Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Chukjagr
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 314419
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Blue

Default Grim speed up pipe issue?

I'm reposting this from the Newbie section, I realized it was the wrong area. I just purchased a Grimmspeed uppipe. All was good until I looked inside the pipe where the flex portion is. The upper tube extended into the flex pipe about 2 inches and was pressed against the flex portion of the tube. The other side of the tube would just be sitting out in the exhaust flow, about 1/8" to 3/16" from the wall. Here are some pics, but they aren't the best: and
Is this normal or a fluke? I called and sent pics to the place I bought it from and they said it was ok, but after 12 years of working on cars professionally, I think its not. Thoughts?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Chukjagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (209)

Member#: 136396
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
SWP

Looks like the angle it was welded at is incorrect. . Generally there is going to be some gap there but in your pic it looks like it is a 1/4" or something. Hit me up on PM with your info.

Justin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| AIM: GrimmSpd | Phone: 612-379-0000
Email:

|

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; 07-31-2012 at 12:52 PM.
GrimmSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Chukjagr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Blue

PM sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Looks like the angle it was welded at is incorrect. You are correct, that would definitely impede flow. No problem on replacing it. Hit me up on PM with your info.

Justin
Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Chukjagr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Blue

A big thumbs up to Justin, Matt, and the rest of the gang at Grimmspeed! Great customer service, issue is resolved! Also purchased the hardware from them that I've been scouring the net for as an added bonus!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
RavingLunatic
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)

Member#: 76673
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STi
Crystal Grey Metallic

Perfect example of a responsible company! I have an issue also so I will send you a PM.
RavingLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Blktrax
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 220971
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 209K Mi.
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd.

Well now that doesn't seem to be what I was told.

Copy of Email sent and recived.

Hello Blktrax,
Both of these things should not cause any issues. When you install a gasket the area will get mostly filled and there will be no leaking. As for the tube extending into the flex, that should not cause any significant turbulence.

Thank you and please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.
--
Taras Tarlov
Customer Service & Purchasing
GrimmSpeed
612-379-0000
AIM: tarasgrimmspeed
taras@grimmspeed.com
www.grimmspeed.com

On 1/6/2012 7:13 AM, Blktrax wrote:
I received Ceramic up-pipe (p/n : 003002) yesterday and am excited to install it. However I have 2 questions just to verify this is ok to install.

First : The lower header flange has 2 low spots one about the size of a dime and the other 9mm wide but very near the gasket sealing surface.

Second: The internal part of the flex pipe, there is approx 25-30mm of pipe extending past the weld line on the turbo side of the flex joint. It would seem this lip inside the flex would rub and cause a significant amount of turbulence due to the gap around the pipe end. However not having installed one of these before I wanted to make sure this is how the pipe is designed.

Attached pictures.

You can call or email reply anytime.

Thank you,

[/indent]

Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
socalflat4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330562
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Unhappy

Just received my Grimmspeed up pipe today and had encountered a similar issue as well. They make a very solid product otherwise and am waiting to hear from them when they re-open Monday. My previous order along with this one was conducted very professionally along with phone calls regarding back order up dates and shipments.

Last edited by socalflat4; 09-15-2012 at 10:11 PM.
socalflat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Blktrax
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 220971
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 209K Mi.
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd.

Grimmspeed is awesome, I got mine swapped out back in the beginning of Aug. super easy to deal with. They earned my future business.

I talked to Matt Holmes, he took care of everything no problems.

Last edited by Blktrax; 09-16-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
socalflat4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330562
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Talking

Matt @ Grimmspeed got in contact with me first thing this morning, all taken care of! Amazing customer service, will definately be ordering from them again.
socalflat4 is offline   Reply With Quote