Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default OBDII port bad? wont connect to scanner - failed emissions

OBD II port not connecting to scanner bad connection?
Soo I went to go through emission today and my 2004 sti failed because they said they couldnt get a connection to the OBDII port ...they said it wouldn't read because a couple of the pins on the port weren't reading the voltage...plugged it into a scanner I had and same thing wouldn't read it bit there was power...anyone ever have any experience with this or know where the first place to start would be ?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
James2.5i
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305063
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Central Jersey
Vehicle:
2010 Storm Trooper

Default

I've had a few pins slip out before, but i was able to reposition them back inside the connector. Get under there and take a good look, seems like u know what the issue already is.
James2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2.5i View Post
I've had a few pins slip out before, but i was able to reposition them back inside the connector. Get under there and take a good look, seems like u know what the issue already is.
Yeah took a look today but couldn't see which pins were where...willl have to take a closer look tmrw...how did you go about repositioning the pins ?
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
mexicanzero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 167820
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon
ej207 + 6 speed

Default

theres a fuse that i think shares power with the cigarette lighter

when this fuse goes bad there will be no connection with the ecu but the car will run fine with no engine light

-Alex
mexicanzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Hmm I checked the fuses and all seemed fine and the cig lighter worked...could fuses be bad even if they aren't broken or look blown?
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukinfutz88 View Post
Hmm I checked the fuses and all seemed fine and the cig lighter worked...could fuses be bad even if they aren't broken or look blown?
yes, I had that happen on my motorcycle (with blade fuses). If you aren't sure, swap em out and see if your problem goes away. It's easier than messing with the connector...
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
yes, I had that happen on my motorcycle (with blade fuses). If you aren't sure, swap em out and see if your problem goes away. It's easier than messing with the connector...
Ok Thanks i will check this out further tmrw and see what happens
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
saabaru_25rs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299323
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Western PA
Vehicle:
2005 Saabaru (EJ253)
1995 Impreza L 2.2

Default

same thing happened on my 05 rs, you can pull the port out of its housing to give you a better look, I think I ended up bending a pin back into shape
saabaru_25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

How did you go about doing this?....regular obdII scanners work with my car but the one they use for emission apparently doesn't so I still don't know the problem other than they said one of the pins wasn't getting enough voltage when they tested it
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
motohippy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 225882
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central NJ
Vehicle:
2000 OBS
'88 BMW K75S

Default

Had the same thing happen to me. . .was able to work bad pin back into place with a jeweler's screwdriver. I'm pretty sure you can find the standard OBDII pinout somewhere on the internet (or wikipedia even), it's possible that the 12V hot lead or the ground is bad. In my case it was the ground. . .
motohippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
mike280
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 161437
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: SE, Michigan
Vehicle:
02 WRX Wagon
EJ207

Default

May have shorted wires under ECU cover plate. take it off and inspect. I've had a buddy have that problem before
mike280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
wrxracer519
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 149890
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Stamford
Vehicle:
02 WRX
PSM

Default

I have a friend with an 07 wrx having this issue. The emissions says bad connection. I found his connector loose in the plastic clip. Tested with Romraider logger and able to log no problem. Waiting to hear back from him what they say.
wrxracer519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohippy View Post
Had the same thing happen to me. . .was able to work bad pin back into place with a jeweler's screwdriver. I'm pretty sure you can find the standard OBDII pinout somewhere on the internet (or wikipedia even), it's possible that the 12V hot lead or the ground is bad. In my case it was the ground. . .
Thanks I'm going to have to take a loser look at the connections
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxracer519 View Post
I have a friend with an 07 wrx having this issue. The emissions says bad connection. I found his connector loose in the plastic clip. Tested with Romraider logger and able to log no problem. Waiting to hear back from him what they say.
I'm going to check for this! Thanks
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
scarney1988
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317760
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Please follow this procedure. My guess is that it may help you. Also, really inspect your obdII connector for pins that have backed out (happens fairly frequently. If the visual inspection looks okay, Ide try the below to get you started. Since your scan tool lit, you have some power, but best to know what you have going on down there (thats what the doc told me).

If the second test yields a higher Voltage reading than the first please note that when you come back.

=== OBD Power and Ground Trouble Tree ===
1) get a digital Multimeter, and set it to volts DC.

2) get two t-pins (can be found at radio shack normally) and insert them into the OBDII connector at locations for pin5 and pin16. Use this website to help you locate the proper pins

3)Put your positive lead to pin16

4)Put your negative lead to pin5

5) you should see +12volts come up on readout of DMM. Since you are having a problem, you will likely see less than 12 or nothing. Record your result.

6)If you see 12volts come back and let us know

7)If not, keep your positive lead on pin16 and put your negative lead to a good ground (unpainted bolt head or stud, door hinge bolt) Again you should see 12volts+. If you do see 12volts positive come back and I'll help you test the ground. If you do not see 12v or you see less than 12 volts (or whatever charge your battery currently has) then record your result and come back to us. We'll help you track it down.
scarney1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Andrew862
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299321
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

I had this similar problem on my Jeep. Turned out to be a bad ground on the harness for the ecu. The garage cleaned up several corroded ground connection and then everything worked fine. Something to try if the other suggestions don't pan out.
Andrew862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarney1988 View Post
Please follow this procedure. My guess is that it may help you. Also, really inspect your obdII connector for pins that have backed out (happens fairly frequently. If the visual inspection looks okay, Ide try the below to get you started. Since your scan tool lit, you have some power, but best to know what you have going on down there (thats what the doc told me).

If the second test yields a higher Voltage reading than the first please note that when you come back.

=== OBD Power and Ground Trouble Tree ===
1) get a digital Multimeter, and set it to volts DC.

2) get two t-pins (can be found at radio shack normally) and insert them into the OBDII connector at locations for pin5 and pin16. Use this website to help you locate the proper pins

3)Put your positive lead to pin16

4)Put your negative lead to pin5

5) you should see +12volts come up on readout of DMM. Since you are having a problem, you will likely see less than 12 or nothing. Record your result.

6)If you see 12volts come back and let us know

7)If not, keep your positive lead on pin16 and put your negative lead to a good ground (unpainted bolt head or stud, door hinge bolt) Again you should see 12volts+. If you do see 12volts positive come back and I'll help you test the ground. If you do not see 12v or you see less than 12 volts (or whatever charge your battery currently has) then record your result and come back to us. We'll help you track it down.
Didn't expect such a good response! Really appreciate the input...I'm going to try and get down there and run the suggested test...I'll have to look back at my sheet from emission I believe he said one of the pins may have read a voltage of 10...I was su frustrated at that point I wasn't paying attention but I will definitely get back to you on here when I test everything and see what come up
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
scarney1988
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317760
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Yea np. I have the fortune, or misfortune, of having diagnosed a couple of simlar situations. Just take your time.

One thing to do before everything, is check your car battery voltage and record that too. Sorry I meant to put that in there.
scarney1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Ok thanks...my yellow top is holding up well but I'll test it anyway
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
scarney1988
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317760
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

The only reason I mention to measure Battery voltage at the source is because that will tell you what to expect when you test at pin5&16 on the obdII connector. You should get the same exact reading ideally. Idea being if either power or ground source at the obdII is not good, there will be less voltage or no voltage doing the first test. I assume the second test will deffinetely show atleast some voltage since your scan tool powers up.
scarney1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarney1988 View Post
The only reason I mention to measure Battery voltage at the source is because that will tell you what to expect when you test at pin5&16 on the obdII connector. You should get the same exact reading ideally. Idea being if either power or ground source at the obdII is not good, there will be less voltage or no voltage doing the first test. I assume the second test will deffinetely show atleast some voltage since your scan tool powers up.
Ok thanks will be taking a crack at this tmrw I'll keep ya posted
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #22
scarney1988
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317760
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Sweet, good luck
scarney1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Alright so I have tested each of the mentioned above....

First test positive lead to pin 16 negative lead to pin 5 showed a read of 12.44

Second test positive lead to pin 16 negative to solid ground read 12.44

Battery test yielding a 12.44 reading as well

I did happen to change the ecu/ECM fuse before I tested anything and didn't test before hand

Everything seems good so far? Lol what's next
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #24
scarney1988
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317760
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Try your pocket scan tool again and see if that connects? Only mentioning this since you changed a fuse. Every change warrants a retest of previous tests lol.

Okay just to be thorough, do a resistance check through the fuse. Set to ohms, + on blade, - on the other. Should be a number around very near zero. OL means its bad and you've probably found your culprit. Record reading. When reporting ohms reading and you have a autoscaling meter make sure you record the units M(megaohms) m(milliohms) or just straight ohms.

Also, do a resistance test from pin 5 (ground) to a good body ground. I would recommend disconnecting the battery negative for safety of your meter, but not really necessary ( I do it cause im OCD). Record reading should be near zero. This is sort of a redundant check to verify what you got)



Okay, well honestly if the fuse is good, I am going to have to get a wiring diagram. Please respond with year model trim lvl and any options. We'll get it lol. So far so good, atleast you seem to be pretty handy with a multimeter.

-Sean

Last edited by scarney1988; 05-02-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: clarification
scarney1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
Nukinfutz88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310449
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-state
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarney1988 View Post
Try your pocket scan tool again and see if that connects? Only mentioning this since you changed a fuse. Every change warrants a retest of previous tests lol.

Okay just to be thorough, do a resistance check through the fuse. Set to ohms, + on blade, - on the other. Should be a number around very near zero. OL means its bad and you've probably found your culprit. Record reading. When reporting ohms reading and you have a autoscaling meter make sure you record the units M(megaohms) m(milliohms) or just straight ohms.

Also, do a resistance test from pin 5 (ground) to a good body ground. I would recommend disconnecting the battery negative for safety of your meter, but not really necessary ( I do it cause im OCD). Record reading should be near zero. This is sort of a redundant check to verify what you got)



Okay, well honestly if the fuse is good, I am going to have to get a wiring diagram. Please respond with year model trim lvl and any options. We'll get it lol. So far so good, atleast you seem to be pretty handy with a multimeter.

-Sean
Lol alright well here is what I got from the above test

OHMS test through the fuse - it was fluctuating between .6 and .4 or .04 and .06 depending on if mega or milliohms

Test through pin 5 and a solid ground- once I found a constant reading it settled on zero it was fluctuating but inthinknthat was becausen I didn't have a solid hold on the connectors

Did the test a couple times to make sure

I remember the person doing my emissions said for all he knew a fuse could be the fix but he would be able to tell unless he checked soo maybe everything is good?...I checked with the scan tool but also remember him saying that the scan tool is self powered and could work but there machine is not so wouldn't work on their stuff...I might go in and get the re-test done since I don't get charged for it but regardless...

My car is a 2004 Subaru wrx Sti came with no stereo head unit or speakers from the factory but they were installed by the previous owner....but he did pass through emission with all said above installed 2 years prior
Nukinfutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OBD2 scanner Wont connect to 96 Legacy Drexer13 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 9 06-27-2011 07:26 PM
access port v1 vista connection to pc. problems with connection moorebl AccessPort 4 08-03-2009 06:41 PM
AP wont connect to laptop redwrxhead AccessPort 1 10-17-2007 09:01 PM
Hyperterminal wont connect to UTEC... white screen of death Wrinkleboi UTEC 3 12-21-2006 08:32 PM
Need stock exhaust bits (99 RS) - failed emissions Prime Mover Tri-State Area Forum 8 07-07-2003 07:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.