Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #1051
BigVoxjammer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319171
Join Date: May 2012
Location: PortlanD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Spt Ltd
Sky-Blue/Gray

Default Long response here....Probably Wanders off-subject, but hell,its all about me, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
Relax 79... why so defensive all the time? BigVox was asking a question & providing helpful info for others.

On the subject of the Prius C... I think it's far from an Impreza aside from being a hatch. A friend just bought one & we took it on a road trip this weekend. It's definitely the Prius econobox & makes me feel like the Impreza isn't quite as cheap-o as some think it is. From smaller size, to no pick up to the plastic interior the Impreza feels like MUCH nicer car. For the few more MPG the C gets above the regular Prius (Prius 2), it feels so cheap on the inside & the lack of pickup it has just seems not worth the savings to me. I'd go for the Prius 2 if I had to chose a Prius but I gotta say I feel like I'm sitting pretty in my Impreza after that road trip.


Eh, 79's passionate, opinionated, and defensive because he's gotten a raw deal. We'd be similar, I'm sure. I think he does have a propensity to swear, get confrontational about others' comments, then accuse others of trying to start something, but that's human nature when everyone gangs up on you (a little, anyway). I don't doubt that he's a nice guy unfortunately eating a s**t sandwich at the moment.

79: The reason I show my "dirty" air filter isn't a challenge. The reason I post with pics is because people arrive at a thread doing internet searches on subjects that interest them; sometimes the information being sought out is critical to the success of a personal project, like changing oil and maintenance, or reliability info about a model of auto. Arriving at this thread, a searcher will come to several conclusions about Imprezas and oil burn that may or may not be accurate in all cases. A propensity for dirty filters may be assumed by someone, who may then overreact and replace their $15 air filter every 1000 miles (lol). This doesn't mean that they shouldn't bear the warnings expressed here in mind, but it may not express the whole story. Whether you like the airbox or not, I'm suggesting, is beside the point. Someone looking for useful information may, like the rest of us, not quite have gotten what you meant when you spoke of the dirty/used air filter. I, too, assumed you were dogging the design. I stand corrected, but your experience wasn't my concern so much as an actual pic of the filter for the benefit of others who may have only heard they get dirty, rather than seen what is meant. We should all post pics often to illustrate our points.

As for the Prius, I think the windshield, the chines from the headlight to the windscreen along the hood, how far back the rear wheels sit, all look similar to the Imreza. I guess I'm assuming this is due to the relationship between Toyota and Subaru rather than the modern design conventions of "hot" hatches.

That Prius must be truely gutless, also, because I find my "sport" Impreza to be well condusive to my old lady method of driving. It is, ahem, tepid off the line, and from 20-35 miles an hour can requiring a bit of pedal play to have anything approaching speedy in its acceleration. I have dwelt on this thought, about how turd-like the car is in many ways: it may be my impression because you can't feel any shifting gears and the rpm's can just sit at 1500 during some accelerations. Then all of a sudden I startle myself getting on a freeway and charging up to 65 mph like I'm in a space ship. Perceptions may vary, but sporty this Impreza is NOT.

I also think, while it tracks true and keeps an aggressive twisty line in the hills above the Columbia river or along the way to the coast well enough, it rides like a light truck: the springs or the tires, or something, are less than firm, the steering wheel feels "twitchy" or like I need to micro-adjust it constantly, even though it tracks well, it reminds me of a light truck. Maybe I'm just not used to an all-wheel drive, but I haven't quite accepted the less than nimble ride even after 4k. And I'm coming from a Safari van that wandered about, and I'm still a little "meh" about the Impreza in this commonly admired handling category. However, I am in fact getting the mpg's as promised, according to my Road Trip app calculations, kept from mile 5 of ownership: 27-28 stop-and-go, 37-40 highway, 31-32 on I-84 in the Gorge when it's famously windy and buffeting to drive, with a 30.something mpg's combined on Trip A which hasn't been reset since mile 5. I'm sure this is because I drive like I'm F.O.B. and looking for some Dim-Sum. Wrap that s**t up, cuz I'll take it!!

Aaaalllll that said, the interior comforts, the seat design, and position is great for me at 5'11, 200lbs; I can drive at ease with no fatigue for hours, nothing poking my ribs, no protrusions at odds with my physiognomy, no squeaks (yet) other than a spot where the leather creaks at the plastic seat adjuster when I shift my butt around; the stereo is great especially after the "secret" menu fix was applied, with damn decent speakers that are clear louder than I want to listen other than occasional ipod drops ("reading files"), and the controls for climate control so well placed, and the adjustable cruise control a real revelation (c'mon! Throttle by thumb?? My car is a video game!), that I think it's waaay ahead of other econo-cars in this regard. Again, here opinions vary....
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BigVoxjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #1052
BigVoxjammer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319171
Join Date: May 2012
Location: PortlanD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Spt Ltd
Sky-Blue/Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanyer View Post
And an 8.5 gallon ($32) fill up gets me 425-450 miles.
That's f*cking mazing mileage. Hurrah.
Based on what I wrote above about the interior of my Impreza, the Prius interior must be Lexus grade.......cuz my car's interior is awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post

It does sound nice to have 425 miles between fill ups but there comes a time when personal taste and style can only be pushed so far.


I am approaching 4k miles on this oil change and haven't noticed any lights and the oil level is staying right where it should.
I got almost 460 on one tank, but as we know that's 13,5 gallons (13.3, actually, the lowest I've run it down); what's the best tank pulled on an Impreza out of all you folks reading this? I know there's another thread for that, but, hell, since we're all together....
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabarupp View Post
The factory recomended OCI on a new mini is like 12,000 miles or something absurd like that.
Is that one of the reasons for their (perceived, anyway) problems? The OCI is too long? I always thought it was becasue they're so damn fun to drive that people just bury them into the ground joy-riding, in a short period of time...

Last edited by BigVoxjammer; 08-20-2012 at 03:11 PM.
BigVoxjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #1053
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVoxjammer View Post
That's f*cking mazing mileage. Hurrah.
Based on what I wrote above about the interior of my Impreza, the Prius interior must be Lexus grade.......cuz my car's interior is awesome!


I got almost 460 on one tank, but as we know that's 13,5 gallons (13.3, actually, the lowest I've run it down); what's the best tank pulled on an Impreza out of all you folks reading this? I know there's another thread for that, but, hell, since we're all together....
I Believe 402 and around 13.9 gallons i might be a little off i would have the check the records when i get back in my car
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #1054
BigVoxjammer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319171
Join Date: May 2012
Location: PortlanD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Spt Ltd
Sky-Blue/Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Your car has just become one of the Mobil1 test cases. You're not alone.

Stay tuned. Eventually we will figure this thing out. It would be nice if we could keep the personal attacks out of the thread so that we can work the problem without all the noise.
Dude. Not what I want to read....thanks for the scare. Now I'll really be watching. I suspect it may not be a real issue, or else Subaru would issue a warning not to use certain 0w-20 brands. If I notice any narstiness, I'll switch oils in a heartbeat, and hope there's no long term damage done. I'd sure hate to be an oil burner on THIS thread.
BigVoxjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #1055
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
It could also be that Mobil 1 and Turbo's are not a good combination. Just sayin'
Maybe. However, I have a friend with a non-turbo Forester that burns oil. He uses Mobil1. However, he also babied his engine during break-in.

So that's an unanswered question at this point: Is his Forester burning oil because he's using Mobil1, or is it burning oil because he babied it during break-in? Or is it burning oil because his engine was defective from the factory, so it would be burning oil no matter what?
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #1056
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVoxjammer View Post
Dude. Not what I want to read....thanks for the scare. Now I'll really be watching. I suspect it may not be a real issue, or else Subaru would issue a warning not to use certain 0w-20 brands. If I notice any narstiness, I'll switch oils in a heartbeat, and hope there's no long term damage done. I'd sure hate to be an oil burner on THIS thread.
my dealership has a mobile 1 sticker and i havent lost any oil. There is a strong chance im running it and seeing no issues.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #1057
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

BigVox- thanks for the kind words. Sorry for swearing. I DO curse a LOT. I guess its my job lol.
I do think the engine layout and airbox design are great. If my car didn't burn oil, I'd probably quit bitching about the seat and just take it to a good upholstry shop. That is- if they will work on stuff with airbags and sensors.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #1058
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

One of these days, I should create a new survey thread to capture these different variables. But I suspect our cars are too young for a survey to be very valid at this point. Maybe in a year or two.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #1059
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVoxjammer View Post
Dude. Not what I want to read....thanks for the scare. Now I'll really be watching. I suspect it may not be a real issue, or else Subaru would issue a warning not to use certain 0w-20 brands. If I notice any narstiness, I'll switch oils in a heartbeat, and hope there's no long term damage done. I'd sure hate to be an oil burner on THIS thread.
i'm with you BigVox... i am currently on my first change of Mobile 1 fuel economy 0w20. i've now at about 1800 miles on this change (changed at 2679 and now at 4450 or so) and so far, so good (i last checked a week ago), not noticeable oil consumption.

i bought enough for three changes, so unless i meet disaster, i'll be a mobil 1 tester for the coming year or so...
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #1060
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
i'm with you BigVox... i am currently on my first change of Mobile 1 fuel economy 0w20. i've now at about 1800 miles on this change (changed at 2679 and now at 4450 or so) and so far, so good (i last checked a week ago), not noticeable oil consumption.

i bought enough for three changes, so unless i meet disaster, i'll be a mobil 1 tester for the coming year or so...
Excellent. And BigVox, I wasn't trying to scare you. I was just pointing out as many theoretical possibilities as I could think of. I suspect that Mobil1 is a fine product, and that you and others will have great luck with it. But the service writer on this forum has stated her opinion of Mobil1, so it's worth monitoring as a sanity check.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #1061
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Well- last I checked there were five cars on the survey with oil consumption. I don't think driving style or oil are factors.
But yeah- a year from now a new survey would be interesting. I think most people with appreciable oil consumption probably won't be around, though. They likely will not like the "answers" soa provides and will get out of the cars at huge losses.
Those of you with GOOD imprezas can probably run ANY oil and have ZERO issues, ever.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #1062
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

I don't pay for a subscription, so maybe if someone does they can access the whole PDF file for this TSB but does this have any relevance? It says seepage rather then burning or consumption. I'm assuming seepage would be visible upon engine inspection... but here's the TSB description.

Quote:
Service Bulletin # 02-130-12
Pages: 3

Bulletin Description: The purpose of this Bulletin is to provide procedures for the diagnosis and repair of oil seepage which may be coming from the front camshaft cap, upper oil pan and /or the timing chain cover.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #1063
BigVoxjammer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319171
Join Date: May 2012
Location: PortlanD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Spt Ltd
Sky-Blue/Gray

Default

Wouldn't that seepage be visible? I have no problems seeing the engine from all seeming angles when I'm neurotically inspecting it, like the honeymooning bridegroom I am....

I also think that time will reduce the number of oil consumption complaints. Knock on wood I never join you in the hell of oil loss, 79, but four or five burned customers out of how many NASIOC new Impreza owners? Also, 79, and others in this crummy burn club, what mileage are you getting? What is the drive like in spite of the quart of oil in the back seat you'd be smart to haul around anyway? You say you wouldn't hate your car so much except for the loss, and the additude of the dealership and SOA....All dealers are scum Mastro-bate included: it's their job, as I painfully discovered in my horrible purchase experience. They'll all do you if they can. SOA is a corporate beast, and they'll obviously ignore the burners til a confirmed and GENERAL problem arises. As of now, from their POV, and mine for that matter (knockin' on wood, here), these are isolated incidents, easily explained by knucklehead hard driving (how did you get over 100 mph??Really?) or a bad day on the Fuji assembly line....What are the numbers of oil burners on the Prius threads, or the Mini threads?

Also, I think 0w-20 Fuel Saver oil is kind of an oxymoron: all 0w-20 is designed for fuel economy, so we're dealing with, in some ways, a novelty grade of oil. I think oil burners should use a thicker grade of oil, let the car warm up a bit longer, and flog their mules, because in their minds the car's f*cked anyways...Even the manual says 5w-20 conventional is OK in a pinch, and it is just a simple and ancient flat four engine design...why not use a different grade. The opportunity to experiment and offer practical advice is here for all of us to enjoy. You oil burners, once you're over the burn of your experience, should experiment with different grades for the edification of the rest of us.

I am checking my Mobil 1 dipstick fastidiously though. No loss after 15 miles. Keepin my fingers crossed (ha ha) that I don't get '79'd!

In the mean-time, here's a pic for all to enjoy, entirely off-topic, but so important to good times

morecowbell!!!! Yeah!!!! by Happy McMaster, on Flickr
BigVoxjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #1064
BigVoxjammer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319171
Join Date: May 2012
Location: PortlanD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Spt Ltd
Sky-Blue/Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
I don't pay for a subscription, so maybe if someone does they can access the whole PDF file for this TSB but does this have any relevance? It says seepage rather then burning or consumption. I'm assuming seepage would be visible upon engine inspection... but here's the TSB description.
What are the warning signs/ visible diagnostics?? I imagine sometimes I see more schmutz in the passenger wheel well than in the driver wheel well, but I haven't lost any oil, and my current theory is this is the side of the car near the gutters. Still it looks different than the other side's wheel well, and I am getting scared every time I visit this weird thread...
BigVoxjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #1065
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

I don't see how 5w would really hurt anything over 0w oil. In the case of Amsoil, and I'm sure others, the pour point is -54c vs -51c. Not a whole lot of difference.

But if the if the cars are consuming at startup when the oil is ungodly thin, it might just be what is needed. And if you live somewhere that didn't get really cold in the winter, why not? Even here where we might get -30f(-34c) a handful of times during the winter i would probably try it
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #1066
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

BigVox- your eloquently stated posts are almost always a good read, but please leave the only folks who associate themselves with subaru who have helped me alone. Mastro are definitely one of the GREAT Subaru dealers.
I'm completely ssatisfied with them. They've gone way out of their way for me and didn't even sell me the car. My bitterness towards Soa shouldn't reflect upon them. They didn't build my car. And they can't dictate corporate policy.
I think at the corporate level, subaru needs to think about what made people love their cars so much. Instead, they seem to be Toyota-fying their cars.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #1067
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVoxjammer View Post

Also, I think 0w-20 Fuel Saver oil is kind of an oxymoron: all 0w-20 is designed for fuel economy, so we're dealing with, in some ways, a novelty grade of oil. I think oil burners should use a thicker grade of oil, let the car warm up a bit longer, and flog their mules, because in their minds the car's f*cked anyways...Even the manual says 5w-20 conventional is OK in a pinch, and it is just a simple and ancient flat four engine design...why not use a different grade. The opportunity to experiment and offer practical advice is here for all of us to enjoy. You oil burners, once you're over the burn of your experience, should experiment with different grades for the edification of the rest of us.
Its been thrown out there that they should try to experiment with different weights. No one has done it so far. If they were really interested in tackling the problem they wouldn't need 20 people to tell them that this would be a good idea. Especially since everyone is experiencing this now that the weather is at its warmest.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #1068
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Those of us with legitimate, open cases with soa are way better off following the owners manual. I'm not putting a 30-weight bandaid on subaru's "low tension" ring design. And if 99% of the imprezas aren't burning 0w20, why should those of us with defective cars use a different weight? All that would do is give soa more excuse for possible warranty claim denial.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #1069
pgh88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316756
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVoxjammer View Post
Eh, 79's passionate, opinionated, and defensive because he's gotten a raw deal. We'd be similar, I'm sure. I think he does have a propensity to swear, get confrontational about others' comments, then accuse others of trying to start something, but that's human nature when everyone gangs up on you (a little, anyway). I don't doubt that he's a nice guy unfortunately eating a s**t sandwich at the moment.

79: The reason I show my "dirty" air filter isn't a challenge. The reason I post with pics is because people arrive at a thread doing internet searches on subjects that interest them; sometimes the information being sought out is critical to the success of a personal project, like changing oil and maintenance, or reliability info about a model of auto. Arriving at this thread, a searcher will come to several conclusions about Imprezas and oil burn that may or may not be accurate in all cases. A propensity for dirty filters may be assumed by someone, who may then overreact and replace their $15 air filter every 1000 miles (lol). This doesn't mean that they shouldn't bear the warnings expressed here in mind, but it may not express the whole story. Whether you like the airbox or not, I'm suggesting, is beside the point. Someone looking for useful information may, like the rest of us, not quite have gotten what you meant when you spoke of the dirty/used air filter. I, too, assumed you were dogging the design. I stand corrected, but your experience wasn't my concern so much as an actual pic of the filter for the benefit of others who may have only heard they get dirty, rather than seen what is meant. We should all post pics often to illustrate our points.

As for the Prius, I think the windshield, the chines from the headlight to the windscreen along the hood, how far back the rear wheels sit, all look similar to the Imreza. I guess I'm assuming this is due to the relationship between Toyota and Subaru rather than the modern design conventions of "hot" hatches.

That Prius must be truely gutless, also, because I find my "sport" Impreza to be well condusive to my old lady method of driving. It is, ahem, tepid off the line, and from 20-35 miles an hour can requiring a bit of pedal play to have anything approaching speedy in its acceleration. I have dwelt on this thought, about how turd-like the car is in many ways: it may be my impression because you can't feel any shifting gears and the rpm's can just sit at 1500 during some accelerations. Then all of a sudden I startle myself getting on a freeway and charging up to 65 mph like I'm in a space ship. Perceptions may vary, but sporty this Impreza is NOT.

I also think, while it tracks true and keeps an aggressive twisty line in the hills above the Columbia river or along the way to the coast well enough, it rides like a light truck: the springs or the tires, or something, are less than firm, the steering wheel feels "twitchy" or like I need to micro-adjust it constantly, even though it tracks well, it reminds me of a light truck. Maybe I'm just not used to an all-wheel drive, but I haven't quite accepted the less than nimble ride even after 4k. And I'm coming from a Safari van that wandered about, and I'm still a little "meh" about the Impreza in this commonly admired handling category. However, I am in fact getting the mpg's as promised, according to my Road Trip app calculations, kept from mile 5 of ownership: 27-28 stop-and-go, 37-40 highway, 31-32 on I-84 in the Gorge when it's famously windy and buffeting to drive, with a 30.something mpg's combined on Trip A which hasn't been reset since mile 5. I'm sure this is because I drive like I'm F.O.B. and looking for some Dim-Sum. Wrap that s**t up, cuz I'll take it!!

Aaaalllll that said, the interior comforts, the seat design, and position is great for me at 5'11, 200lbs; I can drive at ease with no fatigue for hours, nothing poking my ribs, no protrusions at odds with my physiognomy, no squeaks (yet) other than a spot where the leather creaks at the plastic seat adjuster when I shift my butt around; the stereo is great especially after the "secret" menu fix was applied, with damn decent speakers that are clear louder than I want to listen other than occasional ipod drops ("reading files"), and the controls for climate control so well placed, and the adjustable cruise control a real revelation (c'mon! Throttle by thumb?? My car is a video game!), that I think it's waaay ahead of other econo-cars in this regard. Again, here opinions vary....

If I had chosen this car based on engine performance and fuel economy only I would be disappointed. At almost 3k I can only squeeze 22.8 MPG city only driving. My next point is engine performance. Adequate with two aboard and if your driving with the AC on IMO it becomes a dog big time. I think you will see DI implemented in the next few years that should give a little bump in the HP and TQ department along with a more consistent MPG. On the positive side,taken as a whole, for just over 20k my sport is a solid value. I'm still concerned about the inconsistent fuel mileage. My full size 2010 Outback wagon matches my Impreza, but then again I don't and won't drive like granny. I don't now if anybody has noticed not many people drive slow. You get 36-40 mpg at a steady 60 mpg? wow try driving at an average of 75 and see what you get. I think Subaru had less than ideal conditions when the 27/36 was come up with. I agree with the steering, it becomes a little twitchy at highway speeds although I think the ride overall is very impressive. The EPS is probably the culprit along with a little too much softness in the front structure
pgh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #1070
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Those of us with legitimate, open cases with soa are way better off following the owners manual. I'm not putting a 30-weight bandaid on subaru's "low tension" ring design. And if 99% of the imprezas aren't burning 0w20, why should those of us with defective cars use a different weight? All that would do is give soa more excuse for possible warranty claim denial.
For all you know it could be your valve guides that are letting the oil in.... and you made all A's at UTI?

Would doing a compression test void your warranty?
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #1071
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh88 View Post
If I had chosen this car based on engine performance and fuel economy only I would be disappointed. At almost 3k I can only squeeze 22.8 MPG city only driving. My next point is engine performance. Adequate with two aboard and if your driving with the AC on IMO it becomes a dog big time. I think you will see DI implemented in the next few years that should give a little bump in the HP and TQ department along with a more consistent MPG. On the positive side,taken as a whole, for just over 20k my sport is a solid value. I'm still concerned about the inconsistent fuel mileage. My full size 2010 Outback wagon matches my Impreza, but then again I don't and won't drive like granny. I don't now if anybody has noticed not many people drive slow. You get 36-40 mpg at a steady 60 mpg? wow try driving at an average of 75 and see what you get. I think Subaru had less than ideal conditions when the 27/36 was come up with. I agree with the steering, it becomes a little twitchy at highway speeds although I think the ride overall is very impressive. The EPS is probably the culprit along with a little too much softness in the front structure
I agree with many of your points but the highlighted one is not factual.

Subaru didn't come up with the estimated fuel efficiency numbers to impress likely buyers or to fool people so they could sell more cars.

The EPA requires standardized testing that all manufacturers must comply with -- this allows consumers to compare fuel economy among various manufacturers and trust the numbers on the label as representative.

I don't know if Subaru actually ran the tests, or the EPA ran the tests, but the testing criteria is the EPA's, the numbers are certified by the EPA, and it has to pass the EPA approved testing before those numbers can be printed on your new car sticker and before it can be sold in the US.

However, there seems to be ample evidence that many drivers with short - city only commutes really should consider whether an Impreza is the best choice for them.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #1072
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I agree with many of your points but the highlighted one is not factual.

Subaru didn't come up with the estimated fuel efficiency numbers to impress likely buyers or to fool people so they could sell more cars.

The EPA requires standardized testing that all manufacturers must comply with -- this allows consumers to compare fuel economy among various manufacturers and trust the numbers on the label as representative.

I don't know if Subaru actually ran the tests, or the EPA ran the tests, but the testing criteria is the EPA's, the numbers are certified by the EPA, and it has to pass the EPA approved testing before those numbers can be printed on your new car sticker and before it can be sold in the US.

However, there seems to be ample evidence that many drivers with short - city only commutes really should consider whether an Impreza is the best choice for them.
As far as the short city commutes i this its perfectly fine. I got 25 mpg in city stop and go driving I drive 7 miles 1 way in traffic thats about 20 mph average or lower. You cant get any better unless the car was battery operated.

I guess be bar was set low when i had my suv that would get 19-21 on the interstate.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #1073
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
For all you know it could be your valve guides that are letting the oil in.... and you made all A's at UTI?

Would doing a compression test void your warranty?
If it were smoking on startup, I'd be more likely to suspect the guides, but it seems that every "f series" engine design has a possible pre-disposition to burn oil. Being that the Foresters have had it, the Imprezas, and it looks like the FR-S and BRZ may as well, I think the "lower ring-tension" design they all share is the most likely culprit.
Please stop with your creepy, troll-like activities and personal attacks. You just look like a lamewad internet forum troll.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #1074
TObject
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320185
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
i'm with you BigVox... i am currently on my first change of Mobile 1 fuel economy 0w20...
I changed to Mobil1 0w20 at 1000 miles, and then another Mobil1 0w20 oil change at 3000 miles. No problems to report.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #1075
djbono
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 208098
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Just an update: (unfortunately not adding any useful info)
1st oil warning lit @ 3300km (filled up by dealer, though only to the line (not more))
2nd oil warning lit @ 6600km (filled up by myself, a lil under 1L; seemed full but it was 3AM on an unlit quebec highway)
---- Now at 8200km, my gage shows only 1/3 full.

Even though the last figure suggest otherwise, I do think it's pretty linear consumption. I may have put in a lil less than the dealer at my 6600km warning light.

Question: One thing I might attribute to my "above-than-average" (notice I didn't say above than normal; as normality seems to swing alot from people to people) oil consumption is this: I always, always; 100% of time when I need to break, compress to lower gears rather than just braking. I've always been doing this, I guess to always be in a higher torque position and to save on brakes.

Am I right thinking this increases the pressure in the cylinders, and could be a reason to force out some oil ?

Should I not do that ? (But I've always done that w/o issues on my last toyota, dazmas & subarus).

---
Ive ordered in a bluetooth OBD2 dongle to record my driving data - as I find it a bit useless to perform an oil consumption test w/o knowing the driving style/figures.
djbono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11-'14) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11-'14) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.