Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #151
Bo0stin5STI
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 162174
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Westminster, MD
Vehicle:
05 CGM STi - SOLD
13 SWP STi - TITS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
you already posted this, and its still NOT relevant!

I wonder what SPT stands for........Its an OEM part! Of course its covered under warranty! Other NON SPT parts are NOT however. I'm extremely confused as to what you mean when you say "SOA can't deny the claim for other matching non SPT items"....you mean they can't deny the claim if you have, say, an AEM intake just because SPT makes an intake? Thats not even remotely true. Non OEM parts are NOT covered under the OEM warranty, and can result in warranty service denial. There is no grey area, and no way you could confuse things. Y
As to the highlighted comments above, yes you are correct! If I put a non SPT exhaust on my car and it breaks, it's not covered under warranty. If I put a non-SPT matching part on my car and my motor fails, then their is no issue for denial!

Before the "who's got the bigger package" ego starts flying around, I was simply stating what I was told by the dealers Service Manager.

He simply told me, if SPT (Subaru Performance Tuning) has a 2.5" catback, and I put a non-SPT 2.5" catback on my car, a warranty claim couldn't be denied solely on that.

Same goes for the intake. If SPT has a 2" MAF sizing area in the SPT short ram, and I put a matching size, non-SPT intake on, once again, no dice with denial.

NOW, here's the difference: If you go outside of SPT's specs in regards to sizing, that's when you can run into problems.

Once again, all of this was relayed to me by a Service Manager at Subaru.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Bo0stin5STI; 09-26-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Edited for non confusion
Bo0stin5STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #152
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

The part about the tire wear is the only thing that really gets me.

Same old SOA ****.

New 02-03 WRXs used to COME with a free one-year SCCA Membership.

However, as many can attest to, they would deny warranty claims if they found you competed in any SCCA events (even autox).

At the same time Subaru used to SPONSOR events, and have Subaru-Money prizes for podium finishes.

Gotta love it.





About the morality of returing to stock, etc. If I put an aftermarket turbo on it, or even a TBE, and ran more boost....would I try to change it back to stock and take it in for a warranty claim? No, probably not.

If I ran an intake and a catback exhaust, and the motor clearly had an unrelated massive failure?

I might toss the stock airbox on and give it a go, yes. The OPs intake didn't cause the failure. So if I were him, I wouldn't have had any moral issue with trying to get it covered.

Hell, a dealership down the street might have covered the repair anyway. Pretty service manager dependent these days.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #153
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
The part about the tire wear is the only thing that really gets me.

Same old SOA ****.

New 02-03 WRXs used to COME with a free one-year SCCA Membership.

However, as many can attest to, they would deny warranty claims if they found you competed in any SCCA events (even autox).
You do know that SCCA membership does not mean you have to race, don't you?

There are plenty of other things to do. In fact, if it weren't for the 'other' members who actually run the events (timing and scoring, corner workers, etc) there wouldn't be any racing at all.

So, if you chose to put your car out on the track with your free membership, your warranty coverage went out the window. Said so right in your warranty manual.

Being given a free membership to SCCA did not constitute a racing sponsorship package from SOA.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #154
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
You do know that SCCA membership does not mean you have to race, don't you?

There are plenty of other things to do. In fact, if it weren't for the 'other' members who actually run the events (timing and scoring, corner workers, etc) there wouldn't be any racing at all.

So, if you chose to put your car out on the track with your free membership, your warranty coverage went out the window. Said so right in your warranty manual.

Being given a free membership to SCCA did not constitute a racing sponsorship package from SOA.
First off, I'm not talking about racing. I'm primarily talking about autox. Everyone working an autox is generally running in it to. All the timing/scoring/course workers are drivers.

It was 100000% to encourage people to take their WRXs autoxing:

On the cover of the damn application SCCA/SOA put in with the owner's manual was a WRB WRX on an autox course. They then followed it up with sponsoring autox events all over the country. This was all done to boost the performance image/buzz about the WRX.


You're seriously saying you can't find anything even remotely ridiculous with subsidizing and encouraging new WRX owners to take their new WRXs to autoxs, then denying warranty claims (and I'm not talking about blown trannies, etc. of course they shouldn't be covered) because they attended an event? Then again, this was all about 10 years ago. So maybe I shouldn't expect you to understand.






C/N: Subaru sponsors AutoX's specifically to promote the WRX. Offers prize money, etc. Then denies warranty claims on minor items if you participate in your WRX.

If you can't see some ridiculousness with that, well...
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #155
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
First off, I'm not talking about racing. I'm primarily talking about autox. Everyone working an autox is generally running in it to. All the timing/scoring/course workers are drivers.

It was 100000% to encourage people to take their WRXs autoxing:

On the cover of the damn application SCCA/SOA put in with the owner's manual was a WRB WRX on an autox course. They then followed it up with sponsoring autox events all over the country. This was all done to boost the performance image/buzz about the WRX.


You're seriously saying you can't find anything even remotely ridiculous with subsidizing and encouraging new WRX owners to take their new WRXs to autoxs, then denying warranty claims (and I'm not talking about blown trannies, etc. of course they shouldn't be covered) because they attended an event? Then again, this was all about 10 years ago. So maybe I shouldn't expect you to understand.






C/N: Subaru sponsors AutoX's specifically to promote the WRX. Offers prize money, etc. Then denies warranty claims on minor items if you participate in your WRX.

If you can't see some ridiculousness with that, well...
The only rediculous thing I saw in that (and yes, I was around 10 years ago) is that people actually thought a marketing ploy gave them permission to do something specifically mentioned in the warranty coverage as an example of what would NOT be covered.

What I found funny was that some dumbasses actually believed it.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #156
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
The only rediculous thing I saw in that (and yes, I was around 10 years ago) is that people actually thought a marketing ploy gave them permission to do something specifically mentioned in the warranty coverage as an example of what would NOT be covered.
You're missing the point.

So you think it's 100% upstanding for a company to subsidize and otherwise encourage owners to engage in activities which they will then use against you, whether justified or not?

Yes? Wow, you're just an ******* then.

They did everything short of begging new WRX owners to get out on an autox course those first 2 years. You want to laugh at the guys who got burned? Fine. I'm talking about SOA policy here. If you think that's OK, again, you're a dick. Stupid owners aside.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #157
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Rex8 --- what got denied on you?
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #158
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
You're missing the point.

So you think it's 100% upstanding for a company to subsidize and otherwise encourage owners to engage in activities which they will then use against you, whether justified or not?

Yes? Wow, you're just an ******* then.

They did everything short of begging new WRX owners to get out on an autox course those first 2 years. You want to laugh at the guys who got burned? Fine. I'm talking about SOA policy here. If you think that's OK, again, you're a dick. Stupid owners aside.
They never said here's a free SCCA membership and guess what if anything breaks we'll cover it because you're racing. You know what happens when people assume. People know if they mod their car they might not get covered if the engine blows. They think about it and take the risk. Same scenario.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warranty Claim @ subaru of scumberg Japican Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 26 07-27-2006 01:03 AM
Denial of Warranty for Brakes (different than sticky) scoobynuts Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 17 03-22-2006 09:37 PM
*IMPORTANT* How to put an end to warranty denials on legitiment claims. Opie Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 7 02-09-2002 01:53 AM
ATTN: Sugar - Warranty Claim KITTbri South East Region Forum 2 03-22-2001 12:50 AM
What warranty claims have you made? 2yLiTe General Forum Archive 28 03-03-2001 04:50 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.