Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #4001
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubie2012 View Post
Yes, that's what it says on paper. However, does a new car still drive like a new car after the engine has been torn apart or replaced within the 1st year? I wouldn't know because the dealership has been "fixing" my car for over 9 weeks now. In that 9 weeks they gave it back to me twice and both times it broke down within hours of getting it back. It's frustrating because I am meeting multiple criteria for my car to be considered a lemon except for the fact that my car is over a year old.
I havent heard anything good about a shortblock replacement on here yet.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #4002
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

No oil light. But I did just add the remainder of my oil from my last oil change (20oz) after 3000 miles of hilly/mountainous driving. I was about 1/3 the way from the low dot.

I'm 100% convinced the oil was just pushed through the pcv system because the same thing happens with my motorcycle, although the bike seems to do it at a faster rate and makes a mess of the top of my engine as it is just a filter on a hose.....

There were times on this trip where I was in gear coasting downhill to maintain safe speed for 12+ miles, that is a lot of engine braking!
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #4003
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

What kind of bike?
My pretty well modded ZRX1200 never has had this, not have any of my previous bikes. But I do libe in a flat state.
I could see your engines consuming oil if in the mountains on twisty roads.
But I think rings/bores are to blame for many oil burners.
My new XV doesn't get the carbon buildup on the ass end like my Impreza did.
So far no oil loss noted.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #4004
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown77 View Post
I know I thought I was one of the lucky ones with no oil issues.They had already replaced the oil pressure sensor at around 18k miles and it was okay for awhile but when it started I just kept on going back to the dealer whenever the light turned on so it was recorded.
yikes. do keep up posted. i'm at 13k and thought i was one of the lucky ones...i still hope i am, but your experience gives me some cause for concern that oil consumption could start after 20k...
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #4005
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post

I havent heard anything good about a shortblock replacement on here yet.
Mine is, so far so good! I do have a rough idle on cold start ups though, not sure if that's related. Subaru service guys said its normal, but they didn't get a chance to keep my car over night to check. It's quite the rough cold start at times though.
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #4006
Dubie2012
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353050
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post

I havent heard anything good about a shortblock replacement on here yet.
I am starting to think my situation is "dealership mechanic" issue rather than a warranty issue. I think they really screwed something up while installing this new engine.
Dubie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #4007
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown77 View Post
I know I thought I was one of the lucky ones with no oil issues.They had already replaced the oil pressure sensor at around 18k miles and it was okay for awhile but when it started I just kept on going back to the dealer whenever the light turned on so it was recorded.
I'm wondering if it might be something simple that's not catastrophic. Does anyone remember reading someplace of a person whose oil consumption was caused by something minor like a bad EGR or PCV valve?
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #4008
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubie2012 View Post
I am starting to think my situation is "dealership mechanic" issue rather than a warranty issue. I think they really screwed something up while installing this new engine.
Thats kinda the point I was trying to make.
How many fb engines has the service dept removed and swapped before?
Being that they screw up much simpler things, the last thing I'd want is a dealer installed engine.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #4009
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorz4 View Post
Mine is, so far so good! I do have a rough idle on cold start ups though, not sure if that's related. Subaru service guys said its normal, but they didn't get a chance to keep my car over night to check. It's quite the rough cold start at times though.
Glad youre happy. But both brand new Subaru's I've bought had very smooth idles, even in the winter in the morning. Did your new engine quit consuming oil.after break-in?
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #4010
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
What kind of bike?
My pretty well modded ZRX1200 never has had this, not have any of my previous bikes. But I do libe in a flat state.
I could see your engines consuming oil if in the mountains on twisty roads.
But I think rings/bores are to blame for many oil burners.
My new XV doesn't get the carbon buildup on the ass end like my Impreza did.
So far no oil loss noted.
Vstar 1100, the only place I have ever seen it lose oil was in Montana, at home I never have issues, again lots of high rpms in low gears climbing and descending mountains. Car is the same from what I can tell.

I went to Colorado over Christmas, but didn't remotely close to the same type of driving I did on this trip, which is why I used a lot more oil imho. I might try to source a new pcv valve though

Last edited by flyboy1100; 08-08-2013 at 01:53 PM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #4011
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post

Glad youre happy. But both brand new Subaru's I've bought had very smooth idles, even in the winter in the morning. Did your new engine quit consuming oil.after break-in?
Yea after the first oil light/top up I can report I have had zero noticeable oil consumption. How's your new ride treating you?
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #4012
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Lots better so far, Greg! Thanks!
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #4013
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Vstar 1100, the only place I have ever seen it lose oil was in Montana, at home I never have issues, again lots of high rpms in low gears climbing and descending mountains. Car is the same from what I can tell.

I went to Colorado over Christmas, but didn't remotely close to the same type of driving I did on this trip, which is why I used a lot more oil imho. I might try to source a new pcv valve though
My best friends dad rides a V-Star. He had to replace his engine at 10k because of oil problems. Apparently one of the cylinders didn't get proper lubrication.
But I don't recall him losing any oil or smoking.
Its a pretty comfortable bike, I just cant get used to shaft-drive.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #4014
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Please post any findings with the pcv if/when you replace, it, please!
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #4015
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Thats kinda the point I was trying to make.
How many fb engines has the service dept removed and swapped before?
Being that they screw up much simpler things, the last thing I'd want is a dealer installed engine.
The resources are there for the mechanic to successfully replace a short block. Beside the factory service manual they have a tech line that they can call for questions or anything that is out of the ordinary. If a mechanic is bad and doesn't install the shortblock right, they will have to fix it correctly. Not hard to show them the engine doesn't run right.

With regards to not wanting a shortblock replaced, yeah you're right I would rather NOT have to go through that, however if you NEED to do it, you do it. If given the option to fix your car or continue to have a engine that consumes oil, I would go for the former. That should be obvious.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #4016
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post

My best friends dad rides a V-Star. He had to replace his engine at 10k because of oil problems. Apparently one of the cylinders didn't get proper lubrication.
But I don't recall him losing any oil or smoking.
Its a pretty comfortable bike, I just cant get used to shaft-drive.
I am up to almost 30k on it, most go for over 100k w/o issues.

Like I said the only place I have had oil issues is in the mountains where it pukes a lot out the breather, and I really think the fb20 with it's high compression creates a lot of crankcase pressure when engine braking
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #4017
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

@ST- right,
But I disagree about the dealing having to fix it correctly. They are supposed to- but if something goes awry, which seems very likely, most dealers are notorious for the "thats normal" line.
Im sure they told Greg that idling rough is ok. Because they spent all that time fixing it and it would be a huge pita for them to sort out. And if you call SOA and complain, the dealer can just deny you service.
Thats right- SOA's official company policy is thqt any dealer can refuse any customer at any time for any reason they see fit. All they HAVE TO DO- IS SELL YOU THE CAR.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #4018
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I am up to almost 30k on it, most go for over 100k w/o issues.

Like I said the only place I have had oil issues is in the mountains where it pukes a lot out the breather, and I really think the fb20 with it's high compression creates a lot of crankcase pressure when engine braking
True.
Yours sounds like a very normal and well-functioning Subaru.
But with my last car I hardly ever engine-braked and it still chugged the crude. The XV I actually do use the engine to brake with, and not a drop so far...
Knock on wood!
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #4019
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post

True.
Yours sounds like a very normal and well-functioning Subaru.
But with my last car I hardly ever engine-braked and it still chugged the crude. The XV I actually do use the engine to brake with, and not a drop so far...
Knock on wood!
I use it all the time, rarely even touch my brakes above 25-30
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #4020
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
@ST- right,
But I disagree about the dealing having to fix it correctly. They are supposed to- but if something goes awry, which seems very likely, most dealers are notorious for the "thats normal" line.
Im sure they told Greg that idling rough is ok. Because they spent all that time fixing it and it would be a huge pita for them to sort out. And if you call SOA and complain, the dealer can just deny you service.
Thats right- SOA's official company policy is thqt any dealer can refuse any customer at any time for any reason they see fit. All they HAVE TO DO- IS SELL YOU THE CAR.
They cannot deny a faulty repair, I'm sorry but they can't.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #4021
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #4022
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Here's a good description of what the PCV valve does, and why:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #4023
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

The service manual says to not remove it unless broken, the next page is how to test it once removed....how am I supposed to test it w/o removing it? Lol

Part isn't horribly expensive, I might just go buy one tomorrow
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #4024
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Part isn't horribly expensive, I might just go buy one tomorrow
How much are they?
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #4025
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

How much are they?
16.95 msrp. They thread in, and it looks like dealer only for now, but my dealer always has things 15% off

Then again, I think it is probably functioning correctly, 1500+ miles of working the engine decently hard, but still can't hurt to have a spare
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11+) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11+) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.