Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #3526
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...373836308_.pdf

Even though I found this coupon on the Amazon site, it's not an Amazon-specific coupon. I plan to buy 10 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 at Walmart, and submit for two of these rebates (which is the max allowed per person/address).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #3527
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...373836308_.pdf

Even though I found this coupon on the Amazon site, it's not an Amazon-specific coupon. I plan to buy 10 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 at Walmart, and submit for two of these rebates (which is the max allowed per person/address).
what is the price of Penzoil compared to Mobile 1 at Walmart?
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #3528
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
what is the price of Penzoil compared to Mobile 1 at Walmart?
About the same price, if I recall correctly.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #3529
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
About the same price, if I recall correctly.
cool. i'll give it a shot, at the very least for comparison. i still have 1-2 changes left of Mobile 1 in my cabinet, but i might as well take advantage of the posted coupon and try the Penzoil out.

the Mobile 1 has been fine for me for my 5k/6mo interval so far. no appreciable consumption so far, thankfully.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #3530
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Update:

My Impreza has officially failed the oil consumption test. I was just at the dealership and the tech pulled me into the garage to show me that it had burned over a quart of oil in 1100 miles. The tech was actually disgusted to see that it had burned that much oil and ordered a compression and a leak down test be done.

It sucks that my car consumes that much oil, but I'm glad at least something is being done about it now.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #3531
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
It sucks that my car consumes that much oil, but I'm glad at least something is being done about it now.
Yup, sounds like you're on the right track for a real solution.

Good luck.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #3532
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Update:

My Impreza has officially failed the oil consumption test. I was just at the dealership and the tech pulled me into the garage to show me that it had burned over a quart of oil in 1100 miles. The tech was actually disgusted to see that it had burned that much oil and ordered a compression and a leak down test be done.

It sucks that my car consumes that much oil, but I'm glad at least something is being done about it now.
congrats. Keep us updated
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #3533
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Update:

My Impreza has officially failed the oil consumption test. I was just at the dealership and the tech pulled me into the garage to show me that it had burned over a quart of oil in 1100 miles. The tech was actually disgusted to see that it had burned that much oil and ordered a compression and a leak down test be done.

It sucks that my car consumes that much oil, but I'm glad at least something is being done about it now.
Good news (even though it's bad news), if you can, please get the compression/leakdown numbers from the tech. That is the sort of data I have been trying to get from people in this thread. It may give you some indication of the problem! Good luck with things.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #3534
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Thanks everyone. The compression and leak down tests will probably be scheduled for next Friday (5/10). They're actually going to give me a loaner while they run the tests cause they said It'll take a few hours or more. I'll do my best to remember to ask for the numbers from those tests.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #3535
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Thanks everyone. The compression and leak down tests will probably be scheduled for next Friday (5/10). They're actually going to give me a loaner while they run the tests cause they said It'll take a few hours or more. I'll do my best to remember to ask for the numbers from those tests.
at least they are taking it seriously, it seems. and it's good that they gave you a loaner, too.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #3536
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
cool. i'll give it a shot, at the very least for comparison. i still have 1-2 changes left of Mobile 1 in my cabinet, but i might as well take advantage of the posted coupon and try the Penzoil out.

the Mobile 1 has been fine for me for my 5k/6mo interval so far. no appreciable consumption so far, thankfully.
Just bought the last two 5-quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 from my closest Walmart. Price before the rebate was approximately $22 for each jug. So after the $10 rebate, I paid $2.40/quart.

sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #3537
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Just bought the last two 5-quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 from my closest Walmart. Price before the rebate was approximately $22 for each jug. So after the $10 rebate, I paid $2.40/quart.

Can't beat that price. Did you buy any individual quarts too so you don't have to crack the second for the .3
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #3538
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Just bought the last two 5-quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 from my closest Walmart. Price before the rebate was approximately $22 for each jug. So after the $10 rebate, I paid $2.40/quart.

Wow! That's awesome! I definitely need to get some in the coming week. That's too good a deal to pass up!
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #3539
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Can't beat that price. Did you buy any individual quarts too so you don't have to crack the second for the .3
No, I have one full quart left of Amsoil OE 0W-20, so that'll provide the 0.3 for my next three oil changes.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #3540
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Update:

My Impreza has officially failed the oil consumption test. I was just at the dealership and the tech pulled me into the garage to show me that it had burned over a quart of oil in 1100 miles. The tech was actually disgusted to see that it had burned that much oil and ordered a compression and a leak down test be done.

It sucks that my car consumes that much oil, but I'm glad at least something is being done about it now.
Congrats man! I KNEW you'd be burning enough.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #3541
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

So they are going to run an oil consumption test on mine, i burned 4 quarts in 4500 ish miles ...
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #3542
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

You sound like a prime candidate for a repair. Good luck! And again, if are going to replace the short block and they do a compression/leakdown test, please share the numbers if you can.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #3543
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
You sound like a prime candidate for a repair. Good luck! And again, if are going to replace the short block and they do a compression/leakdown test, please share the numbers if you can.
Thanks ill let you all know
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #3544
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

So I've been thinking, if not this time around, next time i will hit their threshold of oil consumption by the end of my warranty time because its a progressing problem, and they don't renew the warranty when they replace the engine .. so do you guys think it would be better to trade the car in? Because, the way i see it, the car would never be the same once a shop mechanic replaces an engine.. not to mention resale goes down the tubes.

Do you think i could use this as leverage for a good deal on something else? Am i ****ed all the way around?
Thoughts? Please any input would be greatly appreciated
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #3545
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinnon99879 View Post
So I've been thinking, if not this time around, next time i will hit their threshold of oil consumption by the end of my warranty time because its a progressing problem, and they don't renew the warranty when they replace the engine .. so do you guys think it would be better to trade the car in? Because, the way i see it, the car would never be the same once a shop mechanic replaces an engine.. not to mention resale goes down the tubes.

Do you think i could use this as leverage for a good deal on something else? Am i ****ed all the way around?
Thoughts? Please any input would be greatly appreciated
I would just get the car fixed and drive it. Don't think that every engine has a ticking clock to oil consumption, that simply is not the case. There are plenty of people with higher miles that are not consuming oil. My car has ~13k on it and it consumes a small amount and hasn't changed since I got the car. If there is a problem with the repair, you simply have them fix it to make it right. SOA will obviously know that you had a short block done and will take care of any issue that might arise as a result of that. With regards to resale value, I had a friend with an STI that had a long block done under warranty and it didn't show up in carfax. He traded his car in and didn't get dinged on anything.

IMO, to trade the car in and have some poor purchaser deal with the same issue as you is not cool. You have gone through the gauntlet of getting the consumption test done AND are getting a short block replacement.
Just get it done and enjoy the car. If you really want to you can press SOA to get the drive train coverage of the engine extended a bit more given the inconvenience this has caused you. They may or may not give it to you.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #3546
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I don't think trading the car is in any way dishonest or otherwise deceitful. If its * normal/acceptable * then let subaru sell it to someone else. I am looking arpund at other cars myself.
Now selling it to an individual, I probably wouldn't be as apt to do.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #3547
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I don't think trading the car is in any way dishonest or otherwise deceitful. If its * normal/acceptable * then let subaru sell it to someone else. I am looking arpund at other cars myself.
Now selling it to an individual, I probably wouldn't be as apt to do.
Well if you want to be a jerk to a different owner that eventually gets it that go on ahead. I just don't want other people such as yourself complaining on the forums about burning oil.

And on your comment about * normal/acceptable *, it is NOT normal or acceptable which is why Subaru is replacing his short block. Make sense?
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #3548
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I don't think trading the car is in any way dishonest or otherwise deceitful. If its * normal/acceptable * then let subaru sell it to someone else. I am looking arpund at other cars myself.
Now selling it to an individual, I probably wouldn't be as apt to do.
Well i heard subaru has a nice guaranteed trade in program and id like to.see wgat they would give me.. do you think i would get beat out of the whole situation? I owe 14k ish and ford offered me 12k for it towards the ST
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #3549
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

My gtp is 16,666.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #3550
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Well if you want to be a jerk to a different owner that eventually gets it that go on ahead. I just don't want other people such as yourself complaining on the forums about burning oil.

And on your comment about * normal/acceptable *, it is NOT normal or acceptable which is why Subaru is replacing his short block. Make sense?
My car doesnt burn a quart in 1200 miles. Thats "normal". And I would much rather trade it to a dealer than sell it to an individual. I didnt build the car, and if someone buys it from a dealer used, thats not on me. Maybe *they* can either get it fixed or maybe they think its cool to burn oil. Either way- not my problem.
I shouldnt bear the brunt of the oily mess that is the subaru fb.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11-'14) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11-'14) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.