Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday February 1, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
MeltedOutback
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 215653
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 vf34 FXT 5MT
aspen white

Default trans fluid change, now have whining trans/diff??

Mods; I think this may apply to other years of foresters/tranmission, please change to '03-'05 if you think otherwise. thank you.

Car: '04 FXT, VF 34, 18psi, ~300whp/300ftlbs, 87k miles, stock motor, OE clutch, etc.

Background: Bought the car about 2 months ago, been doing basic maintainence and had put on about 4k miles during this time. A couple weeks ago I decided to change out the trans and rear diff fluid. I chose redline 75w90ns for the trans and redline 75w90 for the diff. This is was all regular weight stuff, not shockproof, etc. The fluid that came out of the trans was quite blue, i'm assuming it was 'smurfblood' aka shockproof fluid.

Issue: So last week, after a 100 drive on the highway (had ~800 miles on this fluid change previous to this drive) and when I got off the highway I noticed a whining noise coming from somewhere in the engine department/transmission area. The car is pretty loud and radio was on during the drive, so I'm not sure exactly when the noise started.

After a bit of diagnosis I found that the noise would occur in any gear, any speed over ~10mph, smooth or rough road, in neutral, clutch in or out, and even if engine is not running. I thought the sound might be coming from a ratty wheel liner (removed this, didn't change), maybe brake wear indicators (don't appear to be touching just yet), or the ewg dump tube (rotated it up a bit, but didn't appear to be the issue anyway).

After driving it for a couple hundred more miles (didn't have a choice) it now seems to get a bit louder when engaging the clutch. It will be louder in 2nd gear than when engaging the clutch in 3rd gear, etc.

After some searching here and SF.org, it appears my issue is probably with the front diff and/or front diff pinion bearings...

anyone else have this issue (whining seems to be much more common on WRX's than FXT's)? have different trans fluids helped to stop this problem?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MeltedOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedOutback View Post
Mods; I think this may apply to other years of foresters/tranmission, please change to '03-'05 if you think otherwise. thank you.

Car: '04 FXT, VF 34, 18psi, ~300whp/300ftlbs, 87k miles, stock motor, OE clutch, etc.

Background: Bought the car about 2 months ago, been doing basic maintainence and had put on about 4k miles during this time. A couple weeks ago I decided to change out the trans and rear diff fluid. I chose redline 75w90ns for the trans and redline 75w90 for the diff. This is was all regular weight stuff, not shockproof, etc. The fluid that came out of the trans was quite blue, i'm assuming it was 'smurfblood' aka shockproof fluid.

Issue: So last week, after a 100 drive on the highway (had ~800 miles on this fluid change previous to this drive) and when I got off the highway I noticed a whining noise coming from somewhere in the engine department/transmission area. The car is pretty loud and radio was on during the drive, so I'm not sure exactly when the noise started.

After a bit of diagnosis I found that the noise would occur in any gear, any speed over ~10mph, smooth or rough road, in neutral, clutch in or out, and even if engine is not running. I thought the sound might be coming from a ratty wheel liner (removed this, didn't change), maybe brake wear indicators (don't appear to be touching just yet), or the ewg dump tube (rotated it up a bit, but didn't appear to be the issue anyway).

After driving it for a couple hundred more miles (didn't have a choice) it now seems to get a bit louder when engaging the clutch. It will be louder in 2nd gear than when engaging the clutch in 3rd gear, etc.

After some searching here and SF.org, it appears my issue is probably with the front diff and/or front diff pinion bearings...

anyone else have this issue (whining seems to be much more common on WRX's than FXT's)? have different trans fluids helped to stop this problem?
this is the problem, I think
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
MeltedOutback
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 vf34 FXT 5MT
aspen white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
this is the problem, I think
fwiw; 75w90ns should be almost exactly what SHOULD go into this trasmission seeing as it is GL-5 and meant for hypoid gear sets and synchronized transmissions....

most people seem to like the shockproof(smurfsblood)/motul cocktail, even tho shockproof is not really an appropriate fluid for this application...

I'd like to go synthetic, but I'm starting to lean towards Subaru's Extra-S fluid....
Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
MeltedOutback
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 vf34 FXT 5MT
aspen white

LW shockproof / NS mix didn't change anything what-so-ever.

Apparently my trans did NOT have shockproof in it when I originally bought the car, the fluid that came out was a transparent dark blue color, nothing like the milky teal color of shockproof...

anybody know of any gear oils that are a blue color? Swepco 201? Extra-S? judging by how much metal sludge came out when I drained it; I'm guessing it could be original fluid...

at $10-15/qt I'm getting pretty sick of testing different fluid...
Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
at $10-15/qt I'm getting pretty sick of testing different fluid...

i have done all the testing necessary on 5mt fluids over the years and the ns is garbage for our 5mt's

and dont use the lightweight shockproof(there are seveal...the lightweight is 'milky teal')...use the heavyweight...its 'milky red' works better, lasts longer

and the blue **** is likely RP and is worse than pissing in the gearbox and may have done the damage already

and it may be a coincidence

have you changed tires or tire pressure lately ???
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
MeltedOutback
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 vf34 FXT 5MT
aspen white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
i have done all the testing necessary on 5mt fluids over the years and the ns is garbage for our 5mt's

and dont use the lightweight shockproof(there are seveal...the lightweight is 'milky teal')...use the heavyweight...its 'milky red' works better, lasts longer

and the blue **** is likely RP and is worse than pissing in the gearbox and may have done the damage already

and it may be a coincidence

have you changed tires or tire pressure lately ???
I have not played with tire pressure much, I've been running 35psi in the rear and 35-37psi up front

After a proper flogging at AutoX this weekend the noise seems to be getting worse, but upon pulling the trans dip stick I don't see any metal shavings. I know the magnet should grab these shavings, but i'd expect to see at least something in the fluid...

I think I'm just going to drain, inspect the R&P the best I can from the drain hole, and re-fill with Extra-S.... Judging by the noise, I'm guessing a new R&P with new diff/trans bearings is in my near future....
Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
MeltedOutback
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 vf34 FXT 5MT
aspen white

bump for anyone that has ever had a similar experience?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
momo_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 273704
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Platinum Silver Metallic

I had a similar noise that start yesterday morning. Like you the noise start over 10mph an increase. Clutch in, out, in neutral while the car moving the noise is still there. Put in neutral and hit the gas, the noise didn't increase but decrease as the car slowed.

The noise sound like your driving an airplane and stop when the car stop. At idle there's no noise. I put motul gear 300 in 2000 miles ago when rallispec sent me my gearbox with STI type 5mt gearset.

I talked to yohann on AIM at edo performance and he thinks that the front diff may be the culprit but he is not sure.

I will try to drain and refill with other gear oil (maybe redline) and if it doesn't make the noise to stop, will try to pop the gearbox and look at the F. diff.

I took a short vid of the noise sorry if the quality is bad. I took it with my iphone ^^

momo_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
bump for anyone that has ever had a similar experience?
the rearend in my 02 'whined' when I put syn lube in it.....
Old 05-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
momo_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 273704
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Platinum Silver Metallic

Problem fixed !!!! For me it was the center diff bearing.

The first one is the bad one it make a lot of noise.

momo_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
MeltedOutback
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 vf34 FXT 5MT
aspen white

center diff, eh?

thanks for the post and videos!

since I made this thread I have put about 5000 miles on the car, doesn't seem to of gotten any worse (I haven't really launched it or done any autoX, etc. since my last post)

I don't have another vehicle, and can't afford the down-time right now, so I'm just going to continue to drive it and hope it stays in one piece for the time being.

...and I plan on doing a track day within about the next month, so fingers are crossed...