Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #676
ocdpvw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282232
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Vehicle:
2012 TP Stage 2
Bagged SWP

Default

I'm so happy to see you shaved that stupid license plate bit. If I ever need bodywork, it'll be the first thing to go for sure!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ocdpvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #677
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2009 CTSV 6MT 750whp
Black Raven

Default

Yep...finally got rid of the hideous license plate mount.

The Scanspeak Discovery 10F 4" drivers just came in. The new front stage is set.

rsutton1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #678
new_to_drift
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316071
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit, MI
Vehicle:
13 WRB BRZ

Default

Hey i had a question about the Whiteline Steering Rack Bushing, is the noise and vibration really noticable? Id love to install these but i'm just wondering if it makes road noise bad and annoying.
new_to_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #679
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2009 CTSV 6MT 750whp
Black Raven

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_drift View Post
Hey i had a question about the Whiteline Steering Rack Bushing, is the noise and vibration really noticable? Id love to install these but i'm just wondering if it makes road noise bad and annoying.
I didn't notice any increase in noise and I don't get any vibration on mine.
rsutton1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #680
thatsilverwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 307725
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Nice job on the shave, I'll be having mine done when I get the crack on my bumper repaired. Can't wait to see the color though!
thatsilverwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #681
HuckFinn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 298502
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Love your car. Just curious about your thoughts on powder coating the calipers vs. painting them. Yours looked nice when you sprayed them and VHT caliper paint is has a higher heat rating then most powder. I've got a set of Brembos off a 2008 STI that I'm going to put on my 2011 WRX and I'm trying to decide if I should paint them or get them powder coated.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #682
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2009 CTSV 6MT 750whp
Black Raven

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckFinn View Post
Love your car. Just curious about your thoughts on powder coating the calipers vs. painting them. Yours looked nice when you sprayed them and VHT caliper paint is has a higher heat rating then most powder. I've got a set of Brembos off a 2008 STI that I'm going to put on my 2011 WRX and I'm trying to decide if I should paint them or get them powder coated.
It is more about the process than it is about the material itself.

Quote:
Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such as household appliances, aluminium extrusions, and automobile and bicycle parts. Newer technologies allow other materials, such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard), to be powder coated using different methods.
The caliper paint has a high temp rating but ends up bubbling off under high heat. You still have the chance of discoloring powdercoat but that blistering off doesn't happen as easily. It is also a harder coat than paint.

If you are not tracking the car and only street driving (even mountain runs)...the paint is usually fine. Mine was great until I went to a track with a lot of braking zones. Then it looked terrible.

Last edited by rsutton1223; 02-02-2013 at 06:39 PM.
rsutton1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #683
Dr Oppopuss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312599
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: In my WRX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Hey rsutton,

You're car is unbelievable. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how amazing it is. I've taken a lot of inspiration from it.

Here's my question for you: Do you regret starting with the WRX? I'm currently having a crisis whether or not to mod my WRX to my liking or simply save up and trade it for an STi hatch, but I find it impossible to justify paying 40k for a subaru.

Thanks in advance!
Dr Oppopuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #684
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2009 CTSV 6MT 750whp
Black Raven

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Oppopuss View Post
Hey rsutton,

You're car is unbelievable. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how amazing it is. I've taken a lot of inspiration from it.

Here's my question for you: Do you regret starting with the WRX? I'm currently having a crisis whether or not to mod my WRX to my liking or simply save up and trade it for an STi hatch, but I find it impossible to justify paying 40k for a subaru.

Thanks in advance!
None at all. I took the money I saved and modded the car with it. There hasn't been one aspect of the WRX that has held me back at all. Most of what I would have paid extra for with the STI I was going to replace anyway. The only thing I would have gained was the 6 speed and I can get one of those for less than 8 grand for sure if I need it.
rsutton1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #685
Dr Oppopuss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312599
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: In my WRX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
None at all. I took the money I saved and modded the car with it. There hasn't been one aspect of the WRX that has held me back at all. Most of what I would have paid extra for with the STI I was going to replace anyway. The only thing I would have gained was the 6 speed and I can get one of those for less than 8 grand for sure if I need it.
Awesome, thanks for the response. I guess I should stop worrying about it and just build the car I want with the car I have!
Dr Oppopuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #686
HuckFinn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 298502
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
If you are not tracking the car and only street driving (even mountain runs)...the paint is usually fine. Mine was great until I went to a track with a lot of braking zones. Then it looked terrible.
That's the thing; I will be tracking the car and the local track is tough on brakes as well. Makes the decision a bit harder because of the massive heat issues. I'm familiar with PC and it is great stuff. I spent a summer working in a PC shop in high school and got the wonderful job of taking the racks out of the ovens. Going into a giant oven when its over 90 outside is the definition of "no fun".

The FAQ on www.thepowdercoater.com says their PC is only rated to 250 - 300 degrees. I'd hate to spend the money and have have the coating look like a mess after a few track days. I was planning to get black, so I suppose discoloring would be less of an issue. That being said, if you used VHT and it bubbled off your calipers after tracking the car, I suppose that isn't really an option. So powder coat it is.

Edit: Actually, I got you mixed up with someone else. Looks like you used a different brand of paint with a lower heat rating. VHT caliper paint is rated to 900 degrees F, which is only about 200 degrees from the melting point of aluminum, so I don't think the calipers can get that hot. I might give that paint a go first and see how it holds up. Worst case, I'm only out the price of a few cans of paint if I end up having issues and get the calipers powder coated. I'll be interested to see how yours hold up after a few track days.

Last edited by HuckFinn; 02-02-2013 at 07:54 PM.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #687
mkvaron
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326317
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
Calipers are back from thepowdercoater.com.

What color is that? It looks flat silverish haha. I can't wait to see them with the new color of the car!!

Last edited by mkvaron; 02-02-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: of the car
mkvaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #688
Cruz5350
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260061
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: IL
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
OBP

Default

Looks sick I'm glad they split them for the powder coating makes for a much cleaner finished product. I read once somewhere about them not being the same after being split which is why I brought it up to you before. Not sure how true it is because I was looking at picking up a set and being used they need to be re powder coated and always wondered if I would ever run into problems after that while on the track.
Cruz5350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #689
OxCitywrx09
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 216362
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Ox City
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
DGM

Default

I have been reading up on the wrx to Sti brembo upgrade. Some say that one will suffer from pad knockback since the wrx knuckles/ hub isn't built for that kind of braking system. Have you experienced any issues when you upgraded to the brembos?

I guess the 4/2 pot is an easier brake upgrade, but there is a lot more used Sti brakes that come up for sale. How do you like them at the track &/or during hard braking. Have there been instances where you had to pump the brakes to stop ?
OxCitywrx09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #690
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2009 CTSV 6MT 750whp
Black Raven

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz5350 View Post
Looks sick I'm glad they split them for the powder coating makes for a much cleaner finished product. I read once somewhere about them not being the same after being split which is why I brought it up to you before. Not sure how true it is because I was looking at picking up a set and being used they need to be re powder coated and always wondered if I would ever run into problems after that while on the track.
Just replace the seal that is in between the halves and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxCitywrx09 View Post
I have been reading up on the wrx to Sti brembo upgrade. Some say that one will suffer from pad knockback since the wrx knuckles/ hub isn't built for that kind of braking system. Have you experienced any issues when you upgraded to the brembos?
Where did you hear that? I haven't seen one brake upgrade ever do that and I go to the track a lot with my car and friends. Our cars can handle full StopTech, Willwood and other stronger brake upgrades with no issue. It sounds like someone either doesn't know how to setup their braking system or doesn't know how to actually feel what is going on with the car.

Quote:
I guess the 4/2 pot is an easier brake upgrade, but there is a lot more used Sti brakes that come up for sale. How do you like them at the track &/or during hard braking. Have there been instances where you had to pump the brakes to stop ?
None. The Brembo's are very capable on track.
rsutton1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #691
Disrupter
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 138544
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Vehicle:
1993 3000GT VR-4

Default

Very Nice!
Disrupter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #692
evilspoons
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321311
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Vehicle:
2012 STi 5-door
World Rally Blue

Default

The car looks fantastic, excited to see what you're doing with the paint.

I love your interior but I don't think I could ever invest this much in a car (money or emotion) because if it got wrecked I'd be in serious trouble, lol.

I have a couple questions for you:

1. What do you think of the Greddy SP Elite exhaust vs. the stock STi one? Is it a big enough difference to justify spending the money? I know you said your car started with the SPT exhaust, but I'm assuming you've been around one or two stock STis with all that work. I kinda think my STi sounds like a tractor right now so I'm hoping the GReddy will be the upgrade I'm looking for.

2. Do you have a build thread or just extra raw pictures on all your audio upgrades? I like to plan out everything I do well in advance so any extra tips for audio install will be a huge plus for me. I'm just running a 5-channel amplifier, some front components, and a sub, but any extra reference material is hugely useful for me.

FWIW, I went with Focal stuff for the components and subwoofer, JL Audio for the class-D amp, and I need to order myself an Audio Integrations sub box right away. I'm using a Pioneer X930BT head unit like you, mine is the X9310BT that comes with Canadian Sport-Tech STis. Have you upgraded your X930BT to the X940BT firmware? It's a $150 SD card you buy from Pioneer. New maps and some Android device functions, apparently.
evilspoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #693
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2009 CTSV 6MT 750whp
Black Raven

Default

Another visit from UPS today.



Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspoons View Post
The car looks fantastic, excited to see what you're doing with the paint.

I love your interior but I don't think I could ever invest this much in a car (money or emotion) because if it got wrecked I'd be in serious trouble, lol.

I have a couple questions for you:

1. What do you think of the Greddy SP Elite exhaust vs. the stock STi one? Is it a big enough difference to justify spending the money? I know you said your car started with the SPT exhaust, but I'm assuming you've been around one or two stock STis with all that work. I kinda think my STi sounds like a tractor right now so I'm hoping the GReddy will be the upgrade I'm looking for.
Worlds difference. No more power (which is true of all of our exhausts), but the fit, finish, appearance and sound are so much better. Just pricey.

Quote:
2. Do you have a build thread or just extra raw pictures on all your audio upgrades? I like to plan out everything I do well in advance so any extra tips for audio install will be a huge plus for me. I'm just running a 5-channel amplifier, some front components, and a sub, but any extra reference material is hugely useful for me.

FWIW, I went with Focal stuff for the components and subwoofer, JL Audio for the class-D amp, and I need to order myself an Audio Integrations sub box right away. I'm using a Pioneer X930BT head unit like you, mine is the X9310BT that comes with Canadian Sport-Tech STis. Have you upgraded your X930BT to the X940BT firmware? It's a $150 SD card you buy from Pioneer. New maps and some Android device functions, apparently.
I have an audio build thread here --> http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...tch-build.html

I am upgrading the firmware when the car gets back. It opens up the AppRadio features which can be pretty cool.
rsutton1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #694
thildwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303531
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Redding, Northern California
Vehicle:
12 Subaru WRX
White

Default

Looks like you leaked out the paint color!...
thildwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #695
Southtown57
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330761
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Vehicle:
13' STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thildwrx View Post
Looks like you leaked out the paint color!...
haha yep
Southtown57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #696
rsutton1223
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280744
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Vehicle:
2009 CTSV 6MT 750whp
Black Raven

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thildwrx View Post
Looks like you leaked out the paint color!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown57 View Post
haha yep
I'm not as good as xluben at keeping secrets. Everyone will see it this week anyway.
rsutton1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #697
Southtown57
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330761
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Vehicle:
13' STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
I'm not as good as xluben at keeping secrets. Everyone will see it this week anyway.
gonna look great
Southtown57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #698
Tahoescoob
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Incline Village, NV
Vehicle:
2013 DXO
ISM

Default

subed. awesome build. a lot of inspiration.
Tahoescoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #699
ixwrxxi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334215
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

let see some pictures of the paint job. =D
ixwrxxi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #700
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Always wondered about your speakers from the wreck. Actually, that was the first thing I thought of. Looks like your new system is going to be even more badass. Love Hertz speakers. Got some waiting to go into the girls WRX soon!
fancyfootwork15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TopSpeed - 2011 Sti - 11.3@124.5mph - Stock tmic, Dom 1.5, E85 TopSpeed Proven Power Bragging 60 10-18-2014 03:02 AM
Blouch Dom 1.5 CobbsSTI Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 0 12-21-2011 03:54 AM
2011 WRX Hatch - Rear Wiper Intermittent Setting No Longer Works xluben Newbies & FAQs 3 04-24-2011 11:18 PM
FS - Blouch Dom 3 Turbo - Brand New!! dcheyne55 SWIC Private Classifieds 5 06-02-2008 06:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.