Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #3151
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
Well, I'll add myself to the list of people who are burning oil. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like I'm burning a lot, to the point where the engine oil light comes on. I topped off my car probably about a month ago because it was 3/8" below the full line, to just below the full line. Checked my oil today and its and 3/8" above the low line.

I plan on changing my oil next weekend, so I should be "OK" running at the level for another week, probably another 250 miles or so. I think I have close to 5000 on the fill now for this change. Plan on using Amsoil Signature for this change, all though it may not be worth it in the long run since my car is consuming oil.

Should I top it off to the full line for this week, or should I be OK running it at the level its at now? Don't really want to waste the oil if I'm going to be changing it next weekend.
Above the low line should be good
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by flyboy1100; 03-24-2013 at 03:15 PM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #3152
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
Well, I'll add myself to the list of people who are burning oil. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like I'm burning a lot, to the point where the engine oil light comes on. I topped off my car probably about a month ago because it was 3/8" below the full line, to just below the full line. Checked my oil today and its and 3/8" above the low line.

I plan on changing my oil next weekend, so I should be "OK" running at the level for another week, probably another 250 miles or so. I think I have close to 5000 on the fill now for this change. Plan on using Amsoil Signature for this change, all though it may not be worth it in the long run since my car is consuming oil.

Should I top it off to the full line for this week, or should I be OK running it at the level its at now? Don't really want to waste the oil if I'm going to be changing it next weekend.
You should be ok, I wouldn't worry about it.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #3153
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

Angelus could we have some more info mileage when you got light. Oci interval, type of transmission, etc.
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #3154
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoporta View Post
Angelus could we have some more info mileage when you got light. Oci interval, type of transmission, etc.
The low oil light hasn't come on ever yet, which is a good thing. I had my oil changed at 2700, 7850 and now I'm coming up to around 5000 miles on the current fill. I have the cvt, and did an easy break-in method, rarely going over 4000 rpm.
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #3155
subiedude676
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 241369
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Emmaus, PA
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Premium
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Just hit 10k miles today on my car. Bought it last march. Hasn't burned a drop of oil from the time I picked it up with 2 miles on it at the dealer until now.
subiedude676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #3156
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Lucky you!
Only a few on here can say they havent lost any oil.
I would think your experience should be EVERYONES who buys a brand new 2012-2013 car of any brand.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #3157
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiedude676 View Post
Just hit 10k miles today on my car. Bought it last march. Hasn't burned a drop of oil from the time I picked it up with 2 miles on it at the dealer until now.
Color me green with jealousy. Burning about a quart per 700-800 miles now with 25k miles on the OD. Starting consumption test soon.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #3158
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post

Color me green with jealousy. Burning about a quart per 700-800 miles now with 25k miles on the OD. Starting consumption test soon.
Soon? Why not now?
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #3159
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Lucky you!
Only a few on here can say they havent lost any oil.
I would think your experience should be EVERYONES who buys a brand new 2012-2013 car of any brand.
Probably 98-99% of owners can honestly say that they are not noticing any oil consumption. You can surround yourself with the others on the forum who are affected, and read the Forester forums, etc, to search for more, and you will find them, but most people don't have cars that are burning oil like yours is, and by most, I mean almost all.

I don't know why you think there are so many affected, probably because it is your raison d'etre to be here at this point.

Everyone, including me, probably burns a drop or two, but that does not mean there is noticeable oil consumption between oil changes. I have not added oil to my car since the last change (not even a drop).

By the way, one vehicle in my garage, with Amsoil in it, is consuming oil between changes -- it is my wife's Nissan Rogue (about a liter per 10,000 miles).
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #3160
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Yadayadayada...
Says mr subaru lawyer man...
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #3161
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Color me green with jealousy. Burning about a quart per 700-800 miles now with 25k miles on the OD. Starting consumption test soon.
You'll likely be the next on here with a new shortblock, hopefully it works out better than Greg's. Good luck man, keep us posted!
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #3162
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

Raison d'Ítre (French pronunciation: ​[ʁɛzɔ̃ d‿ɛːtʁ]) is a French phrase meaning "reason for existence."

to that I always add persecution complex:

A persecution complex is a term given to an array of psychologically complex behaviours, that specifically deals with the perception of being persecuted, for various possible reasons, imagined or real.

aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #3163
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

You guys are sad. And to keep slandering me, and tryin to use big fancy words, is just making it look like yoir personal hobbies are to crap on anyone who HATES SUBARU OF AMERICA.
Your personal attacks and constant monitoring seem to me to make you guys/gals the ones who are paranoid, irrational, or just mean and lame.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #3164
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
Probably 98-99% of owners can honestly say that they are not noticing any oil consumption. You can surround yourself with the others on the forum who are affected, and read the Forester forums, etc, to search for more, and you will find them, but most people don't have cars that are burning oil like yours is, and by most, I mean almost all.

I don't know why you think there are so many affected, probably because it is your raison d'etre to be here at this point.

Everyone, including me, probably burns a drop or two, but that does not mean there is noticeable oil consumption between oil changes. I have not added oil to my car since the last change (not even a drop).

By the way, one vehicle in my garage, with Amsoil in it, is consuming oil between changes -- it is my wife's Nissan Rogue (about a liter per 10,000 miles).
But when you add in the Forester and BRZ owners that are burning oil as well, it gives you a general idea how "widespread" the problem is, even if its only effecting 2-3% of owners.

My car seems to be burning some oil, while not as bad as others, it still pisses me off
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #3165
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

First the strategy was to slander/defame me and make me look like a "lone nut" but when others started to have the same problem, the strategy shifted a bit to a new mode of attack wherein you bury the real conversation with attacks while "playing lawer" for soa.
Thats the only reason you post in this thread. You dont burn oil or have anything helpful to say or contribute.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #3166
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
But when you add in the Forester and BRZ owners that are burning oil as well, it gives you a general idea how "widespread" the problem is, even if its only effecting 2-3% of owners.

My car seems to be burning some oil, while not as bad as others, it still pisses me off
Thank you!!! Sounds like any sane rational owner to me.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #3167
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Funny you mention that other "fb/fa" models are having oil issues too, as a link to a discussion about 2013 Legacy's is what started this last round of smearing and attacks.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #3168
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post

But when you add in the Forester and BRZ owners that are burning oil as well, it gives you a general idea how "widespread" the problem is, even if its only effecting 2-3% of owners.

My car seems to be burning some oil, while not as bad as others, it still pisses me off
I'm on record predicting less than 1% of the redesigned Imprezas burn oil (I think my guess was 0.3%, you can search this forum for my math)

But that is an estimate, based upon the actual number of owners here affected, multiplying that by 100, and using the total number on the road.

Those who think more than that are affected never show their math, meaning the evidence showing that more than I estimated are affected.

So far this forum agrees the real number affected is somewhere between my .3% and Stevenhm's 25% (which is laughable, because that would be 20,000 of the 80,000, and if that were the case I doubt Consumer Reports would be endorsing the car, and more than 10-20 owners would be on here arguing about it).

PS: I am not a lawyer, but I play one on TV (disclaimer: this is not true, nor have I gotten my first check from SOA, still watching for it to arrive)

Last edited by Zeeper; 03-26-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #3169
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

slander n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit. Damages (payoff for worth) for slander may be limited to actual (special) damages unless there is malicious intent, since such damages are usually difficult to specify and harder to prove. Some statements such as an untrue accusation of having committed a crime, having a loathsome disease, or being unable to perform one's occupation are treated as slander per se since the harm and malice are obvious, and therefore usually result in general and even punitive damage recovery by the person harmed. Words spoken over the air on television or radio are treated as libel (written defamation) and not slander on the theory that broadcasting reaches a large audience as much if not more than printed publications

For me to have slandered you I would have had to have said something that was untrue. It is my opinion that based off the multiple posts you have made in this thread and others coupled with your vitriolic attacks on others when they disagree with you that you clearly have some sort of persecution complex. On more than one occassion you have committed indirect attacks on others in different threads an example of which would be your severe service jab at myself in the other thread. You also seem to be in the habit of calling ppl trolls or attempting to characterize them as things they are not ie lawyers for soa. I have also posted the consumption ratio for my car in this thread and wrote that very long post that the fb engines do have consumption but your specific engine seems to use more oil than would be considered normal. You can mouth off all day call me a thread nazi and continue along with your personal attacks so far I have not once called you a pejorative or lowered myself to engage with you in name calling. To use the colloquial: "come at me dawg"
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #3170
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I'm on record predicting less than 1% of the redesigned Imprezas burn oil (I think my guess was 0.3%, you can search this forum for my math)

But that is an estimate, based upon the actual number of owners here affected, multiplying that by 100, and using the total number on the road.

Those who think more than that are affected never show their math, meaning the evidence showing that more than I estimated are affected.

So far this forum agrees the real number affected is somewhere between my .3% and Stevenhm's 25% (which is laughable, because that would be 20,000 of the 80,000, and if that were the case I doubt Consumer Reports would be endorsing the car, and more than 10-20 owners would be on here arguing about it).
So you're basing your math on posts on this forum, and extrapolating that to the larger population of Impreza owners? What percentage of Impreza owners are members here, and what subset of them are burning oil? Chances are, the members here are a small percentage of the overall Impreza population.

For example, say theres 200 members on this forum with a '12 Impreza, and 20 say they have oil burning problems. 20/200 = 10% of all Imprezas, according to your math. It's all hearsay.

The overall larger point is that this new design of engine appears to have a greater probability of burning oil, looking at Impreza, Forester, Legacy etc. And how many car owners are like me, where we're burning oil but not at a rate enough to have the check oil light come on?
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #3171
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post

So you're basing your math on posts on this forum, and extrapolating that to the larger population of Impreza owners? What percentage of Impreza owners are members here, and what subset of them are burning oil? Chances are, the members here are a small percentage of the overall Impreza population.

For example, say theres 200 members on this forum with a '12 Impreza, and 20 say they have oil burning problems. 20/200 = 10% of all Imprezas, according to your math. It's all hearsay.

The overall larger point is that this new design of engine appears to have a greater probability of burning oil, looking at Impreza, Forester, Legacy etc. And how many car owners are like me, where we're burning oil but not at a rate enough to have the check oil light come on?
Well if it burns oil but no oil light then that that's not close to enough to be a problem. For the people that do have an oil consumption problem where the light does come on it seems it's normal as well...as told by people in this forum. I know it's not normal, people here are just getting paid to make us think it's normal. Or are brainwashed to think so.
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #3172
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
So you're basing your math on posts on this forum, and extrapolating that to the larger population of Impreza owners? What percentage of Impreza owners are members here, and what subset of them are burning oil? Chances are, the members here are a small percentage of the overall Impreza population.

For example, say theres 200 members on this forum with a '12 Impreza, and 20 say they have oil burning problems. 20/200 = 10% of all Imprezas, according to your math. It's all hearsay.

The overall larger point is that this new design of engine appears to have a greater probability of burning oil, looking at Impreza, Forester, Legacy etc. And how many car owners are like me, where we're burning oil but not at a rate enough to have the check oil light come on?
I would only say that if 8,000 Impreza's are affected (10%), you guys on this forum, that is easily found with google, are not doing enough to find the other 7,980 who have the issue.

Do you want to call them the silent majority?

Oh, and if 10% are burning oil, Consumer Reports is doing a great disservice to American automobile consumers.

Last edited by Zeeper; 03-26-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #3173
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Wouldnt be the first time CR was waaay wrong.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #3174
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I asked, Subaru wont tell me whos burning oil, or how to reach them.
I have this thread online, but oddly argumentative entities pollute it as much as possible, so any new owner who finds the thread may not want to be subjected to the session of catharsis...
I know Ive gotten several pm's from owners who dont post or have quit...
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #3175
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I would only say that if 8,000 Impreza's are affected (10%), you guys on this forum, that is easily found with google, are not doing enough to find the other 7,980 who have the issue.

Do you want to call them the silent majority?

Oh, and if 10% are burning oil, Consumer Reports is doing a great disservice to American automobile consumers.
My main point was that its hard to extrapolate data from this forum and use it towards the issue as a whole. This is a niche forum.
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11-'14) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11-'14) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.