Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday May 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
psiphreak
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 210400
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT 2.5t
Black

Default A/C Stopped working this season. Any ideas?

So last year during the summer my A/C would work pretty well. Then by the end of the summer where I only needed it now and then, I noticed my car would sometimes pump out FREEZING cold air. I mean I was seeing the fog of the ice cold air flooding out of the car.

Now fast forward to today and I havent been able to get ANY cold air at all. Its just pushing the outside air in. No matter what I do. I checked fuses and charge and both are fine. Im just trying to think of other ideas before bringing it to the dealership.

Im all ears!
psiphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
scarney1988
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 317760

Is the AC compressor clutch engaging?

If so, what are pressure with compressor engaged and engine running, MAX AC?

G-luck
scarney1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
psiphreak
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 210400
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT 2.5t
Black

You know I havent heard it engage actually. I know the lines dont have a leak. I checked for a leak and to see where the pressure was at and Im right where it needs to be. However, I havent heard the compressor engage at all. Any idea how much that would be to replace? Im just trying to get a ballpark here. This humidity is killing me
psiphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Elbert Bass
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283429
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1995 Chevy S-10
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiphreak View Post
You know I havent heard it engage actually. I know the lines dont have a leak. I checked for a leak and to see where the pressure was at and Im right where it needs to be. However, I havent heard the compressor engage at all. Any idea how much that would be to replace? Im just trying to get a ballpark here. This humidity is killing me
Before you start throwing expensive AC parts at an unknown problem let's find out what is wrong.

You say the pressure was "right where it was suppose to be".
What are you reading on the low and high side when you have the AC turned on? If your high and low pressure are in operating range then the clutch must be engaged.

Do you see the center section of the front of the pulley on the front of the AC compressor spinning with the belt?

Do the radiator fans run when you have the AC turned on and the blower fan running? (need to check this in the morning when you first start it so you know the water temp isn't tripping the fans)

It will also help if you fill out your profile so we will know what model/engine/year you're working on.
Elbert Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
westsideguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 319112

I agree with Elbert here. I'm not sure on the location of the A/C clutch in your engine, but it shouldn't be too hard to spot. I recommend getting a flashlight and with the KOER (Key on Engine Running) turn on the A/C and try to see if the outside of the compressor clutch is engaged. It will be located somewhere on the serpentine belt. If you do not see the clutch turning there is your problem. I haven't done any Subaru a/c clutches, but my ford had a similar problem and it turned out to be my CCRM (constant control relay module). I removed and replaced it with the a/c now working However that was all found out after I came to my conclusion doing voltage drops on the compressor clutch with my voltmeter. Good luck my friend.
westsideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
silver007
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 196756
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
Silver

I had a similar issue. 1 subie dealership said I needed to replace the entire ac system...1300 bucks. I took it to get fixxed at a dealership I trusted. Literally, they tightened the belt. That was all, saved me like 1000 dollars.
silver007 is offline   Reply With Quote