Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Rocky Mountains Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-24-2002, 08:24 PM   #1
Malice
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 23197
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Black (blue sparkle)

Question High altitude boost mods...

Hey! Ok, I could not resist. A mod that is supposed to not only allow for a faster spool and hold longer, but it only cost me 2 bucks and half an hour (ya...I am WAY slow). Anyway, the mod was to increase the size of the restrictor right before the turbo cylinoid (sp?). Please excuse the made up names that I am using...I do not claim to be a mechanic, or to even have a manual...so these names are most likly nothing close to what they really are...hehe.

So, I changed out the 1/8 with the 3/16, and sure enough, I get an extra .02-.03 of boost on the stock gage. All in all, I am VERY happy about getting this out of 2 dollars worth of mod. So, here is the question. Should this lean me out to the point that I should be worried about detonation issues? I have not seen it more then spike just a touch above .1, and never hit .11. I am hoping that it will not.

Another concern that a friend of mine that is also a WRX owner brought up. His seems to get more boost then mine with this mod, but then after the high spike, his boost drops to where it was originally...or lower. He also has .01 spikes holding steady rpms. Mine however is very steady. Could this be the ECU stepping in trying to figure *** is happening with the higher boost and trying to compensate? I think that he is going to reset the ECU in hope of getting that settled.

Any suggestions or comments welcome. New to this modding thing, and love to hear what everyone thinks, even if it is negative...

For reference, I am bone stock. I have not even taken the time to yank the silencer off of it yet (although, you can damn well believe that I will be taking it off VERY soon...Wanted to be able to isolate any performance issues by moding one thing at a time).

Friend has a higher flow muffler that removed one of the cats, ported his intake manifold (um...I think), and has his silencer removed.

Thanks!

Edit info--Sorry, forgot to mention my altitude. I live in SLC, and I think that we are around 4-5kft up here...and can get much higher if we decide to take a trip up the canyons.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 01:30 AM   #2
CobraKLR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12986
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
White

There are a number of posts on this mod. Do a search on something like vacuum line mods, or cheap/free mods. The biggest advantage to this setup appears to be that the boost is at maximum (or close to) for longer. It has been suggested that the ECU will learn this mod and compensate for it although I am not sure on that one. I too live in the SLC area, and recently did this mod. Hopefully the cheap extra power stays around without having to do ECU resets all the time. One piece of advice, if you go with a Unichip in the future make sure you get a map that is optimized for higher altitudes. A MBC/EBC will also be a must.
CobraKLR is offline   Reply With Quote