Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
corygoose
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 319642
Default 1999 Subaru Legacy Error codes

I have a 99 Subaru Legacy GT 30th anniversary edition. I was first getting an egr error code. I think it was p0400. Replaced the egr vacuum solenoid, thought it fixed the problem, then it came back on, but this time it was a different error code. It was p0325 a knock sensor error code. Just replaced the knock sensor. The check engine light was off for about a week, and it now just came back on. Not sure what the new code is, but I bet its one of the 2.

Are these 2 problems related? It seems like a common problem with subarus?

Someone told me that there is a tube that connects to the EGR valve that gets blocked up-take it off and clean it out? Would that fix it? Do I need to clean anything else?

What do you guys think?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
corygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
pcxrs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102538
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Outback
Green

I'm in the same boat, knock sensor code... bought a new knock sensor, holding off on installing it until I read up and check things out. I need more info about checking resistance/wiring. I read somewhere else that it may be a PCV valve that lets too much oil vapour in and lowers the octane causing the knocking.

Anyone?
pcxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
bluebomber06
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 178521
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2009 Legacy 2.5i
Urban Gray Metallic

dude! i have the excat same problem and did the same repairs lol. ill update on this to let you know my repairs and how i performed them. i plan on working on it throughout this weekend.

also i see this thread is a little on the older side. so if you have already performed som repairs let me know.
bluebomber06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
bluebomber06
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Legacy 2.5i
Urban Gray Metallic

ok, so this evening i replaced all the vacuum lines that had anything to do with the EGR valve. Two going to the throttle body. Two going to the vacuum solenoid. One vacuum line on the top of the EGR. Two going under the solenoid. Last two mentioned is the same line just seperated by a metal line, be sure to clean that metal line out when removing the EGR and rubber lines.

To remove the EGR, I found it was very easy after un bolting the air resonator that attaches to the throttle body. Just swing it out of the way, you dont have to remove it.

Now for the EGR. Its two 12mm bolts that hold it on the manifold. Once removed (or while on the car but might be harder to see) use new vacuum line, attach it to the nipple on the EGR and suck. You should see the diaphram move in and out, if it does not still try and clean it and see if it helps. But if it does not the diaphram could be faulty and replacement of the valve at this point would neccesary.

Now to clean it. The areas your going to want to clean will all be black and carboned up. Just spray on a little throttle body cleaner and scrub with a wire brush.Then fill the internals with it and let it soak for a little bit. 10 minutes should be long enough to remove some grim. Repeat as needed. Also take a flat head screwdriver and scrap out the EGR port. When scraping, scrap from the inside out!!!! You dont want to push that carbon back in the manifold.

Tomorrow saturday 8/11/12 I will driving the vehicle for about 3 hours round trip. I did NOT remove the Neg battery cable to clear my check engine light. I want to see if the trip will make my monitors count properly and clear itself. Im taking my buddy to go pick up a 93 FD!!!!!

I will keep you posted either saturday night or sunday if the vehicle clears itself. Lets get those fingers crossed. If you need more clarification, just hit me up.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
bluebomber06
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Legacy 2.5i
Urban Gray Metallic

the light did not clear itself on the long drive. removed the large EGR tube and cleaned it as well as the tube that runs to the bottom of the BPT valve. ordered new EGR valve and gasket. will be installing today. i will keep this thread updated.