Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
GRoss
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 370753
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0i-L
Metallic Silver

Question Interior sound deadening

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has done any sort of sound deadening in your Imprezas? I've been driving in my car for a while now quite happily, but recently drove in a few other cars (old and cheap) and was REALLY surprised on how much quieter they were. I just assume that Subaru is trying to save $$ on sound deadening..

Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
GRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Rememo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 340728
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5-spd

A few of us have. I did all four doors. Others have also done the wheel wells and trunk/hatch floor. I had planned on doing the entire floor, but I'm not sticking another dime into this car, since I'll be getting rid of it as soon as possible.

I think you would have to do the doors and the floor to get a decent amount of noise reduction. The firewall area also lets a lot of noise through, but that would require a lot of work to sound proof.
Rememo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
CalTech87
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348055
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza
Ice Silver Metallic

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2554256

Check out that thread. Can't remember if he took measurements of sound levels or not, but it gives you an idea the amount of work involved.

I started with my front doors to support the Hertz speakers I have in there, helped A LOT. Eventually did the entire floor/hatch area just as the mentioned thread. This part of the deadening also helped more than I thought I would to be honest.

I still await the day when I need new tires though since it seems most people say the stock yokos are simply loud. I think after new tires with the deadening, it will be great.

Worth the work though? I'm not entirely sure. Was laborious as a MFer.
CalTech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
GRoss
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 370753
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0i-L
Metallic Silver

Thanks for the replies guys!

The road and wind noise doesn't really bother me much - I was thinking more along the lines of adding extra sound deadening in between the engine and the cabin (firewall area). Would that need most of the interior plastics at the front removed you recon?
GRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
CalTech87
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Impreza
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRoss View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

The road and wind noise doesn't really bother me much - I was thinking more along the lines of adding extra sound deadening in between the engine and the cabin (firewall area). Would that need most of the interior plastics at the front removed you recon?
I think I read somewhere about heat issues up by the firewall, but yes the entire dash would probably have to come out if not simply to make things easier.

Read www.sounddeadenershowdown.com!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Slacktron
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 339342
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Silver

I've been wondering about this... when I upgraded my speakers I deadened the area around/behind the woofers, but I didn't do the rest of the door because the plastic covering was in the way. Is this needed? I could probably try to cover up all of the holes with dynamat but I'm not sure if it would be as water resistant.
Slacktron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
CalTech87
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Impreza
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacktron View Post
I've been wondering about this... when I upgraded my speakers I deadened the area around/behind the woofers, but I didn't do the rest of the door because the plastic covering was in the way. Is this needed? I could probably try to cover up all of the holes with dynamat but I'm not sure if it would be as water resistant.
Check post #20601 for what my door looks like.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...6#post41386736

Again, Sound Deadener Showdown, research. To whatever extent you pelase.

There are CLD tiles which kill the vibration of the door. My woofers play down to 40hz but I have them crossed at 50hz. Without the tiles, the door vibrated quite a bit.

To really get some improved sound there are many methods, but what youll see in the picture on that thread is mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam glued together and held in the top corners by velcro. I used a foam baffle to help seal the speaker itself and prevent and water that may get into the door from dropping onto the backside.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
awcforever
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382066
Vehicle:
96 Subaru
Green

Noob here-- I did my entire Duramax truck interior with 6"-8" roofing tape (peel n stik). It worked great, I could probably afford Dynamat now, but way back when I was setting up systems for guys and just getting by check to check I used the tape as a low budget alternative but it worked so well I never tried the actual stuff.

I just picked up my first Suby so I have noticed the lack of deadening especially with an older model like mine. The metal is REALLY thin....the car had a small dent on the drivers rear quarter panel near the tail light, no creases or missing paint, but like a butt cheek sized indention(lol). I literally kicked the interior sub frame from the trunk side out and it looked good as new. I was happy initially, but afterwards I was like holy moly. You could destroy this car with your bare hands!
awcforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
winglik
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 317022
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

I added deadening to both the front doors. It makes the door much solid and it decreased the sound/vibration a bit. but I found out that most the noise is from the tires. the stock tires are extreme noise. You can tell the different by driving at a smooth and rough road. So I guess changing the tires is a better solution to fix the noise issue.
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote