Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 27, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
ace88bull
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 274355
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Subaru Stars 03 WRX Power Steering Pump Removal and Repair (pics)

Hello all, I've decided to make a thread about removing the power steering pump from a 2003 WRX. There's a thread on rebuilding one but that pump is a different (I think newer) style so I wanted one for those of us with this slightly different pump.

Tools:
Ratchet wrench
10mm socket for removing alternator cover and pump neck
12mm socket for removing p/s pump bracket bolts
14mm socket for removing banjo bolt
3/8" drive knuckle
Various socket wrench extensions, 1" to 10" worked for me
Pliers for removing spring clamp or screwdriver/socket driver (depends on your clamp type, generally recommended to replace spring with worm/screw type)

Part #'s:
O-Ring for inlet neck size 20 x 15 x 2.4: 34439FE000
Banjo bolt washers: 34621AC024
Fuel purge solenoid (if you break it): 16102AA300

I started by removing the alternator cover and the tension on the belt (loosen the two bolts attached to the alternator and the long bolt that changes belt tension) then removing the belt.

Remove these three bolts:

You can't see this one, you'll have to feel for it. You can see a bolt, but it's a 10mm for the timing cover. Used either the 3" or 1" extension to remove.

This one I needed the long 10" extension and a knuckle with the 12mm attached. Ratchet -> 10" ext -> knuckle -> 12mm socket

Used the 10" extension with the knuckle with this one too, for ease of removal, it isn't necessary as it's on the front just above the timing cover.

Removed these two bolts, 14mm banjo bolt and 10mm bolt going to the neck so I could remove the pump. Also unplug the white sensor connector.

Once the bolts and the hoses are removed the pump will lift out, takes some coaxing with the upper radiator hose there.

Here are some pictures from different angles, just so you know what it looks like if you haven't seen one, or to help you find the different bolt locations.

Bottom bolt locations

Back bolt location

Couldn't fit all the pictures into one post, so I'll see if I can add them to the comments.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by ace88bull; 03-02-2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Add information
ace88bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
ace88bull
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Back of pump

Top of pump

Front

Used some PB Blaster to loosen the hose that had gotten a little stiff so I could pull the neck out.

This picture also shows where the O-ring is typically replaced. I haven't found the correct size for sure, I have some 20mm x 15mm x 2.4mm on order and will update this if it's correct. 13/16" x 5/8" x 3/32" is too large.

Here's another with the neck pictured where the O-ring would be installed

Last edited by ace88bull; 02-03-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
ace88bull
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

I have been having issues with air in the system since I installed a silicone turbo inlet and composite deletes. Read that this was common after introducing air by removing the top banjo bolt. So far I've replaced all 8 spring clamps with the worm/screw type and that hasn't cleared the air so my next step was to replace the O-ring.

Here is the original damaged O-ring.

Here is one that was sent to me by a fellow subie enthusiast compared to the original. I think however it is for a different style pump and therefore much smaller. Can't remember the size, possibly 5/8" x 1/2" x 1/16"

Here is the closest to the original I could find. No metric in small town Oklahoma. This size was the 13/16" x 5/8" x 3/32". The one sent is also pictured

Will update once I've installed the correct O-ring and bleed the system. Will also detail my steps to bleeding it.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
ace88bull
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

I finally received the o-ring I needed. I found the part number (listed above) and ordered it and installed it. The batch of 20 I ordered came later (they shipped from Hong Kong so they were slow arriving so I have some if anyone needs one). I installed the o-ring carefully by oiling it and slowly compressing it in till it was snug before tightening the bolt so as to not damage the o-ring. Once I had the pump reassembled I started to re-install it. However, in the process I broke this sensor (I believe it's the fuel purge solenoid or valve duty solenoid):

When this sensor is broken or removed it throws code P0444. I researched a little and found that this could be deleted from the system. So I removed these items:

And capped off the ports on the intake manifold (red) and ran a hose from the turbo inlet to the vacuum line under the intake manifold (green)

Deleting that from the system helped with re-installing the pump, you will need to get a tune to remove the codes/CEL however. I've been driving it a couple weeks now and it seems like I've finally gotten all the air out!