Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
BoostedNightmare
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 188832
Vehicle:
1996 legacy lsi/gt
gold

Default timing belt install question

So I have a built motor that has everything done to it. YES everything. Installed the engine and it won't start. Keeps backfiring. So first thought is timing. My question is can the crank be 180 out. Typical engines u set #1 to top dead and then set cams from there. Well #1 doesn't ever seem to be at top dead. #1 I assume is passenger front being its the furthest cylinder forward. Have read every timing belt install and nothing points to if u have turned the crank and have them out of phase with cams and how to set it up properly. Any help would be great.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BoostedNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
WRXSD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 136539
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
CGM Stg. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedNightmare View Post
So I have a built motor that has everything done to it. YES everything. Installed the engine and it won't start. Keeps backfiring. So first thought is timing. My question is can the crank be 180 out. Typical engines u set #1 to top dead and then set cams from there. Well #1 doesn't ever seem to be at top dead. #1 I assume is passenger front being its the furthest cylinder forward. Have read every timing belt install and nothing points to if u have turned the crank and have them out of phase with cams and how to set it up properly. Any help would be great.

I remember someone on here doing that and they ended up being fine. Lined up everything but put the N at 12 oclock on the crank, and not the mark.
WRXSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
BoostedNightmare
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 legacy lsi/gt
gold

180 out won't damage anything correct just not sure what happened and how to correct or keep from happening again
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
WRXSD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 136539
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
CGM Stg. 2

Having the crank 180 out will just have the intake valves open during the exhaust cycle and vice versa. I don't recall how he corrected it. I want to say he had everything lined up and then just rotated the crank, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Doesn't read like he lined it all up when rotating the crank:

Found it:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2199427
WRXSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
BoostedNightmare
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 legacy lsi/gt
gold

Well obviously I have just rotated the crank but not sure how from start to make sure this doesn't happen again. I understand that when u are just doing a timing belt everything is already lined up and u just install a new belt, but if u are building the engine ground up how do u know where to put the crank so all is well and then yes I know u then phase the cams
Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
J_Baker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309434
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
06/9 WRBSTI/SRR2.5i
shop slut/5sp beater

The half-moon pill on the crank...

You did install the rods the right direction for each cylinder, right? 1-3-2-4 in order of getting to TDC, remember...

J_Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
BoostedNightmare
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 legacy lsi/gt
gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Baker View Post
The half-moon pill on the crank...

You did install the rods the right direction for each cylinder, right? 1-3-2-4 in order of getting to TDC, remember...

Unsure: the machine shop assembled the engine I just put the timing belt on and they are pretty knowledgable about suby engines so I would assume they did it right
Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
LivingLEEgend
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320581
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Gold

if your timing belt was installed in the wrong position then its already too late. assuming the timing is set right then i would check to make sure you have the coil pack connectors on right. white in the front and black in the back. Ive seen them installed backwards and it causes backfiring and wont start. hope this helps
LivingLEEgend is offline   Reply With Quote