Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #3801
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Its all good. I agree with what you're saying.
But there arent any special additives in the factory oil. Its Idemitsu 0w20.
With some residual assembly lube.
I think I broke the last one in too conservatively.
I'm still not "going hard". I'm just varying rpms and load and not giving two ****s about mpg's for the first 1000-1200.
Your probably doing exactly what you should do. Not to easy, not to hard. Let me know how you like amsoil. I've never used it, and have been curious. I've always used Royal Purple. I'm a creature of habit, its not that I think RP is better than the next one.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #3802
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I've used amsoil before.
Their 75w90 Severe Gear is awesome stuff for your Sube's tranny and rear end. Ask Zeeper!
UOA's done on Amsoil samples as well as EXTENSIVE testing/use/abise by many government agencies with vehicles has led me to become a real believer in Amsoil products.
RP is probably really good stuff too, but it sure isnt as popular on the Subaru message boards. I definitely think Amsoils gear oils have a better reputation.
But for motor oil- all 0w20's perform well in tests and all seem to be really good oils.
I get free oil AND changes for life so after 3000 miles, it will lilely run factory Idemitsu.
But I am also a creature of habit, and having heard great things about Pennzoils new 0w20 I couldnt help but buy a couple jugs when they were available and on sale at wallyworld for like $24....
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #3803
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

The reason I'm going Amsoil (oe) is I want to make sure and have the BEST in there for its first change.
I think we all can agree that early engine life is the most crucial part.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #3804
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I've used amsoil before.
Their 75w90 Severe Gear is awesome stuff for your Sube's tranny and rear end. Ask Zeeper!
UOA's done on Amsoil samples as well as EXTENSIVE testing/use/abise by many government agencies with vehicles has led me to become a real believer in Amsoil products.
RP is probably really good stuff too, but it sure isnt as popular on the Subaru message boards. I definitely think Amsoils gear oils have a better reputation.
But for motor oil- all 0w20's perform well in tests and all seem to be really good oils.
I get free oil AND changes for life so after 3000 miles, it will lilely run factory Idemitsu.
But I am also a creature of habit, and having heard great things about Pennzoils new 0w20 I couldnt help but buy a couple jugs when they were available and on sale at wallyworld for like $24....
Thanks- I wanted to change gear and tranny oil out- but didn't know what to use or if it was recommended. I read someone say not to use anything but factory stuff with cvt. I sold my JD mower ( don't have time to mow anymore) to a guy that runs a heavy equip co that sells Nissan equipment. Nissan gave them all 2wd trucks for service rigs. He changed all fluids to synthetic immed and gets 35. + or - mpg in the truck. He said mainly due to syn oils in drive train.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #3805
John451
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321966
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydneys South, Australia
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i H
Black Pearl

Default

There must be a reason Subaru specify ONLY use 0w20 full Synthetic from the first oil change.

A buddies BMW motorbikes ( 2 ) have a similar requirment with BMW stressing using anything else risked voiding warranty. Can only think these engines bores with their slippery coating and tight tolerances don't need "running in" in the same way they used to ?

Last edited by John451; 07-06-2013 at 12:59 PM.
John451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #3806
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John451 View Post
There must be a reason Subaru specify ONLY use 0w20 full Synthetic from the first oil change.
One word: MPG
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #3807
CLL_OBP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John451 View Post
There must be a reason Subaru specify ONLY use 0w20 full Synthetic from the first oil change.
The FB engine. A pretty significant change from the old EJ engine. Especially with the cylinder head. Tight tolerances need the oil to be thin. I saw a video on YouTube from a Subaru service department talking about why these engines need 0w20 synthetic oil. I use 5w20 synthetic
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #3808
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
One word: MPG
Technically that's 3
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #3809
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Ive heard rumors on the web that xv's have been found to come filled with 5w20.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #3810
nels0300
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331332
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2014 Camry SE V6
Silver

Default

I use whatever oil is on sale.

Napa 0W20 for $3.49 a quart currently. Made by Valvoline. Next time? Who knows, whatever is on sale.
nels0300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #3811
John451
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321966
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydneys South, Australia
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i H
Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post

Technically that's 3
While MPGs the obvious long term answer it's not the answer to my question with regards to run in.

My last 2 new cars that run Full synthetic were recommend by factory to use Semi for the first 12,000 miles before switching to Full. The Impreza is different in Requiring "Full" by Subaru from day one, so presume the engine is either pre run in by the factory or built so running in is unnessary for the bore although still required other mechanicals.
John451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #3812
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John451 View Post

While MPGs the obvious long term answer it's not the answer to my question with regards to run in.

My last 2 new cars that run Full synthetic were recommend by factory to use Semi for the first 12,000 miles before switching to Full. The Impreza is different in Requiring "Full" by Subaru from day one, so presume the engine is either pre run in by the factory or built so running in is unnessary for the bore although still required other mechanicals.
This was my concern, albeit I was unaware full synthetic came from factory. I also feel if that's the case then my thoughts for minor oil burn goes out the window. That is assuming tho, that Subaru engineers didn't jump into the new gov mpg guidelines blindfolded. I find it hard to believe they havnt thought things out properly, so to me that only leaves the fact that attention to proper break in is of less significance than previously thought. That is based tho, off of them having full synthetic from the factory.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #3813
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post

This was my concern, albeit I was unaware full synthetic came from factory. I also feel if that's the case then my thoughts for minor oil burn goes out the window. That is assuming tho, that Subaru engineers didn't jump into the new gov mpg guidelines blindfolded. I find it hard to believe they havnt thought things out properly, so to me that only leaves the fact that attention to proper break in is of less significance than previously thought. That is based tho, off of them having full synthetic from the factory.
I think you are better off running factory fill until closer to 7500 miles. From what I saw on my car it was still breaking in through 14000 miles and that was on 3 total changes. If I were to do it again I would run factory fill much longer than the 1200 I ran it
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #3814
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post

I think you are better off running factory fill until closer to 7500 miles. From what I saw on my car it was still breaking in through 14000 miles and that was on 3 total changes. If I were to do it again I would run factory fill much longer than the 1200 I ran it
I already screwed up then. I changed it to RP at just under 3,000. I'm just a little over 7 now and just did 2nd RP change. I'm not using oil, and it runs great for what it is. So hopefully I'll be ok.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #3815
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post

I already screwed up then. I changed it to RP at just under 3,000. I'm just a little over 7 now and just did 2nd RP change. I'm not using oil, and it runs great for what it is. So hopefully I'll be ok.
I'm at just shy of 23k and my oil is also pretty good, I don't notice any real drop in level until later in the interval.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #3816
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

I changed my oil twice so far, starting with a change to Amsoil OE at about 1200 miles, then Signature series at 7,000 miles. the car has about 12,000 miles on it now with no visible oil consumption.

The oil changes will neither increase nor decrease your chance of having an engine that consumes oil IMHO.

As far as break in: I didn't do a hard break in, nor did I baby it.

I did not really rev it up until well after the engine had broken in, and seldom do that now (hence my theory that there may be a correlation between those that rev the engine high and increased oil consumption)

Last edited by Zeeper; 07-07-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #3817
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

While i agree with you- no amount of rpm's helped my consumption test along.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #3818
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
While i agree with you- no amount of rpm's helped my consumption test along.
It did for some
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #3819
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Fixing to go wash and DETAIL a car that I LOVE!!
Feels great to not hate my car. Life is already much less stressful.
Once I started having to do plumbing, roofing, etc a LOT, I decided a new car was in order.
I like the towing ability, but alas, on the 4th some dickholes stole my trailer. God damn thievery...
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #3820
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Fixing to go wash and DETAIL a car that I LOVE!!
Feels great to not hate my car. Life is already much less stressful.
Once I started having to do plumbing, roofing, etc a LOT, I decided a new car was in order.
I like the towing ability, but alas, on the 4th some dickholes stole my trailer. God damn thievery...
Sorry bout that bro- I can't count the ladders, drills, etc I've had stolen at job sites. I loaned a new 18+2 challenger flatbed to a buddy who left it at his sign shop chained to his gooseneck between it and his building. They cut fence, busted chain and drug the gooseneck over and took my trailer. Cops said its a big issue, and most around here go to Oklahoma since they don't register trailers there. Go figure
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #3821
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Chancesof recovering my 6x12 homebuilt utility are pretty low...
I am in the middle of moving and actually was worried some asswipe would get it.
Oh well...
I'll do a 5x10 this time, so it'll be a little easier to pull with the XV.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #3822
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Chancesof recovering my 6x12 homebuilt utility are pretty low...
I am in the middle of moving and actually was worried some asswipe would get it.
Oh well...
I'll do a 5x10 this time, so it'll be a little easier to pull with the XV.
I should have bought an XV.

Last edited by G2Spfld; 07-07-2013 at 07:59 PM.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3823
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I would have originally if I'd been given the choice.
I actually scoffed at the idea of the xv when I first heard and read about it. I thought they had simply "lifted" the Impreza.
I like it well enough that, well, I bought it even though its a Subaru!
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #3824
Dubie2012
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353050
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubie2012 View Post
Update: I've had my oil light come on 3 times since the last oil change, which was performed at the dealership. Which tallys up to 3 qts in 4,000 miles. I've been talking to the service manager and he told me they're going to have a specialist come out to look at the car. They are going to want to keep it for 3 days and they'll provide me with a loaner. The manager wouldn't provide me with much details, however he mentioned something of a possible engine swap.
Just an update: They had a master tech look at my engine. He decided it needed to be replaced. It took them a month before they told me I could come pick up my car. When I picked it up I drove it 500 ft down the street and it started misfiring. The check engine and traction control light came on and the cruise light started blinking at me. I took it back to the dealer and they gave me another loaner. Everybody who I talk to about this asks me why they just don't give me a new car. Anybody have any experience with a full car replacement?
Dubie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #3825
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

How old is the car? How does the Lemon Law work in your state?

The misfiring might be a minor thing, like not connecting a sensor or two when the new engine was installed (although I would expect the service department to give the car a thorough test drive before having you come pick it up).
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11+) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11+) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.