Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 21, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Old 03-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 430689
Default Fuel issues: P0453, car won't take fuel, smells of gas, hard starting

Hey Everyone,

I own a 99 USDM 2.2/5mt Impreza Wagon. I've been fixing it up slowly but these fuel related problems have always eluded me. Ever since the beginning of my ownership, I've experienced the following issues:

- Strong gas smell inside and outside the car on warm days
- Hard starting on the first start after filling up the tank
- Rough idle for a little while after filling up the tank
- Loss of power / hesitation when warming up
- Rush of air when removing the gas cap

- After replacing the rusty (but intact) fuel filler neck with a brand new OEM one, the pump now clicks off unless I put the gas in veeerrrryy slloowwwwlyyy. It didn't fix any of my existing problems. The P0453 showed up several months afterward.

- I've also replaced the fuel filter. Again, absolutely no difference.

- Replaced the fuel filler cap with a new one, no difference.

- Tried blowing compressed air through the filler neck vent lines, also made no difference.

I've skirted around these problems so far and I can still drive the car, but I dread spending 15 minutes filling up every time, and I hate having to tell passengers to roll down the window when there's gas fumes.

My own research has come up inconclusive and I can't afford to just throw money at it replacing parts on the off-chance that they might fix the problem. Does anyone have experience with what could be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated, and if you need more information, feel free to ask.

lobsterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 446137

99% sure it is your purge control valve. Had the same issue with my 04 outback sport. Change it today, got gas, problem fixed. Took 5 minutes.
Gip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 443873

P0453 on 2 different 200,000 mile 2002 civics turned off with purge control valve replacements. One broke the charcoal canister it was attached to, but was repaired with 2 part plastic epoxy. I did not have all the other problems that your car shows. Some of those may need more help.
You might be in Maine,, it is very possible that the gas tank is leaking. Get it all "sniffed" for the leaks with an exhaust analyzer. I have had rusted tanks in NY, Also carry brake fluid with you , PS fluid, I have had these lines rust out, also oil pans.
If the tank is bad that might throw the P0453. Good luck!
becurious is offline   Reply With Quote