Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #4401
cny12owner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322250
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Imp 2.0i Prem
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger37 View Post
I did the exact same break in process and am losing about a half quart as well between changes.
Sitting at just over 28k on my 2012. Just before the last oil change I had to add a half quart of oil. When asked about the oil loss, the dealer's service department nonchalantly said, 'oh, no problem, adding up to 1 quart of oil every 1200 miles is normal according to our district rep.'

During break-in, I didn't exactly go light on the gas, nor did I beat on the car. Safe to say I had the car up in the 4000-5000 rpm range on occasion when I forgot how the CVT would react to a good stomp on the gas. From what others have said here, it does not appear that a 'granny driver' break-in is a good idea.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cny12owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #4402
Rememo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340728
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5-spd

Default

After reading about dealers pulling stunts like overfilling the oil during consumption testing, I thought I'd check mine when I got home from the dealer tonight.

First I was greeted by this this little treat:



Upon removing it, I was not really surprised to find this, despite my belief that I'm dealing with a better than average service department.
Looks to be about 3/4 to one quart overfilled:




What a joke. I'm seriously afraid to drive it like this. Too much oil in an engine can cause all sorts of problems, although I know many of you have had dealers pull the same stunt and have driven with overfilled crankcases, seemingly without any issues.

Ahhhhh.... it's too bad I have a doctor's appoint coming up, 'cause my blood pressure is sky high right now.
Rememo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #4403
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Wow, I've never heard of a dealership zip-tying a dipstick in place. Yeah, that would piss me off too (in addition to the overfill).
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #4404
cny12owner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322250
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Imp 2.0i Prem
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
After reading about dealers pulling stunts like overfilling the oil during consumption testing, I thought I'd check mine when I got home from the dealer tonight.

First I was greeted by this this little treat:



Upon removing it, I was not really surprised to find this, despite my belief that I'm dealing with a better than average service department.
Looks to be about 3/4 to one quart overfilled:




What a joke. I'm seriously afraid to drive it like this. Too much oil in an engine can cause all sorts of problems, although I know many of you have had dealers pull the same stunt and have driven with overfilled crankcases, seemingly without any issues.

Ahhhhh.... it's too bad I have a doctor's appoint coming up, 'cause my blood pressure is sky high right now.
Let it sit overnight, and check it in the morning. It can take a bit for the oil to drain back down into the pan after you've been driving it, because it's a flat 4. You'll likely see a lower oil level then, but likely still around 3/8" over the 2nd hole.

The cable tie is an interesting twist. I can't see a reason for that. Bizarre.
cny12owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #4405
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cny12owner View Post
Let it sit overnight, and check it in the morning. It can take a bit for the oil to drain back down into the pan after you've been driving it, because it's a flat 4. You'll likely see a lower oil level then, but likely still around 3/8" over the 2nd hole.
This doesn't make sense to me. The more the oil drains into the pan, the higher the reading will be.

Right?
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #4406
Rememo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340728
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5-spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cny12owner View Post
Let it sit overnight, and check it in the morning. It can take a bit for the oil to drain back down into the pan after you've been driving it, because it's a flat 4. You'll likely see a lower oil level then, but likely still around 3/8" over the 2nd hole.

The cable tie is an interesting twist. I can't see a reason for that. Bizarre.
It had been sitting for about 45 minutes when I checked it (engine was barely warm to the touch), but I do plan on rechecking it tomorrow morning.

Someone on here joked about using something like a Mityvac to "help the process of consumption along". While I'd like to believe that the dealer added to tiewrap to prevent something like that, my gut tells me it was to prevent me from seeing the overfill.

I'm sending that dipstick photo to SOA. What a ridiculous situation.
Rememo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #4407
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

That's correct. It would go up after it drains back into oil pan, not down. That might apply when you first pull dipstick out after running it, but I'm sure most everyone here would wipe it off then check for fluid level at that point. I can't see how a zip tie would keep people out of it. I've never been thru the consumption test, but figured they would seal it up somehow if they are basing a new engine off of it. I however, would be very upset if they in fact did try and seal me out of my own car. If they give you trouble for cutting that off I believe I would make sure they had no confusion about how you feel before you leave there ;-)
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #4408
cny12owner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322250
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Imp 2.0i Prem
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. The more the oil drains into the pan, the higher the reading will be.

Right?
I guess I looked at it a different way, that potentially there is oil ending up in the dipstick tube during operation, and that after sitting overnight, all the oil will have drained down, including any in the tube, which in theory would lead to a more accurate reading.

You do make a valid point, though... would be curious to see if it does go higher, or ends up lower in the AM...
cny12owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #4409
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

That zip tie is there to keep you from seeing the oil level, and/or from siphoning out oil.

It doesn't appear to be anything special so I'm not sure how they'd know it hadn't been replaced.

It makes me wonder what they did to your drain plug.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #4410
Rememo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340728
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5-spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
It makes me wonder what they did to your drain plug.
I had a Fumoto valve installed, but they told me that they had to remove during testing, which is fair, but I was wondering the same thing about the drain plug. Maybe I'll take a peak tomorrow. Could be a blob of sealant, or paint on it. Something that would crack if the plug was turned.
Rememo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #4411
Rememo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340728
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5-spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
It doesn't appear to be anything special so I'm not sure how they'd know it hadn't been replaced.
I just found out. Paint in two spots

Rememo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #4412
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

^ yur so bustid. Lol!
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #4413
Rememo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340728
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5-spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
^ yur so bustid. Lol!
hahaha.... That paint looks suspiciously like the body color of my Impreza, so.....
Rememo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #4414
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post

I just found out. Paint in two spots
I'd be on the phone with my dealership ASAP with some not-so-nice words if they did that to my dipstick! The only thing they did during my consumption test was mark the position of the oil cap and filter. I never looked at the drain plug, but they might have marked that to. You best believe that my service manager heard about it when they overfilled my crankcase buy about a quart the time before last. I made the tech show me the oil level before I left the dealership last time and they made sure the level was spot on. It's sad that you have to babysit these people when they work on your car.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #4415
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
hahaha.... That paint looks suspiciously like the body color of my Impreza, so.....
Hmmm, you got some touch up paint? If they did that, you can almost guarantee they did something to the drain plug as well.

Maybe you should take it back and tell them you removed it to check the level instead of going x,xxx miles for nothing if they discover it was tempered with and start accusing you of something.

Then again, they should have just told you up front that they were going to do ensure the integrity of the consumption test by doing blah blah blah. That's just bad communication.
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #4416
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

How many miles do they want you to drive before returning?

You probably have to come clean about the zip tie, or attempt to forge the masterpiece yourself.

Check for markings on the filter, fill cap and oil gallery plug behind the filter housing.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #4417
Rememo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340728
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5-spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
How many miles do they want you to drive before returning?

You probably have to come clean about the zip tie, or attempt to forge the masterpiece yourself.

Check for markings on the filter, fill cap and oil gallery plug behind the filter housing.
You have to return to the dealer every 1000 miles. Not sure for how long.

There are no discernible markings on the filter, fill cap, or plug behind the filter. This makes me even more curious about their dipstick locking trick.
There is, however, quite a bit of oil spilled around the area. Not a very neat oil change.
Rememo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #4418
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

It's interesting that they didn't mark those items.

Quite a bit of oil could escape through a pinhole in a filter, or a 1/8 NPT turbo oil line restrictor in the oil gallery port... and that would be terrible...

If someone inserted a pin into the head of that zip tie, it would release without needing to be cut... equally tragic.

If I were a dealer, I might use UV reactive paint.

Last edited by Commander Keen; 12-14-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #4419
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. The more the oil drains into the pan, the higher the reading will be.

Right?
Yeah... exactly...
They *pretty much* read the same all the damned time anyhow. Its 0w20, folks. It takes very little time to drain to the pan after shutting the engine off.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #4420
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
I'd be on the phone with my dealership ASAP with some not-so-nice words if they did that to my dipstick! The only thing they did during my consumption test was mark the position of the oil cap and filter. I never looked at the drain plug, but they might have marked that to. You best believe that my service manager heard about it when they overfilled my crankcase buy about a quart the time before last. I made the tech show me the oil level before I left the dealership last time and they made sure the level was spot on. It's sad that you have to babysit these people when they work on your car.
Yes it is, but yeah, you do have to babysit most subaru service departments.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #4421
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
You have to return to the dealer every 1000 miles. Not sure for how long.

There are no discernible markings on the filter, fill cap, or plug behind the filter. This makes me even more curious about their dipstick locking trick.
There is, however, quite a bit of oil spilled around the area. Not a very neat oil change.
Yeah, I too have had a horribly messy dealer oil change. At least a quart ended up all over the engine. You HAVE to babsit most of these folks. SOA isn't gonna.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #4422
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

I dont think they can require you to leave that zip tie on own your damn dipstick. Also extremely shady that they overfilled it so much - it seems like they were trying to pad them selves a little extra room for the oil consumption

I would contact SOA and tell them this - it isnt an honest attempt to get to the root cause of your consumption
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #4423
Rememo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340728
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5-spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
I dont think they can require you to leave that zip tie on own your damn dipstick. Also extremely shady that they overfilled it so much - it seems like they were trying to pad them selves a little extra room for the oil consumption

I would contact SOA and tell them this - it isnt an honest attempt to get to the root cause of your consumption
I emailed SOA, again, the same night I picked up the car. I included the photos and expressed my extreme displeasure with the dealer and Subaru. I even mentioned the new TSB regarding the coating on the oil control rings.

The response I received was incredibly generic, telling me to work with the dealer and that SOA could monitor my progress should I desire.

I haven't emailed the service manager yet, although I just received their performance survey.

Now I know why many of you with consumption issues have simply decided to trade the vehicle in.

I just put together a list of all of the cars I've owned in my lifetime, and whether or not they burned oil. I have always done my own maintenance, so I was always aware of what was going on with each automobile.

1972 Toyota Corolla - No
1974 Toyota Corolla - No
1975 AMC Hornet - Yes (piece of junk)
1972 Volkswagon Beetle - No
1979 Jeep CJ5 - No (leaked some though)
1986 Nissan 200SX - No
1997 Nissan Kingcab 4X4 - No
1996 Subaru Impreza - No
1998 Honda Accord - No
1998 Honda Passport - No (leaked oil from bad head gasket)
2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0 - No (5800 mile trip out west. Mountains, deserts, never burned a drop)
2003 Ford Ranger 4X4 V6 - No (6500 mile trip out west. Mountains, deserts, never burned a drop)
2012 Ford Focus - No
2013 Subaru Impreza - YES

But hey... Subaru says it's normal for all cars to burn oil.
Rememo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #4424
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
I emailed SOA, again, the same night I picked up the car. I included the photos and expressed my extreme displeasure with the dealer and Subaru. I even mentioned the new TSB regarding the coating on the oil control rings.

The response I received was incredibly generic, telling me to work with the dealer and that SOA could monitor my progress should I desire.

I haven't emailed the service manager yet, although I just received their performance survey.

Now I know why many of you with consumption issues have simply decided to trade the vehicle in.

I just put together a list of all of the cars I've owned in my lifetime, and whether or not they burned oil. I have always done my own maintenance, so I was always aware of what was going on with each automobile.

1972 Toyota Corolla - No
1974 Toyota Corolla - No
1975 AMC Hornet - Yes (piece of junk)
1972 Volkswagon Beetle - No
1979 Jeep CJ5 - No (leaked some though)
1986 Nissan 200SX - No
1997 Nissan Kingcab 4X4 - No
1996 Subaru Impreza - No
1998 Honda Accord - No
1998 Honda Passport - No (leaked oil from bad head gasket)
2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0 - No (5800 mile trip out west. Mountains, deserts, never burned a drop)
2003 Ford Ranger 4X4 V6 - No (6500 mile trip out west. Mountains, deserts, never burned a drop)
2012 Ford Focus - No
2013 Subaru Impreza - YES

But hey... Subaru says it's normal for all cars to burn oil.
Be careful. Your dealer are obviously as shady as has become the norm. The grass probably isnt much greener... My current dealer are good but most are as crooked as any other car dealers. I answered that customer satisfaction survey honestly once and got a call from soa saying I wasnt allowed back at that dealer. "The low CS scores can have you banned from a dealer" and "any dealer can refuse any customer at any time for any reason" are both actual company policy for soa. THEY DO NOT LIKE CONSUMERS STANDING ON THEIR RIGHTS
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #4425
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Only 2000 miles into my second oil change since my short block / heads replacement and the oil light has already been on for 500+ miles now. Still burning oil like a champ... POS
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 09:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 06:18 PM
('11-'14) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 01:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 11:36 AM
('11-'14) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 01:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.