL 4 Speed
98 Forester L (RIP)

Default

Found a few good sites for finding off road spots...email me and I can shoot them your way. Otherwise I go out nearly every sunday and explore...would love some company!

Hitting the dunes off Miller rd off i10 around 7 tonight...and might go try broken arrow trail in sedona on Sunday...any takers?
SedonaScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #13
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

We should get the old Ghost town runs going like I used to do.

Those were lots of fun and brought amazing photo shoots with our cars.
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #14
SedonaScooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143522
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Peoria,Arizona (aka hell)
Vehicle:
1987 Brat GL 4 Speed
98 Forester L (RIP)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R
We should get the old Ghost town runs going like I used to do.

Those were lots of fun and brought amazing photo shoots with our cars.
Lets do it I am almost always free Sundays
SedonaScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
WRX357
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224249
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phx, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 Subiworx built/
Soulless tuned Bugeye

Default

Once my car finally gets fixed, I'd be interested in this if yall wouldn't mind me tagging along.
WRX357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
SedonaScooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143522
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Peoria,Arizona (aka hell)
Vehicle:
1987 Brat GL 4 Speed
98 Forester L (RIP)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX357
Once my car finally gets fixed, I'd be interested in this if yall wouldn't mind me tagging along.
What do you drive
SedonaScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
WRX357
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224249
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phx, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 Subiworx built/
Soulless tuned Bugeye

Default

Dubya are ex
WRX357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
SedonaScooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143522
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Peoria,Arizona (aka hell)
Vehicle:
1987 Brat GL 4 Speed
98 Forester L (RIP)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX357
Dubya are ex
OK only thing is going to be tires and clearance... you can always not try the deeper/steeper/harder stuff too.

My 02 wrx was fun off road I did a little hills and crawling in it around lake pleasant before
SedonaScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
WRX357
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224249
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phx, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 Subiworx built/
Soulless tuned Bugeye

Default

I've beaten her up, lightly, on quite a few trails up north... She can handle it lol.
WRX357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Momosaurus WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 214737
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Ogden
Default

I could drive my lowered legacy to crown king. The road is real smooth.

A buddy of mine had a 97 obs, he put forester springs and struts on it, and his car had more ground clearance than his new car, a 95 4runner. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.
Momosaurus WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #21
SedonaScooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143522
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Peoria,Arizona (aka hell)
Vehicle:
1987 Brat GL 4 Speed
98 Forester L (RIP)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX357
I've beaten her up, lightly, on quite a few trails up north... She can handle it lol.
Then lets bring her out and have fun!
SedonaScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
kahunaking
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183497
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: International
Location: In the Desert
Vehicle:
1998 V4 RHD STi
White

Default

They can go a lot of places but crown king is fairly demanding for even some true offroaders, the subaru's awd system is great on the roads and ice and snow but if you pick up a tire you will run into slipping and may have issues. There are no true off roaders that get good mileage, you would be best off getting what you want for a DD and picking up an older cherokee, 4 runner, or something to go out offroad with.
kahunaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunaking View Post
They can go a lot of places but crown king is fairly demanding for even some true offroaders, the subaru's awd system is great on the roads and ice and snow but if you pick up a tire you will run into slipping and may have issues. There are no true off roaders that get good mileage, you would be best off getting what you want for a DD and picking up an older cherokee, 4 runner, or something to go out offroad with.
I was talking about the road to Crown King not the Crown King Trail. Anybody who attempts that in a stock vehicle is insane. You should be using a pretty well modified off roaded for that.

I have been really contemplating a Tacoma, 4Runner or a Xterra for my next vehicle.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #24
SedonaScooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143522
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Peoria,Arizona (aka hell)
Vehicle:
1987 Brat GL 4 Speed
98 Forester L (RIP)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momosaurus WRX
I could drive my lowered legacy to crown king. The road is real smooth.

A buddy of mine had a 97 obs, he put forester springs and struts on it, and his car had more ground clearance than his new car, a 95 4runner. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.
Gotta watch out because the road to crown king can get washed out and a little rough...you could make it I guess but it would take forever

Cool thing about some of our cars is that with a little lift you get a lot of clearance. With my 1.5" lift and slightly bigger AT tires I will have as much if not slightly more then some lifted Toyota's. Subaruoffroad.com is mainly Aussies but they really can build some foresters and L's for serious off roading. H6 swaps are common


Drools
SedonaScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #25
SedonaScooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143522
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Peoria,Arizona (aka hell)
Vehicle:
1987 Brat GL 4 Speed
98 Forester L (RIP)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt

I was talking about the road to Crown King not the Crown King Trail. Anybody who attempts that in a stock vehicle is insane. You should be using a pretty well modified off roaded for that.

I have been really contemplating a Tacoma, 4Runner or a Xterra for my next vehicle.
Which is which because my stock 98 forester went all the way from bumble bee exit to crown king being 98% off road.
SedonaScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Made a quick video edit over the weekend - on road, off road ZOMG.STi Member's Car Gallery 42 11-25-2009 07:59 PM
It says Road Racing not Off Road Racing.. 06STi Motorsports 2 09-16-2007 10:50 PM
Any mild off road and legal, or no bust factor roads around Austin? Davenow Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 5 09-17-2005 05:33 PM
On road off roading leeberbs Tri-State Area Forum 25 05-11-2005 02:52 AM
How to give my green 04 OutBack Sport a rugged off road look jgreenv Interior & Exterior Modification 7 08-16-2004 06:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.