Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #3426
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
... I also put down enough on my car that I could sell it now and still walk away with my original down payment.
Flyboy, I consider myself pretty aware financially, but I don't understand what this statement means. Please explain.

I assume you mean that you are "above water" (in terms of equity you have in your car) by at least the amount of your down payment. Is that what you're saying?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #3427
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Guys did any of you think that because this was the first year of a new design there was a little bit of risk / work out the bugs when you entered into the purchase? That was the only thing that scared the hell out of me but as i was driving to pick up the car and my current car was overheating because of a weak Head Gasket i thought my chances were pretty good with a Subaru.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #3428
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Guys did any of you think that because this was the first year of a new design there was a little bit of risk / work out the bugs when you entered into the purchase? That was the only thing that scared the hell out of me but as i was driving to pick up the car and my current car was overheating because of a weak Head Gasket i thought my chances were pretty good with a Subaru.
Normally I don't buy the first model year of a redesign. But I was motivated to sell my 2010 TDI before the 2013's came out, which would have increased my TDI's depreciation.

So I decided that I would buy my 2012 Impreza on June 22, 2012, which was quite late in the model year. My hope was that any early bugs would have been ironed out by that late point in the 2012 model year, and it appears that I was right. My car didn't have the passenger seat occupancy sensor or passenger door window issues that some early 2012's had. In fact, my car has been pretty much flawless.

Maybe I just got lucky.

Last edited by sgoldste01; 04-12-2013 at 03:57 PM.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #3429
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Guys did any of you think that because this was the first year of a new design there was a little bit of risk / work out the bugs when you entered into the purchase? That was the only thing that scared the hell out of me but as i was driving to pick up the car and my current car was overheating because of a weak Head Gasket i thought my chances were pretty good with a Subaru.
i try to avoid the first year of a new generation, but i was in need of a new car, and moreso than normal, pronto.

my previous car had been totaled by the insurance company. i ended up researching, test driving, and buying a car all in the matter of a few intense days.

of course, in the end, i had to wait 4 weeks to take delivery on my Impreza (which thankfully was shorter than the estimated 6-8 weeks, and moreover, i had a friend who generously loaned me a car to use in those 4 weeks)
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #3430
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

Same here. I took delivery of my 2012 Impreza on July 27, 2012 and haven't had any issues mentioned with the early 2012 cars.
uspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #3431
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Guys did any of you think that because this was the first year of a new design there was a little bit of risk / work out the bugs when you entered into the purchase? That was the only thing that scared the hell out of me but as i was driving to pick up the car and my current car was overheating because of a weak Head Gasket i thought my chances were pretty good with a Subaru.
Same here (minus the head gasket) but my other car was really starting to nickel and dime us to death
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #3432
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Flyboy, I consider myself pretty aware financially, but I don't understand what this statement means. Please explain.

I assume you mean that you are "above water" (in terms of equity you have in your car) by at least the amount of your down payment. Is that what you're saying?
Yes what I could sell it for minus what I owe is equal to my down payment.
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #3433
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Well whatever the case may be with the oil consumption problems, I have only heard of one 2013 owner that had consumption issues. It is late enough in the MY that you would hear of more problems.

I bought car number 174 off the 2012 assembly line (The first 2012 I had), I wasn't thrilled about that and the problems I had were probably a result of that. The current Impreza was about 10,000th off the line and I have had no big issues thus far (knock on wood). I am consuming a little bit of oil, but not excessive so far.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #3434
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

I preordered my car without having seen or driven one. I have had no problems other than that it was delivered with a crooked steering wheel.

Ordering a car in the first model year is a risk, but all evidence so far shows that the impreza was a low risk purchase.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #3435
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I preordered my car without having seen or driven one. I have had no problems other than that it was delivered with a crooked steering wheel.

Ordering a car in the first model year is a risk, but all evidence so far shows that the impreza was a low risk purchase.
Yeah I preordered my first Impreza back in October 2011 to get the $500.00 in Subaru/Trek stuff.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #3436
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
huh..if you were so good with money, you wouldn't ever purchase a new car because that is a known loss, unless you are like me and plan to drive it into the ground over the next 10 years, in which case an extra 70/yr over 10 years really is just peanuts to keep an otherwise good car going (assuming 10 extra quarts of oil/yr at 7/qt). The oil for these cars is dirt cheap, our jetta has gone through 1qt roughly every 3000 for it's entire life and that is much more expensive oil, but that is really the only problem so we just keep feeding it as it has 125k on it now in my case I also put down enough on my car that I could sell it now and still walk away with my original down payment.

this thread is 100% win, so i will continue to read it for the daily laugh because your rants about NOTHING are hysterical

In the name of diplomacy, even though I think you're sort of preaching to the choir so to speak. I don't buy new cars. never.
Had a near-death experience and decided for onc I'd buy the nicest safest car that I felt was affordable. The awd and general safety of the vehicle are the main reasons I bought it.
Plus- my 98 GMC was really getting old daily driving.
But yeah you hit the nail on the head one one point- I bought the car with the intent and assumption that I would drive it for at least 8-10 years and take very good care of it.
I hope the thread war has ceased.
I'm goig to disagree that the oil is "dirt cheap", but at the same time I'd like to point out that the cost of the oil or the lameness of monitoring it aren't the issue. I genuinely feel like the oil consumption will lead to carbon buildup, o2 sensors failing, cats plugging up...
I just think that those of us that got oil burners got cheated.
I really was in love with the car until the oil thing.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #3437
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Well your emissions system should be covered under the 8 year 80k miles. 15 year 150k if you bought a PZEV.

To comment on your statement, MANY people have cars that consume oil including myself - however it is at a lower rate. I just checked and I am down about half a quart in 4k miles. Should I be complaining to SOA about it? The issue is that you have to put some metric to the threshold for considering an engine rebuild. SOA having the 1qt per 1200 miles is even more lenient to the 1qt per 1000 miles that is the SAE standard.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #3438
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I've never had a car or truck burn this much. And with the majority of owners saying theirs doesn't consume any, I feel that some are not made as well as others.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #3439
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Well your emissions system should be covered under the 8 year 80k miles. 15 year 150k if you bought a PZEV.

To comment on your statement, MANY people have cars that consume oil including myself - however it is at a lower rate. I just checked and I am down about half a quart in 4k miles. Should I be complaining to SOA about it? The issue is that you have to put some metric to the threshold for considering an engine rebuild. SOA having the 1qt per 1200 miles is even more lenient to the 1qt per 1000 miles that is the SAE standard.
The pzev versions get screwed on the warranty unless you live in a state that requires it :-(
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #3440
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I've never had a car or truck burn this much. And with the majority of owners saying theirs doesn't consume any, I feel that some are not made as well as others.
But im willing to bet those owners dont get the same MPG you get either. There is an advantage to having a loosly built engine.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #3441
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post

But im willing to bet those owners dont get the same MPG you get either. There is an advantage to having a loosly built engine.
I don't burn any oil and I get great mpgs
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #3442
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
I don't burn any oil and I get great mpgs
Man, I bought a new car last year, wish I could make that ssme statement.
Thats the thing. I think everyone who bought a 2012/2013 Impreza *should* be able to say that.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #3443
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Greg- hows the new shortblock doing?
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #3444
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

fumoto valve: for anyone monitoring their oil level, if you notice your oil level drops after 200 miles and then drops to 1/2qt gone after 1000miles it might be the fumoto valve.
There was no sign of leekage around the blue washer or at the valve itself but I had my oil disappear on me. Checked the entire engine bay no oil, no black soot nada, changed out the valve and racked up some mileage and guess what no oil loss. So now I need to get a new fumoto valve since the one on the dgm impreza had no oil loss when it went on. contacted fumoto gave them my amazon order number they said they couldn't find the order number so I am sol. checking on the valve turns out some ppl have noticed some oil lost with the valve, but if you notice alot of oil disappearing its usually the blue washer that is to blame because it can become deformed or crack slightly. I am getting a new one just to be safe.
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #3445
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoporta View Post
fumoto valve: for anyone monitoring their oil level, if you notice your oil level drops after 200 miles and then drops to 1/2qt gone after 1000miles it might be the fumoto valve.
There was no sign of leekage around the blue washer or at the valve itself but I had my oil disappear on me. Checked the entire engine bay no oil, no black soot nada, changed out the valve and racked up some mileage and guess what no oil loss. So now I need to get a new fumoto valve since the one on the dgm impreza had no oil loss when it went on. contacted fumoto gave them my amazon order number they said they couldn't find the order number so I am sol. checking on the valve turns out some ppl have noticed some oil lost with the valve, but if you notice alot of oil disappearing its usually the blue washer that is to blame because it can become deformed or crack slightly. I am getting a new one just to be safe.
no issues here with my fumoto valve

could always use teflon tape on the threads too just in case
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #3446
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

So I had my oil changed at the dealership the other day ($73) and they started an oil consumption test. They took off my Fumoto valve and replaced it with an OEM plug for the duration of the test.

Have to go back in 1000 miles to have the level checked They're also gonna fix my seat back with the bushings from the TSB.

The tech who did my oil change said that the oil consumption complaints have become quite numerous and causing many headaches.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #3447
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Good luck, hope things work out for you. Keep us updated.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #3448
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Normally I don't buy the first model year of a redesign. But I was motivated to sell my 2010 TDI before the 2013's came out, which would have increased my TDI's depreciation.

So I decided that I would buy my 2012 Impreza on June 22, 2012, which was quite late in the model year. My hope was that any early bugs would have been ironed out by that late point in the 2012 model year, and it appears that I was right. My car didn't have the passenger seat occupancy sensor or passenger door window issues that some early 2012's had. In fact, my car has been pretty much flawless.

Maybe I just got lucky.
Same here...I've always told people not to but the last 2 cars I bought were first year redesigns. 2011 Jetta TDI and 2012 Impreza....got the Subie because like you, I was motivated to get out of it before something bad happened. Glad I made the switch!

I was just saying the other day, I've not even had a single recall on the Subie, and by this stage of ownership on the Jetta, I had 3.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #3449
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

chaulk it up to luck of the draw I guess, kinda disappointed in fumoto for not even sending me a replacement washer, they were like 1 dollar for the washer 2 bucks for shipping. I didn't even respond I rather just get the new one and be done with it.
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #3450
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
So I had my oil changed at the dealership the other day ($73) and they started an oil consumption test. They took off my Fumoto valve and replaced it with an OEM plug for the duration of the test.

Have to go back in 1000 miles to have the level checked They're also gonna fix my seat back with the bushings from the TSB.

The tech who did my oil change said that the oil consumption complaints have become quite numerous and causing many headaches.
Thanks for the update man!
That tech sounds like the ones I've spoken with.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11-'14) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11-'14) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.