Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
bmxhotsauce
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127099
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
02 IMPERZA WRX
BLACK

Default

bad ass man...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bmxhotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
JDMSTA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310615
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA area
Vehicle:
1213 12'Sport+13'STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

The same issues happened to me when I did a retrofit for my bro-in-law's 02' WRX. You just have to make sure the pin out on the connector is correct and the issues went away and everything should work correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyConway View Post
Just did my retro fit in my 02 last night, but having same issues with my high beams not wanting to work, I'll have to try repining the harness. Also my high beam indicator is like halfway lit up on my gauge cluster, after you repined the harness, did the high beam indicator function correctly? Thanks
Also used the same projectors, very easy install!
JDMSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyConway View Post
Just did my retro fit in my 02 last night, but having same issues with my high beams not wanting to work, I'll have to try repining the harness. Also my high beam indicator is like halfway lit up on my gauge cluster, after you repined the harness, did the high beam indicator function correctly? Thanks
Also used the same projectors, very easy install!
Check with a multimeter what pins out of the harness generate an output for each of your oem headlight stalk setting (off, low, high, flash-to-pass):


This is what I ended up with on this old version of the TRS harness:


If you don't want to risk blowing any of the car fuse, test the oem headlight (either left or right headlight) for which pins generate an output at the different oem stalk setting. Make a note of that, and then feed the input of the harness with 12V from a PC power supply, and test which harness pins combine to generate an output at each input combination. Make a note of that, and then test the ballast+HID capsule separately with the PC power supply. Same thing with the solenoids. Now you know which one isn't working properly, and where the pins of each stage should be connected to the next, without worrying about blowing a fuse. Shorting a circuit while connected to the PC power supply will just temporarily shut the power supply down. Wait 10 seconds, and the power supply will come back to life as if nothing happened; pretty bullet proof.
satrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #29
svxninja
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279510
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Plymouth,MN
Vehicle:
02 Wrx
PSM

Default

and how come i dont see a lot of people not painting the shouds if they have the reflector bowl and everything else painted
svxninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #30
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrya View Post
Check with a multimeter what pins out of the harness generate an output for each of your oem headlight stalk setting (off, low, high, flash-to-pass):


This is what I ended up with on this old version of the TRS harness:


If you don't want to risk blowing any of the car fuse, test the oem headlight (either left or right headlight) for which pins generate an output at the different oem stalk setting. Make a note of that, and then feed the input of the harness with 12V from a PC power supply, and test which harness pins combine to generate an output at each input combination. Make a note of that, and then test the ballast+HID capsule separately with the PC power supply. Same thing with the solenoids. Now you know which one isn't working properly, and where the pins of each stage should be connected to the next, without worrying about blowing a fuse. Shorting a circuit while connected to the PC power supply will just temporarily shut the power supply down. Wait 10 seconds, and the power supply will come back to life as if nothing happened; pretty bullet proof.

Thank you, i will try it again tonight when I get off work! sucks not having internet at home and being able to have access to go info and people like yourself!
TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #31
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxninja View Post
I just got my kit in the mail but will probably do the retrofit next weekend. Do you have any advise while im doing this that you ran into? Was aiming the projectors hard?

if you bought the same projectors and follow his advice, they mount and aim very easily, literally in seconds. Beats the first retro i did with fxr's back 3 or so yrs ago in a civic.
Also I didn't take my reflector bowl out, I left it in the headlight, I just used an angle head die grinder with 36 grit 3" roll off disk, held it level, took a few minutes and enough material was removed from the reflector bowl to allow the projector to have enough threads showing to mount and install the bulb.
I opted to do this b/c i didn't want to have to realign the headlights. Seemed to work, now just gotta get my hi to low beams to function correctly.
TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #32
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyConway View Post
Thank you, i will try it again tonight when I get off work! sucks not having internet at home and being able to have access to go info and people like yourself!
Good luck. I learnt a lot from many threads in HIDP; there were so many unresolved "high beams not working" threads on 9007 wiring with switched ground (like the bugeye).
satrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #33
svxninja
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279510
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Plymouth,MN
Vehicle:
02 Wrx
PSM

Default

Ya but i thought that the harnesses were suppose to be fixed or am I wrong about that?
I just hope i dont have the headache with the high beam problem. Also where did you guys ground to?
svxninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxninja View Post
Ya but i thought that the harnesses were suppose to be fixed or am I wrong about that?
I just hope i dont have the headache with the high beam problem. Also where did you guys ground to?
Whose harness? From TRS? Their current 9007/9004 harness is 2 generations newer from the picture I shown, and the circuit might be able to deal with both switched ground and switched "positive", but it is still a dual 9007/9004 harness. 9007 and 9004 have different pin assignments.

Ground is any convenient ground you can find. I connect it to the battery for minimal loss, but you could probably find any chassis grounding point and only lose a little voltage drop.
satrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #35
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

Got mine working last night.... Also after repining the plug, notice that the pins are loose, I had a bad connection at first but as soon as i fixed that, everything works fine. Also my friends dodge dakota has the same hid kit and same style plug, his high beam indicator is on with low beams, swapped some wires and we fixed his last night as well! Good info on here. Thanks
TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
svxninja
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279510
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Plymouth,MN
Vehicle:
02 Wrx
PSM

Default

would you be able to show us the picture of the right pinning or is it like the one on the first page. Because no offense that hand written diagram is very hard to see.
svxninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #37
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

Yea it will be saturday before i can post it, thats the next day im back at work to have internet access.
TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #39
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

above pic, is how i wired mine in my 02 wrx, works perfectly!
TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #40
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

also someone asked where to mount the ballast box, i mounted mine under the headlights on the bumper mounts, tucks in nice and neat.
TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #41
svxninja
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279510
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Plymouth,MN
Vehicle:
02 Wrx
PSM

Default

how do you repin the blue connector? do you just twist the pins and then push, i just dont want to break them and i have no instructions. also did your ground to the bump beam or something or the radiator support?
svxninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #42
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

The pins are held to the plastic connector by a small part of the pin that forms something like an arrowhead. During the install, the arrowhead folds flush with the pin, and then opens up once it clears. From the business end of the connector opening, you should be able to see this arrowhead/flap. Use a long tweezer to push it down, at the same time push the pin back. It should slide out without resistance.

Get a good ground, as long as the connection is clean. I prefer to connect the ground to the battery.
satrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #43
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

also i found out when i De-pinned the connector, the clip on the metal bend would bend down, take a small flat head screw driver and bend it back up slightly so it will lock back in the plastic plug when you pin it correctly. If not the wires will just fall right back out of the plug.
TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #44
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #45
nolant
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 124118
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon
MBP

Default

Haven't checked this thread in a while...


Quote:
Originally Posted by svxninja View Post
I just got my kit in the mail but will probably do the retrofit next weekend. Do you have any advise while im doing this that you ran into? Was aiming the projectors hard?
Really, the hardest part was taking apart the headlights and reflector bowls. There's a lot of steps, but nothing's too difficult. Aiming procedures are very straightforward and aren't specific to the WRX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxhotsauce View Post
bad ass man...
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxninja View Post
and how come i dont see a lot of people not painting the shouds if they have the reflector bowl and everything else painted
Most people, like myself, apparently like the contrast between mostly black, but some silver/chrome/etc... Some people completely black out everything, including the shrouds. It's personal taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrya View Post
Whose harness? From TRS? Their current 9007/9004 harness is 2 generations newer from the picture I shown, and the circuit might be able to deal with both switched ground and switched "positive", but it is still a dual 9007/9004 harness. 9007 and 9004 have different pin assignments.

Ground is any convenient ground you can find. I connect it to the battery for minimal loss, but you could probably find any chassis grounding point and only lose a little voltage drop.
At the time, I had the most current harness, which still the most current one they offer. I still had to re-pin to get the high beams working right. (See my explanation in the DIY above).

There are several chassis grounds to pick from.
nolant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #46
nolant
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 124118
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyConway View Post
Nice work. Looks good.
nolant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #47
TyConway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193189
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: alabama
Vehicle:
2002 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolant View Post
Nice work. Looks good.

Thank you
TyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #48
svxninja
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279510
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Plymouth,MN
Vehicle:
02 Wrx
PSM

Default

I just hope that I get the harness right otherwise it will be a pain in the ass.Looks like there is a different kinds of colors so no one really know which one goes where
svxninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #49
svxninja
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279510
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Plymouth,MN
Vehicle:
02 Wrx
PSM

Default

because from left of right i have white blue brown/ red
svxninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #50
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxninja View Post
because from left of right i have white blue brown/ red
It's most likely the repinning required from 9004 to 9007; whatever color it may be:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ring-Schematic
satrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone install MORIMOTO MINI H1 4.1 in their bug eye housings? hella_sti Electrical & Lighting 12 06-19-2012 03:18 PM
Installed My Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors Ryguy32789 Electrical & Lighting 37 01-15-2012 11:45 AM
FS SOCAL: 04-05 HID Projector Retrofits & JDM HID fog retrofits BiggSean Exterior/Styling 6 10-13-2009 09:32 PM
hid projector retrofit into bugeye scarsofterror Interior & Exterior Modification 27 01-05-2007 03:49 PM
HID Projector retrofit CalcVictim Interior & Exterior Modification 2 03-08-2005 10:53 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.