Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default Weak Yen - How Best to Take Advantage?

So, I'll be qualified for the Subaru VIP Partners program come January and will be in the market for a new Subaru then. Tonight I was reading a Wall Street Journal article about how FHI is kicking butt now in the US because most of their models sold here are still manufactured in Japan and the yen has depreciated so much recently.

So I think I should focus on the Subaru models still built in Japan (Impreza, WRX/STI, Crosstrek, and Forester). What do you guys think? Subaru still hasn't announced prices for the 2015 Crosstreks, so maybe there's a good chance for a zero price hike with much added content. And, for the last two years, Subaru has announced its new Forester models within the first two month of the year. So maybe a 2016 Forester might be in play early next year, too?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by I Like Cooters; 11-15-2014 at 12:21 AM.
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Scrambler 900
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 392481
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

You can play the wait and see game for the rest of your life. I know guys who have been waiting for the next best motorcycle to come out for 10 years now. They still have not bought one because they are convinced there will be a better one announced the day after they buy.

Curious how you would "take advantage" of this anyway...
Scrambler 900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139955
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Default

What the christ are you asking?
vision.dynamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
BlackDahliaInFlames
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122821
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Findlay, OH + Cincinnati, OH
Vehicle:
2015 STI Launch Ed.
WRB+Gold

Default

Drugs are bad.
BlackDahliaInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
thill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377200
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Pole
Vehicle:
15 WRX
Ice Silver

Default

If you think Subaru will slash prices because the Yen is weaker than it was two years ago you are going to wait a long time. You do realize Subaru is having record sales at current prices? If anything they will most likely raise prices based on supply and demand. We are taking basic economics here...


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
thill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Dale2011WRX
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 304299
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nor'East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX, white
2014 Crosstrek, tangerine

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Cooters View Post
So, I'll be qualified for the Subaru VIP Partners program come January and will be in the market for a new Subaru then. Tonight I was reading a Wall Street Journal article about how FHI is kicking butt now in the US because most of their models sold here are still manufactured in Japan and the yen has depreciated so much recently.

So I think I should focus on the Subaru models still built in Japan (Impreza, WRX/STI, Crosstrek, and Forester). What do you guys think? Subaru still hasn't announced prices for the 2015 Crosstreks, so maybe there's a good chance for a zero price hike with much added content. And, for the last two years, Subaru has announced its new Forester models within the first two month of the year. So maybe a 2016 Forester might be in play early next year, too?
It's great when someone chooses a user-name that perfectly matches their intellect.
Dale2011WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
dopamine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235461
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default Weak Yen - How Best to Take Advantage?

If you're anticipating the release of the up and coming 2016 models, we're just as excited as you

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
What the christ are you asking?

And, +1 to Thill's reply


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
dopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
If you think Subaru will slash prices because the Yen is weaker than it was two years ago you are going to wait a long time. You do realize Subaru is having record sales at current prices? If anything they will most likely raise prices based on supply and demand. We are taking basic economics here...
Speaking of basic economics, Subaru's sales have been FALLING in Japan and Australia while Subaru's sales have finally stabilized at low levels in Europe's anemic car market. Meanwhile, Subaru's sales outlook in Russia today is absolutely bleak thanks to the ruble's recent collapse. Arguably, Subaru's ONLY significant bright spot is North America. If Subaru wants North America to continue taking up the slack, why wouldn't they cut US prices or, more likely, add significant content at current prices, as the WSJ article cited above suggested?

Last edited by I Like Cooters; 11-15-2014 at 05:09 PM.
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Cooters View Post
Speaking of basic economics, Subaru's sales have been FALLING in Japan and Australia while Subaru's sales have finally stabilized at low levels in Europe's anemic car market. Meanwhile, Subaru's sales outlook in Russia today are absolutely bleak thanks to the ruble's recent collapse. Arguably, Subaru's ONLY significant bright spot is North America. If Subaru wants North America to continue taking up the slack, why wouldn't they cut US prices or, more likely, add significant content at current prices, as the WSJ article cited above suggested?
It's a good thing you don't work for Subaru as an advisor.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
It's a good thing you don't work for Subaru as an advisor.
Agreed — it'd be a huge pay cut without any obvious compensating perks.

BTW, I've decided Subaru won't take any significant action, price-wise, with the Impreza and Crosstrek because it'll be moving their production to Indiana in 2016, which means Subaru will continue pricing them now as if they were made in the US (this will avoid a big Impreza/Crosstrek price increase in 2016). That leaves (for me) the Forester, which I'm pretty sure will not be manufactured in the US anytime in the near future. In the rest of the world, Forester is Subaru's #1 selling model and I think Subaru would like to see that happen in North America, too. So, I'll wait til early next year to see details about the refreshed US MY2016 Forester's content and price.

My thanks to all the experts out there for your help.
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Scrambler 900
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 392481
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Cooters View Post
Agreed it'd be a huge pay cut without any obvious compensating perks.

BTW, I've decided Subaru won't take any significant action, price-wise, with the Impreza and Crosstrek because it'll be moving their production to Indiana in 2016, which means Subaru will continue pricing them now as if they were made in the US (this will avoid a big Impreza/Crosstrek price increase in 2016). That leaves (for me) the Forester, which I'm pretty sure will not be manufactured in the US anytime in the near future. In the rest of the world, Forester is Subaru's #1 selling model and I think Subaru would like to see that happen in North America, too. So, I'll wait til early next year to see details about the refreshed US MY2016 Forester's content and price.

My thanks to all the experts out there for your help.
WOW just WOW...
Scrambler 900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
tico556
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 362086
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New England
Default

He raises a valid point. Why not talk to a dealership and see if theyll be willing to work with you on an order or something. Let us know how it goes.

And also, I don't think VIP applies to 2015 wrx/sti yet:'(
tico556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico556 View Post
He raises a valid point. Why not talk to a dealership and see if theyll be willing to work with you on an order or something. Let us know how it goes.
Um, not sure who/what you're talking about, but dealers don't set the invoice price - the price upon which all negotiations should be based.
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler 900 View Post
WOW just WOW...
Or, from my perspective, Duh! Just Duh!
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
slicky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 166470
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Default

As a consumer, there is nothing really you can do to take advantage of currency fluctuations. Subaru can choose to lower prices. But they wouldn't. And they shouldn't.
slicky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
ixelerate
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335969
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
OBP

Default

This whole thread makes no sense
ixelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #17
ixelerate
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335969
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
OBP

Default

If you want to take advantage of the weak yen, buy parts from Japan, they are ridiculously low right now.
ixelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #18
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicky View Post
As a consumer, there is nothing really you can do to take advantage of currency fluctuations. Subaru can choose to lower prices. But they wouldn't. And they shouldn't.
The whole idea here is to understand Subaru's motivations and predict likely outcomes. Subaru absolutely can choose to lower effective prices. For instance, Subaru could decide to equip EVERY US MY2016 Forester with EyeSight, without any price increase, because it can afford to do so while still remaining profitable and because it might hope to secure a larger market share for Forester within its category/class.
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
Scrambler 900
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 392481
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Dude, do you even drive or own a car?
Scrambler 900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
tico556
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 362086
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler 900 View Post
Dude, do you even drive or own a car?
The more i read... the more im convinced hes the type that sits around eating crayons and rolls his poop into balls.
tico556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
dopamine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235461
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default Weak Yen - How Best to Take Advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Cooters View Post
The whole idea here is to understand Subaru's motivations and predict likely outcomes. Subaru absolutely can choose to lower effective prices. For instance, Subaru could decide to equip EVERY US MY2016 Forester with EyeSight, without any price increase, because it can afford to do so while still remaining profitable and because it might hope to secure a larger market share for Forester within its category/class.

Or they can partition features such as EyeSight/Push-to-Start into separate package deals (at purchase) and generate more profit to compensate for the falling yen.

It'd be great if Subaru decided to add ES as a standard feature for the 2016 models.

From a business standpoint, can you see why Subaru could opt to raise their prices instead?


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
dopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #22
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixelerate View Post
If you want to take advantage of the weak yen, buy parts from Japan, they are ridiculously low right now.
You're probably correct. As I recall, Subaru's STi performance division does price its parts in yen. Can you nominate any specific, reputable, outlet which offers to sell the parts in the STi catalog, and which accepts a US credit card, and charges reasonable shipping to the US?
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #23
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
Or they can partition features such as EyeSight/Push-to-Start into separate package deals (at purchase) and generate more profit to compensate for the falling yen.
Here's a clue, genius. The more the yen falls, the more profit FHI reports on every $ of sales in the US, even if the $ revenue remains constant.
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #24
dopamine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235461
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Cooters View Post
Here's a clue, genius. The more the yen falls, the more profit FHI reports on every $ of sales in the US.

**** off. Google.com


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
dopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #25
I Like Cooters
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
**** off. Google.com


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Jeez. Your response is so pithy and profound, I'm left speechless.
I Like Cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.