Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #2726
Last Subie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 345669
Join Date: Feb 2013
Vehicle:
2012 Imprez prem 5sp

Exclamation 2012 Impreza Burning Oil

I say burning but I don't know where it goes.

I am new to the thread, but my 2012 impreza needs oil added frequently. I need to start watching exactly how much. I would say a quart every 7,500 miles.

I would love to see an impreza owner log on and say that they don't burn a drop.

Thanks to all who have pointed out that the dealer over fills. I thought they did that but was reluctant to question their expertise.
I will now.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Last Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #2727
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Subie View Post
I am new to the thread, but my 2012 impreza needs oil added frequently. I need to start watching exactly how much. I would say a quart every 7,500 miles.
I would argue that adding 1 qt every 7500 miles is not "frequent". In fact, since that's Subaru's recommended oil change interval, it sounds to me like you don't need to add oil at all.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #2728
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

No one likes the thought of their new car burning a quart of oil between changes.
But it sounfs like youre on the far end of the oil consumption scale. I burn a lot more oil than you and am not close to burning enough to get anything replaced.
79letour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #2729
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Subie View Post
I say burning but I don't know where it goes.

I am new to the thread, but my 2012 impreza needs oil added frequently. I need to start watching exactly how much. I would say a quart every 7,500 miles.

I would love to see an impreza owner log on and say that they don't burn a drop.

Thanks to all who have pointed out that the dealer over fills. I thought they did that but was reluctant to question their expertise.
I will now.
Did any of your other cars go 7500 miles with out adding oil?
auskip07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #2730
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Subie View Post
I say burning but I don't know where it goes.

I am new to the thread, but my 2012 impreza needs oil added frequently. I need to start watching exactly how much. I would say a quart every 7,500 miles.

I would love to see an impreza owner log on and say that they don't burn a drop.

Thanks to all who have pointed out that the dealer over fills. I thought they did that but was reluctant to question their expertise.
I will now.
Needs oil frequently? 1 quart every 7,500 miles is not frequent - that is the optimal oil change interval. If you look at the description of severe conditions, a lot of locations/situations actually fit that criteria. That interval is much less than 7,500. I personally think Subaru made a bad decision on making the interval that long on such a light weight oil.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #2731
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Actually to my knowledge mine has not used a drop. Hard to tell, though, as the dealer overfills it. Next service I will pursue the question of why they overfilled it.

Speaking of dealer service, how does one get out of the maintenance agreement?
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #2732
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
Actually to my knowledge mine has not used a drop.
My first oil change looked like I had not burned a measurable amount. this was only 1800 miles though :P
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #2733
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Needs oil frequently? 1 quart every 7,500 miles is not frequent - that is the optimal oil change interval. If you look at the description of severe conditions, a lot of locations/situations actually fit that criteria. That interval is much less than 7,500. I personally think Subaru made a bad decision on making the interval that long on such a light weight oil.
Agreed i think every 5k is a good number to stick with
auskip07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #2734
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Agreed i think every 5k is a good number to stick with
There's no harm in that choice. But if you've looked at the Used Oil Analysis thread, then you've seen the results of my analysis, which showed that my oil had a lot of life left in it at 4500 miles, and that Blackstone recommends I could safely go to a 6500 mile oil change interval.

DISCLAIMER: I use Amsoil OE 0W-20 oil, and don't drive very aggressively. If your oil and driving conditions differ from mine, then you might get different results. I provided my used oil analysis report as an interesting data point, and make no guarantees about the OCI you should use.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #2735
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

What do you guys think about the new Mazda 0w-20 Synthetic? I've heard some good things about it:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45295

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2520584

It's a little expensive at $7.95 per quart, but thought it may be worth a try for my next oil change coming up.
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #2736
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
What do you guys think about the new Mazda 0w-20 Synthetic? I've heard some good things about it:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45295

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2520584

It's a little expensive at $7.95 per quart, but thought it may be worth a try for my next oil change coming up.
I think it will be no different than any other 0w 20 oil. That includes amsoil and mobile 1.
auskip07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #2737
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Agreed i think every 5k is a good number to stick with
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
There's no harm in that choice. But if you've looked at the Used Oil Analysis thread, then you've seen the results of my analysis, which showed that my oil had a lot of life left in it at 4500 miles, and that Blackstone recommends I could safely go to a 6500 mile oil change interval.

DISCLAIMER: I use Amsoil OE 0W-20 oil, and don't drive very aggressively. If your oil and driving conditions differ from mine, then you might get different results. I provided my used oil analysis report as an interesting data point, and make no guarantees about the OCI you should use.
I am also going with a 5k mile interval. My good friend (head Suby tech) suggested between 5k-6k. Since I get free oil changes at my local dealership, I'm going with 5k.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #2738
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Subie View Post
I say burning but I don't know where it goes.

I am new to the thread, but my 2012 impreza needs oil added frequently. I need to start watching exactly how much. I would say a quart every 7,500 miles.

I would love to see an impreza owner log on and say that they don't burn a drop.

Thanks to all who have pointed out that the dealer over fills. I thought they did that but was reluctant to question their expertise.
I will now.
I change my own oil, last change was October 30th, with 7000 miles, and now have 9,400 miles with no visible change in oil level. If I overfilled it, it wasn't more than a couple of ounces (I think I poured about 5.4 liters in).

That does not mean it hasn't used a drop, just that it is not burning enough to be noticeable.

There are cars that are burning oil, and cars that are not. There is a problem if you are consuming a liter between changes, no doubt. However you cannot take your experience to mean that all of the new imprezas are burning oil, because the evidence actually points the opposite direction, a small percent are burning, and most are not. At least all the evidence I have seen, based upon the number of cars sold.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #2739
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Same here with the 5k oil and filter change interval. My driving situation would probably fall under Subaru's definition of "severe", but I feel a 3k interval is a waste of money. I will probably send a sample to Blackstone Labs the next time I change my oil.

Also using AMSOIL OE 0W20.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #2740
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I'd like to see the results of a uoa from an oil burner running 0w20 subaru oil, and going the reccomended 7500. I've never had oil in my car long enough to worry about uoa's but when that consumption test is over, I'll send off a sample.

Being that Amsoil is such expensive stuff,I'd be curious to see what a 79 year old guy whos getting dealer changes gets for uoa results. So far it looks like even with amsoil and a good non oil burning engine, 7500 miles is pushing it.
79letour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #2741
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Not ALL the imprezas are burning oil. But it says a lot when Consumer Reports has to top theirs off...
And dealers have scripted answers about allowances...
79letour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #2742
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I'd like to see the results of a uoa from an oil burner running 0w20 subaru oil, and going the reccomended 7500. I've never had oil in my car long enough to worry about uoa's but when that consumption test is over, I'll send off a sample.

Being that Amsoil is such expensive stuff,I'd be curious to see what a 79 year old guy whos getting dealer changes gets for uoa results. So far it looks like even with amsoil and a good non oil burning engine, 7500 miles is pushing it.
Not all Amsoil is expensive stuff. My Amsoil OE 0W-20 costs $6.10/quart, and no shipping charge because I buy it from a local distributor.

My car is not an oil consumer, so I'm not adding any fresh oil between changes. My Blackstone UOA with almost 5k miles on the oil (and 11k miles on the odometer) resulted in Blackstone telling me I could probably get 7500 miles from the oil, but they recommended using a 6500 OCI just to be safe (and sending them another sample at 6500 so that they could confirm that the oil was still good, which I don't plan to do; instead, I think I'll just use a 6500 mile OCI and leave it at that).
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #2743
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Not all Amsoil is expensive stuff. My Amsoil OE 0W-20 costs $6.10/quart, and no shipping charge because I buy it from a local distributor.

My car is not an oil consumer, so I'm not adding any fresh oil between changes. My Blackstone UOA with almost 5k miles on the oil (and 11k miles on the odometer) resulted in Blackstone telling me I could probably get 7500 miles from the oil, but they recommended using a 6500 OCI just to be safe (and sending them another sample at 6500 so that they could confirm that the oil was still good, which I don't plan to do; instead, I think I'll just use a 6500 mile OCI and leave it at that).
I just paid 5.54/qt after shipping and tax for my amsoil OE. So definitely not expensive stuff

Last edited by flyboy1100; 02-04-2013 at 03:26 PM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #2744
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post

I just paid 5.54/qt after shipping and tax for my amsoil OE. So definitely not expensive stuff
That's about what I pay. Think it's only $4.70/quart before shipping and tax.

Better and cheaper than M1 and shipped to my door within 2 days!
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #2745
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

I want to believe that the Amsoil OE is better than Mobil1. But without a Used Oil Analysis from someone running Mobil1, we're all just speculating.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #2746
saabarupp
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189032
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Ltd 413/800
'12 Impreza Sport Ltd DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Subie View Post
I say burning but I don't know where it goes.

I am new to the thread, but my 2012 impreza needs oil added frequently. I need to start watching exactly how much. I would say a quart every 7,500 miles.

I would love to see an impreza owner log on and say that they don't burn a drop.
Our Imp hasn't burned a drop yet. It has about 12,000 miles total now i think.
saabarupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #2747
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabarupp View Post

Our Imp hasn't burned a drop yet. It has about 12,000 miles total now i think.
Same goes for me, except I'm at almost 13k miles.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #2748
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
you cannot take your experience to mean that all of the new imprezas are burning oil, because the evidence actually points the opposite direction, a small percent are burning, and most are not. At least all the evidence I have seen, based upon the number of cars sold.
I agree that all new Imprezas do not burn oil. My opinion is that a small percent do burn oil. That is based on my experience.

It is also your *opinion* Zeeper. It is not *evidence*.

You need to learn the difference.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #2749
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

It looks like stevehnm and Zeeper are in agreement then--a small percentage of Imprezas burn oil. I think everyone on this forum agrees that this is true. Nobody is saying that they all burn oil, and nobody is saying that none of them burn oil.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #2750
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
It looks like stevehnm and Zeeper are in agreement then--a small percentage of Imprezas burn oil. I think everyone on this forum agrees that this is true. Nobody is saying that they all burn oil, and nobody is saying that none of them burn oil.
"Small" is a relative term, and only Subaru knows what that number is. It could be 1%, it could be 25%. I believe it is within that range.

We don't know, as we don't have the *evidence*. It does point, however, to a potential variability in their manufacturing process - another feature of which might be excessive fuel consumption, as opposed to excessive oil consumption.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11-'14) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11-'14) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.