Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
heatedwrx
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 309245
Default Combo Review! GS pulley + Kartboy shift kit

So yesterday I began the install of 2 new parts that I just bought, the Grimmspeed lightweight pulley, for $109 + the pulley removal tool from IIR, and the Kartboy WRX short shifter + bushings, bought directly from Kartboy for $155 thanks to Unabomber and Tom@kartboy for the sick discount, but this is for my 2012 WRX sedan.

Grimmspeed pulley
Initial thoughts, top quality piece, got it in the black finish so it looks just like the stocker, but then what the hell is this pulley removal tool? Why did I need to buy this? If you get anything out of this review, BUY THE PULLEY REMOVAL TOOL, it will make life so much easier for this, plus its only liek $35. There were no directions included because the are 'going green' which is cool, it doesn't take a genius to know how to take off 2 belts. So installation went very smooth, the tool was very helpful, and it looked great in the engine bay, even though it looks about the same, still made me feel good. I feel quicker revs, faster accel. in 1st gear noticably, plus it's just a great piece. I have a few Grimmspeed products and their stuff has always exceeded my expectations. Would def. recommend this product if anyone is in the market for a lightweight pulley.

Kartboy Kit
Like I said earlier, I got a great price on this from Kartboy directly, and I was a little skeptical in the first place because my car came with the SPT short shifter on it, but it just didn't feel THAT short and I've read threads on the comparison and so on. But I will say with this being my DD and having my commute to work each day, only about 20 miles each way, this has been the best mod I've done to date. The shifting now is just so effortless, and 0% slop in the gears. It just feels so precise now and on point, probably thanks to the bushings, but the shifts are noticably shorter. The install, however, wasn't what I would call easy. The shifter, very easy, just take out your center console, swap em, and you're good to go. But the bushings, keep in mind I did this in my garage with a jack and all hand tools. It gets very tight up in there with a stock exhaust and not much room to work with in the first place. I've read some people say that the rear bushing is the hardest part, but I found it to be the opposite. As I was installing my shifter I noticed from under the car that the rubber boot thats right under the shifter inside the car can slide out from the bottom of the car, and in hands reach from inside the car, through the hole where the shifter is, lies the rear shifter bushing. I could reach my hand through that hole, unbolt the stocker, and re-install my new KB one very easily. A lot easier than from the bottom at least, unless you had a lift obviously. I did have to unbolt and shift to the side the stock exhaust heat shield for these bushings, but it's only 4 bolts that holds it on so easy enough. The front ones were simply harder for me because they were harder to get to with the room that I had to work with. But once I got down there and figured it all out installation was a breeze and I just put everything back together. Runs great, stock WRX/Sti's should come with this kit that's how quality it is.

I do install everything I buy for my WRX myself in my garage so if I come across any other interesting installs I'll be sure to post out some stuff that I came across that might be helpful.

Review Grade - A+ for both products.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
heatedwrx is offline   Reply With Quote