Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #76
Oddbaru
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Ltd
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
Technical Service Bulletin # 12-129-12R
Pages: 6

Bulletin Description: If you encounter a customer complaint that the ignition key lock cylinder is not centered in the steering column cover opening, a modification to the upper steering column will be required. Refer to the repair procedure listed to remedy the condition.
Did anyone ever post the .pdf? I could have sworn I saw it somewhere online, but I cannot find it. I'm bringing the car into the dealer Friday to have the Kicker speakers installed (I don't have the tools where I live and I'm lazy), and it does look like the cylinder is not centered, so I might as well have them do that as well. Bought the car Monday.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Oddbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #77
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbaru View Post
Did anyone ever post the .pdf? I could have sworn I saw it somewhere online, but I cannot find it. I'm bringing the car into the dealer Friday to have the Kicker speakers installed (I don't have the tools where I live and I'm lazy), and it does look like the cylinder is not centered, so I might as well have them do that as well. Bought the car Monday.
if you don't mind, could up update us on how it goes after they do the work.

in particular, i'm interested in the following:

- do you have any rattles in that vicinity or near it?
- is there a lot of play in the steering wheel cover right now?
- does their adjustment remove that play?

thanks!
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #78
Oddbaru
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Ltd
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
if you don't mind, could up update us on how it goes after they do the work.

in particular, i'm interested in the following:

- do you have any rattles in that vicinity or near it?
- is there a lot of play in the steering wheel cover right now?
- does their adjustment remove that play?

thanks!
I don't have any rattles coming from that area, but I can easily shift it around if I wanted to. It's not loose or anything though. I'm just a little OCD and since there's a TSB that will center it, I might as well not pass up the opportunity! Haha

I'll make note to check if there is any less play after they do it (or if they even will).
Oddbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #79
Oddbaru
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Ltd
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Actually, on closer glance from the passenger seat, it looks close to being centered. I'm sure the dealer would laugh at me if I told him to move it 1/16th of an inch. Maybe mine had the TSB after all since it was built after April?

I bet if I had him adjust anything I would start getting a rattle there. Does anyone have a picture of the ignition ring prior to the TSB?
Oddbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #80
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbaru View Post
Actually, on closer glance from the passenger seat, it looks close to being centered. I'm sure the dealer would laugh at me if I told him to move it 1/16th of an inch. Maybe mine had the TSB after all since it was built after April?

I bet if I had him adjust anything I would start getting a rattle there. Does anyone have a picture of the ignition ring prior to the TSB?
Here's a picture of mine. Build date: February 2012. Plan to have the TSB done soon along with fixing a rust spot on my hood I found the other day.

jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #81
brockd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235571
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Default

Mine is off center too. But not a big issue for me. The dash rattle from the middle is what's driving me nuts.
brockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #82
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd View Post
Mine is off center too. But not a big issue for me. The dash rattle from the middle is what's driving me nuts.
mine is offset by the same amount as the one listed above.

updates for me:
- pretty convinced i have gotten rid of my A pillar rattles, but i still am stuck with:

- rattle in center dash under trip/clock/mpg display -- no easy fix in site
- rattle in instrument cluster -- occasional, but annoying and sounds like a quarter spinning around -- no easy fix in site
- still have that occasional creak/ticking rattle in the knee airbag area. i found another location i can push to quell the sound so i am closer although i don't see any easy fix here yet
- rattle in passenger seat rest: i am more and more convinced this is in the head rest, but i haven't confirmed this 100% by pulling the headrest off while driving. i'll have to remember to do that one of these mornings.

while i am grateful that these are intermittent, i feel the car is dr. jekyll and mr. hyde...when the rattles are absent, the car feels refined and a joy to drive. but when i hear one or more on a rough road, it makes me feel like i have a 15 year old car that is falling apart (i know, an exaggeration, but my 12+ year old honda was pretty much silent with regard to rattles after all of the years of ownership)

would love to hear if people come up with solutions for these dash rattles...
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #83
Oddbaru
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Ltd
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Here's a picture of mine. Build date: February 2012. Plan to have the TSB done soon along with fixing a rust spot on my hood I found the other day.

Here's mine:

I guess there is a bit of a difference.
Oddbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #84
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I wish the dealer and soa would get around to addressing my LOUD squeaking seat, then I could focus on the rattling interior panels.
Peeling the rind off sucks...
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #85
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I wish the dealer and soa would get around to addressing my LOUD squeaking seat, then I could focus on the rattling interior panels.
Peeling the rind off sucks...
Still waiting on parts man?
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #86
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Still waiting on parts man?
Yep. Still waiting on someone to even say they ordered the damn parts. Soa just forwards my calls to Desire's voicemail.
After seeing what James Wilson went through trying to get seat replacement parts, I'm expecting the worst. Hope is on backorder!
Been fighting with the dealer/soa since jan/feb and being that they haven't even fixed ONE problem on my car, this new oil consumption issue really has me worried.
What I really hate is pulling up to a stoplight next to an Audi A3... I shoulda just went with one of those.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #87
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbaru View Post
Here's mine:

I guess there is a bit of a difference.
looks like they fixed it in later releases of the car. maybe i'll have to take mine in now that i see how much better it looks.

back on track...

i spoke too soon, i still have the rattle in my driver's side A-pillar. for whatever reason (stretching), even with my wedged felt pads underneath the trim. there is still play such that the a-pillar can rattle against the glass. i'm deciding whether i want to wedge some more in there or maybe go to some small felt dots between the pillar and the glass. not sure i can get my hand in there to create a tight enough fit (ie, pull the trim towards me and squeeze a thick enough pad in there to keep it both stiff and/or muffle the rattling.)
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #88
WLS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316030
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Here's a picture of mine. Build date: February 2012. Plan to have the TSB done soon along with fixing a rust spot on my hood I found the other day.

Looks like mine and it was built in April. I'm not sure it is worth bringing it up with the dealer though. Perhaps if I have another issue requiring service.
WLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #89
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLS View Post
Looks like mine and it was built in April. I'm not sure it is worth bringing it up with the dealer though. Perhaps if I have another issue requiring service.
Honestly it really doesn't bother me that much, but I have a couple other small issues that need to be addressed so I going to have the dealer take care of it.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #90
sager
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309315
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: North of Seattle
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Anyone run across a DIY for the rear hatch rattle? I am thinking that tightening down the rear hatch might cure the rattle I get (only) when I cross a speedbump. I did apply the silicone plumber's grease to the rubber side guides and that seems to have helped, but...always interested in more info.

thanks!
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #91
MjSub2.0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314973
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Satin White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub

looks like they fixed it in later releases of the car. maybe i'll have to take mine in now that i see how much better it looks.

back on track...

i spoke too soon, i still have the rattle in my driver's side A-pillar. for whatever reason (stretching), even with my wedged felt pads underneath the trim. there is still play such that the a-pillar can rattle against the glass. i'm deciding whether i want to wedge some more in there or maybe go to some small felt dots between the pillar and the glass. not sure i can get my hand in there to create a tight enough fit (ie, pull the trim towards me and squeeze a thick enough pad in there to keep it both stiff and/or muffle the rattling.)
As far as the rattle around driver side a-pillar/ tweeter grill, I think it's the little tab that holds the rubber window molding. when you open your door it's by the side mirror you'll see it. Mine felt loose and I just pushed the tab last night and it seem like it went away. Let me know if you guys think it solve that issue.
MjSub2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #92
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjSub2.0 View Post
As far as the rattle around driver side a-pillar/ tweeter grill, I think it's the little tab that holds the rubber window molding. when you open your door it's by the side mirror you'll see it. Mine felt loose and I just pushed the tab last night and it seem like it went away. Let me know if you guys think it solve that issue.
MjSub - i might be lame, but i couldn't figure out what you are referring to.

nevertheless, i spent more time on my A-pillar rattle and deduced the following:

A-pillars
- i can confirm that these indeed are my rattles. the problem is that when the temp is right, there is enough play in the panel that it rattles against the glass window. there turns out to be play not just in the up and down motion but also laterally as the panel is thin an can tuck itself into position in two ways.
- when the car is hot (ie, been in the sun a while), the panels are snug and flus with no play whatsoever, and hence no rattles.
- i wanted to come up with a solution that would be hidden from view but i have failed in multiple attempts at trying to prop up the A-pillar so that is always flush with the glass.
- the proper position of the A pillar panel, i think, is actually not touching the glass. for whatever the reason, the panel is not "sitting low enough" into the dash. i can push it down by hand but it doesn't want to stay in that position.
- for now, i have resorted the "ugly solution" which i know works. on the driver's side, i tucked a round felt circle between the panel and windshield. that forces the panel down and also will muffle any rattling sound since it is softer than the panel plastic. on the passenger side, i rolled up a cardstock parking permit and tucked it in between the glass and A-pillar. i think that too will work. both aren't very attractive. if i find the cardstock works well enough long term, i may do that on both sides and go for a normal index card which should blend better with the color of the A pillar
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #93
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default Creak near steering column

I am closer, yet so far away from finding a solution.

so, as i have long belabored: i have this annoying rattle coming from near the steering column that i can make go away if i pinch the main dash and the knee airbag panel together.

i spent another half hour or so investigating after the car had cooled down (ie, overnight), and found out more.

i *think* by listening carefully for the location of the sound, that the creak/ticking/rattling sound is coming from where the instrument cluster is meeting that dash panel below it. if i push on the spot that i had previously used to mute the rattle while driving, i can force the sound to occur. it's hard to pinpoint, but after moving my ear carefully around (darn steering wheel is in the way!), i found it is coming from where the instrument panel meets that panel on the right hand side. i tried stuffing cardstock between those panels, but that didn't seem to help. i think something further back (ie, out of reach is flexing/rubbing when i go over bumps which cause this dash panel to move. when warmed enough, things fit more snuggly together and the sound goes away.

the only potential good news here is that if i go to a dealer in the morning and it's cold this coming fall/winter, i might be able to have some success replicating it and they can go about trying to find it for me. yet, i don't know how diligent or persistent they will be in the quest...

but i feel i'm reaching the end of the road here. i'm going to try various locations of trying to wedge those panels apart to remove the play that may cause the rattle, but so far, i'm not having any luck. i'm guessing that i'm just too far away from the source of the rattle to "brace the parts" that are causing the sound.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #94
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbaru View Post
Did anyone ever post the .pdf? I could have sworn I saw it somewhere online, but I cannot find it. I'm bringing the car into the dealer Friday to have the Kicker speakers installed (I don't have the tools where I live and I'm lazy), and it does look like the cylinder is not centered, so I might as well have them do that as well. Bought the car Monday.
Why is the cylinder being 1/16" off a concern for people?
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #95
MjSub2.0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314973
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Satin White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjSub2.0

As far as the rattle around driver side a-pillar/ tweeter grill, I think it's the little tab that holds the rubber window molding. when you open your door it's by the side mirror you'll see it. Mine felt loose and I just pushed the tab last night and it seem like it went away. Let me know if you guys think it solve that issue.
IM sorry guys I spoke to soon also. The rattle monster is back LOL...daaaamn!
MjSub2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #96
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjSub2.0 View Post
IM sorry guys I spoke to soon also. The rattle monster is back LOL...daaaamn!
see my post above. when you hear the rattle and/or when the car is cool, see if you can wiggle the white A-pillar and see if it rattles against the window. if so, then you can try to stuff something between the a pillar and the window as i suggested and see if that cures your problem. not cosmetically the best, but likely to work and at least can help diagnose your problem.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #97
Oddbaru
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Ltd
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Why is the cylinder being 1/16" off a concern for people?
Ha, it's not. Just more of an OCD thing for those who just bought a brand new car. I'm not worrying about it.
Oddbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #98
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbaru View Post
Ha, it's not. Just more of an OCD thing for those who just bought a brand new car. I'm not worrying about it.
i think its a bit more than 1/16"!

i can be pretty OCD about things and in fact, if it weren't for the rattles, i would probably have fixated on this centered ignition and gotten it fixed by now.

i still may get it done, but my rattles are "bigger fish to fry."

seriously, i'd be happy to live with the ignition issue if i could figure out all of these darned rattles!
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #99
filly10
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294279
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Alberta
News Fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filly10 View Post
I have the same issues with the loud, frequent but intermittent rattle in the middle of the dash, as well as the A-pillar rattle. Again, found that pushing on the tweeter speaker silences the A-pillar rattle temporarily, and agree that wedging some foam tape in there will probably do the trick. But its the other rattle in the middle of the dash that's driving me nuts. Mine seems to be coming from the passenger side near the windshield about halfway between the trip computer and the passenger side A-pillar. Cant seem to stop it no matter what i push on. Made an appointment at the dealership for next week to see if they can find anything, ill keep you guys in the loop.
Well dealer wasn't able to replicate the rattles so i went after it myself when i got home and fixed both. Been a week now, rattle free!

1. A Pillar Rattle - removed the a pillar cover and ran a piece of foam tape down the side of the speaker cover where it meets the panel. Seems to keep everything just snug enough to keep it from rattling and once i put the A-pillar cover back on you cant see it at all.

2. Center Dash Rattle - Turns out this one wasn't in the center of the dash, it wasn't even inside the car. There is a piece of plastic trim that runs along the exterior of the A-pillar where the A-pillar meets the windshield (near the bottom, about 6 inches long). The plastic is barely fixed to the A-Pillar and rattles in the wind against the A-pillar. Again a piece of foam tape wedged in between the plastic and the A-pillar and I'm now rattle free.
filly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #100
MjSub2.0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314973
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Satin White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filly10

Well dealer wasn't able to replicate the rattles so i went after it myself when i got home and fixed both. Been a week now, rattle free!

1. A Pillar Rattle - removed the a pillar cover and ran a piece of foam tape down the side of the speaker cover where it meets the panel. Seems to keep everything just snug enough to keep it from rattling and once i put the A-pillar cover back on you cant see it at all.

2. Center Dash Rattle - Turns out this one wasn't in the center of the dash, it wasn't even inside the car. There is a piece of plastic trim that runs along the exterior of the A-pillar where the A-pillar meets the windshield (near the bottom, about 6 inches long). The plastic is barely fixed to the A-Pillar and rattles in the wind against the A-pillar. Again a piece of foam tape wedged in between the plastic and the A-pillar and I'm now rattle free.
are you talking about the thing on the lower corner of the wind shield outside or that triangular piece in front of the side mirrors? Because that rattles to.
MjSub2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza thread A_Pointy_Rock Impreza Forum 23014 Yesterday 08:46 PM
('11-'14) 2012 Impreza Owners - MPG Thread! Rdizzle Impreza Forum 5498 09-03-2014 09:29 PM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Gas Mileage Thread Benchmark General Community 934 10-08-2013 02:49 PM
2012 Impreza cabin rattles Bsmitty5913 General Community 14 05-05-2012 09:52 PM
FS : Thule Baserack/locks/bike carriers. 08+ Imprezas (and others!) Redneck Ricer NESIC Private Classifieds 4 08-07-2011 11:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.