Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Boogaloo Shrimp
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)

Member#: 315215
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default 2012 WRX Magnaflow review and dB reading

Car: 2012 WRX sedan
Exhaust: Magnaflow 3" (15472)
dB meter: dB Meter Pro on an iPhone 4s

First off... I'm not posting any videos with the sound because there's plenty on youtube and they are all worthless. Second, I realize an iPhone app isn't an official tool for measuring sound, but it's close enough.

I'm posting this to help give another perspective of the exhaust, opposed to all the harsh reviews it has.
As far looks go, it's great and exactly what you see in photos.

As far as sound goes (and this where there's so many bad reviews). At Idle it's very quiet and compared to my friends 2012 sedan with an SPT, the idle tone is QUIETER than the SPT. At WOT, the exhaust is pretty close to the sound level as the SPT. During regular driving it seems this magna flow is noticeably louder than the SPT. In all I feel that the magna flow has a very good sound, with a very deep note, and is by no means too loud.

I wanted to get a rough idea for everyone out there of how loud the exhaust is and whether it is technically street legal, so I did the dB test.

**IMPORTANT**
In addition to having a proper measuring device, it's absolutely important that the test is done properly or else the numbers don't mean much. A test must be done at least 25ft away from any buildings. The microphone needs to be at exhaust height and 20in away from the exhaust tip. In addition, it should be placed at a 45 degree angle from the opening of the exhaust tip. once the device is set in place, the car needs to be held for a moment at 75% of its maximum revs, on a WRX, about 4500 rpms.

The maximum dB reading I got during the test was 88dB.

I know the iPhone isn't 100% accurate but the legal limit is 95db, and I'm sure the phone wouldn't be off by nearly 10db. By using an iPhone as a testing device, it gives everyone out there an easy option to compare their exhaust to the magna flow, in case they were considering it and are worried about the sound level, considering everyone either has one or knows someone that does, and the app is only $0.99.

ok bye
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Boogaloo Shrimp; 06-06-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
RyanBSubie
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 289260
Vehicle:
12 STI
Pearl White

Have a magnaflow on my 2012 sti, not loud enough but has a good tone, wich i got the q300
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
wrxblk02
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (5)

Member#: 115303
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

every other thread but this one talks about how loud the magnaflow catback is. I just installed this catback last weekend, and let me say it is not too loud by any means. I actually think it sounds and looks great esp for the price. with a downpipe it will probably sound decently loud but probably will not even be too loud.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
IMPORTIMAGE
NASIOC Storefront Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (611)

Member#: 79304
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
CALL 941-257-9618
www.ImportImageRacing.com

q300 is awesome and all, but the magnaflow is definitely a great value, nice write up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Open Daily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#1-941-257-9618 AIM= importimagerace

Best Deals on
!!! WE BEAT ALL PRICE QUOTES!!!!!

<>
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
bearebel
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 306688
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Cobb Stage2
Dark Grey

Good review , is there any drone on the Highway ....
Old 09-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
FirstWrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 284998
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
Grey

Any low end torque loss VS stock with this exhaust?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru

Member#: 110783
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWrex View Post
Any low end torque loss VS stock with this exhaust?
You're not going to lose any low end torque on a turbo car with a catback.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
FirstWrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 284998
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold

You're not going to lose any low end torque on a turbo car with a catback.
While you are in boost, I agree 100%. If you are not boosting, your car is running like a NA car and lose torque without back pressure needed in an NA car. Usually this is at low rpm's with our cars. This has been confirmed via an email I have from Eric from Torqued Performance. Most would agree that he is a knowledgable tuner and I can forward his email to if you'd like.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru

Member#: 110783
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWrex View Post
While you are in boost, I agree 100%. If you are not boosting, your car is running like a NA car and lose torque without back pressure needed in an NA car. Usually this is at low rpm's with our cars. This has been confirmed via an email I have from Eric from Torqued Performance. Most would agree that he is a knowledgable tuner and I can forward his email to if you'd like.
Sure, PM it to me.
Closed Thread