Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Flyin Ryan 02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 385027
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pembroke, New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Matte White

Default EWG hood vent

Hey guys I want to hood vent my external wastegate and the only concern I have right now is when rain gets in it. I know the valve is shut until it opens up and blows exhaust out but can this harm anything? Sorry if this is a rethread I am still new here
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Flyin Ryan 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
Flyin Ryan 02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 385027
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pembroke, New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Matte White

Default

Anything will help me, it may be a stupid question but I need to know
Flyin Ryan 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
02nismokiller
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322963
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: upstate NY
Vehicle:
04 wrx
psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan 02 View Post
Hey guys I want to hood vent my external wastegate and the only concern I have right now is when rain gets in it. I know the valve is shut until it opens up and blows exhaust out but can this harm anything? Sorry if this is a rethread I am still new here
Try doing a search on google first
02nismokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Flyin Ryan 02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 385027
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pembroke, New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Matte White

Default

I did and no luck finding anything related to rain getting in...I mean people do it so it must be okay but I wanted to hear some feedback haha
Flyin Ryan 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan 02 View Post
I did and no luck finding anything related to rain getting in...I mean people do it so it must be okay but I wanted to hear some feedback haha
Mostly people that do this...are track cars...not your typical cruise in the rain car.
Andrewxxcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #6
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

So glad I sold my 02.

Why do you want to vent this through the hood?
rexblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
So glad I sold my 02.

Why do you want to vent this through the hood?
dont ya know that kiddie boiz just GOTSTA be all k00 an ****??



maybe he'll burn it to the ground and get a hunduha
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan 02 View Post
Anything will help me, it may be a stupid question but I need to know
Maybe give it more then an hour for people to respond.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Brother EddieJ.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181617
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: frederick, md
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
6speed/ 330whp/ 300wtq

Default

Just vent it through the fire wall into the cabin. It's original, no rain will get in and will keep you warm in the winter. That's a win, win, win.
Brother EddieJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Dedicated track only or show car? Yes.
Any form of street driven car? HORRIBLE idea. You have to content with the rain which can only be solved with and you'd also contend with people putting things inside to be funny....like a Twinkie.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
skimobile
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 92114
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Westerly, RI
Vehicle:
03 WRX (Neon Blue)
in"Special Ed." Run Group

Default

Subaru potato cannon.
skimobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
JerseyDubbin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260054
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2004 AW WRX Wagon
VF43, Opensource Tune

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimobile View Post
Subaru potato cannon.
Reminds me of the topgear episode where they used Jeremy's "custom" exhaust on his jag to launch soda cans in the air with the locals.
JerseyDubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
Flyin Ryan 02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 385027
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pembroke, New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Matte White

Default

Well I used to race for 8 years and it is hard letting go (going to school) so at the end of the day I like having my dd a little loud or different. Just wondering besides after it rains and when I go WOT the water shoots out or stuff sets on fire...is there anything else I need to know about? Like if the water sitting in the tube could harm it?
Flyin Ryan 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
bugeyesubie117
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 293656
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

I think the bigger issue with that on a DD is, like someone else just said, is people putting crap in the pipe. I vote for dumping it through the firewall. Then it will be super loud!
bugeyesubie117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan 02 View Post
Well I used to race for 8 years and it is hard letting go (going to school) so at the end of the day I like having my dd a little loud or different. Just wondering besides after it rains and when I go WOT the water shoots out or stuff sets on fire...is there anything else I need to know about? Like if the water sitting in the tube could harm it?

d00000000d.....dont be another one of those loud obnoxious stupid ****ing ass hole kids that the neighbors hate with a passion.....

id just hate to see ya get shot or lynched or your car burned to the ground or something.....

it aint k00 to be stupid
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Dedicated track only or show car? Yes.
Any form of street driven car? HORRIBLE idea. You have to content with the rain which can only be solved with and you'd also contend with people putting things inside to be funny....like a Twinkie.
Contend*

Well, at least ya got one of them.
Psychoreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #17
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother EddieJ. View Post
Just vent it through the fire wall into the cabin. It's original, no rain will get in and will keep you warm in the winter. That's a win, win, win.
this seems to be the best possible option...
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
Flyin Ryan 02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 385027
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pembroke, New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Matte White

Default

It is already really loud with the straight pipe, I was just thinking it would be different to mount it out the hood. Since I haven't heard that anything can be seriously harmed from water getting in it I have my answer
Flyin Ryan 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan 02 View Post
Since I haven't heard that anything can be seriously harmed from water getting in it I have my answer
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
Shiftace420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383633
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Yampa, CO
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Maybe some nice two part epoxy down the vent?

Perhaps some paint?

I hope your neighbors admire your taste for rice and loud exhaust or your really inviting yourself some trouble.... Almost funneling it.

I am embarrassed For you.
Shiftace420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #21
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftace420 View Post
Maybe some nice two part epoxy down the vent?

Perhaps some paint?

I hope your neighbors admire your taste for rice and loud exhaust or your really inviting yourself some trouble.... Almost funneling it.

I am embarrassed For you.
2 part wouldn't do anything. It'll burn off/come out.

Paint, maybe... but would likely still burn out.
Psychoreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #22
Shiftace420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383633
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Yampa, CO
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

I was thinking the paint would just blow out all over the car. Might have to put a condom over it to keep it from drying.

What about duck call or kazoo? Lol

Im only thinking in a cartoon visual sense. I would not **** with someones car no matter how annoying I found the owner.
Shiftace420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #23
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftace420 View Post
I was thinking the paint would just blow out all over the car. Might have to put a condom over it to keep it from drying.

What about duck call or kazoo? Lol

Im only thinking in a cartoon visual sense. I would not **** with someones car no matter how annoying I found the owner.
You're dealing with exhaust gas that's north of 1000*F when it's coming out.
Psychoreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #24
Shiftace420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383633
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Yampa, CO
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

I know that.

I was not concerned about the logistics or how it would work. I simply found the thought of it funny.

Man what a buzz kill....
Shiftace420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #25
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftace420 View Post
I know that. I was not concerned about the logistics or how it would work. I simply found the thought of it funny. Man what a buzz kill....
Don't worry, I followed ya
Andrewxxcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.