Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
castper
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300342
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Default Oil pressure light going off

Hey guys, my 2002 WRX got an oil change about a month ago and things have been fine since today. I start my car which was parked outside and it was in the 30s temp wise. When i started my car,my oil pressure light immediately when on and i was like because i just got everything fixed a few months ago. Anyway it went on and was like that for a few minutes then as my engine warmed up it died down until going completely out. What could this be, i couldn't check my oil now but i will later (school). What can i look forward to fixing now?

Thanks in advance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
castper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

It could mean you have very little or no oil left if it doesn't go out in a second or two. You shouldn't start it again until you check the oil and do not start the car until you add oil if it is low.

It's not a low oil warning light. It illuminates when you have only two psi's of oil pressure. I would spend the day praying in class.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
castper
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

do you think it could be the sending unit?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
speedy mike
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265056
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
wrb

I suggest you install an oil pressure gauge.Check oil level after
every gas fill up . The advice i have been given is to run an extra
quart of oil than the factory recommends.To check your system
you can have a mechanic check the oil pressure with a gauge.
Live Long and Prosper
speedy mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by castper View Post
Anyway it went on and was like that for a few minutes then as my engine warmed up it died down until going completely out. What could this be,
Was it ON or just dim? A dim light means the ground is bad. If the light is ON, the sensor is being triggered by less than 2.1psi of oil, which is BAD. I doubt it's low oil because it happend when the car was started when all the oil should be in the pan. Once the car is started the level in the oil pan will drop.

Check oil level, since that's always a good idea, and take it tom someone with a mechanical pressure gauge. They should remove the OEM sensor and put the gauge in to verify the pump is producing pressure to the factory specs.

Mechanically, it could be a cracked oil pickup, pump problem or something else. Regardless you do NOT want to drive the car if the pressure is inadequate. It can result in engine failure.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
castper
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm 95% sure it's the pressure sensor, it looks really dirty but I have no oil leaking, level is fine, a bit high but not incredibly high and it can't be the bearings because when I left school, it was warmer outside but the car was cool, temp gauge was 0 and when I started it it was fine, no light at all so I'm probably going to get a replacement anyway, they are like $10 from napa and not that bad to install just to be on the safe side until I get some good aftermarket gauges.

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

An easy way to tell if it's the gauge ground is by the brightness. Notice when you turn the car ON the dash lights cycle. If when it came on it was not as bright, then it's likely a bad ground at the sensor. If it was as bright as when all the lights cycle when you turn the car 'ON', you've got other problems and it was likely not the ground. When it is the ground (dimly lit) it doesn't usually go ON/OFF, but will change brightness as it goes on/off. Bad grounds can be fixed be removing,cleaning, and re-installing. No need to replace them, I've never heard of one failing, but I supose anything's possible.

To be on the safe side you REALLY should have someone put a mechanical gauge on there to verify the pressure. If there is a problem with oil pressure, but not enough to trigger the light, it can have devistating effects. The cost to have it checked is tiny in comparison to replacing the engine. Better safe than sorry IMO.

That sensor has zero to do with oil level, unless you're so low you loose oil pressure, which is very bad, but by the sounds of it, this os not the case.

If you put if off, pay particular attention to cold startup tomorrow morning. I don't mean a few hours cold, overnight cold. A couple of the oil pickup failure tells are the oil light delay on startup or flicker at cold start and occasional flicker at hot idle.

Hopefully it's as simple as a bad ground or sensor.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
castper
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

yeah i should be good, my mechanic told me that was the problem and he put a new sensor in for me, they are really cheap, i got mine for$12 from NAPA but i will be sure to check it tomorrow when i start it up
Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
EDGG
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180497
Chapter/Region: PRSIC
Vehicle:
2007 STI
Grey

Make sure its not the oil pickup they have a tendency to break.
EDGG is offline   Reply With Quote