Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280543

So I was wondering if it really is necessary to port the WG to run stage 2 on a 09+ wrx (vf-52 turbo). I spoke with one of the Cobb reps at the Subaru summer solstice this weekend who advised me that whenever you add a DP to an 09+ wrx it will boost creep whether it's catted or not. Now reading the map notes, no where did I see that porting the WG was necessary. Cobb please clarify what's the deal with 09+ wrx's and over boosting?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Subiezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiezilla View Post
So I was wondering if it really is necessary to port the WG to run stage 2 on a 09+ wrx (vf-52 turbo). I spoke with one of the Cobb reps at the Subaru summer solstice this weekend who advised me that whenever you add a DP to an 09+ wrx it will boost creep whether it's catted or not. Now reading the map notes, no where did I see that porting the WG was necessary. Cobb please clarify what's the deal with 09+ wrx's and over boosting?
That's not true. 99% of the time, you will not see boost creep with a catted downpipe on these cars. A catless downpipe is where you really increase the chances of experiencing untunable boost creep which is why we recommend that you stick with a catted downpipe for stage 2.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning
That's not true. 99% of the time, you will not see boost creep with a catted downpipe on these cars. A catless downpipe is where you really increase the chances of experiencing untunable boost creep which is why we recommend that you stick with a catted downpipe for stage 2.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I was worried since the rep said that they do port jobs on the newer gen wrx's for stage 2 at Cobb Tuning SoCal.
If I decide to do the stage 2 with SF Intake should it be safe without a ported WG?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
bacalhau16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297565
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
Silver

I have not seen many port their wastegate just to run stage two. Atleast not on this forum. Boost creep issues have mostly arised with a catless down pipe and free flowing aftermarket exhaust.
That said, I have a catless dp with my stock exhaust and havent had any issues.
bacalhau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

I should clarify my statement - I talked to one of our calibrators and they've found that in certain areas of the country (such as our SoCal and Surgeline locations), where it is right at sea level with relatively cool temperatures most of the year, boost creep is a more prevalent issue (especially with 09-12 WRXs), even with a catted downpipe. So, the idea of needing to port the wastegate (or go with an EWG), although not extremely common, does come up from time to time, even with a catted stage 2 set-up.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I should clarify my statement - I talked to one of our calibrators and they've found that in certain areas of the country (such as our SoCal and Surgeline locations), where it is right at sea level with relatively cool temperatures most of the year, boost creep is a more prevalent issue (especially with 09-12 WRXs), even with a catted downpipe. So, the idea of needing to port the wastegate (or go with an EWG), although not extremely common, does come up from time to time, even with a catted stage 2 set-up.

Bill
Thanks again Bill really appreciate your feedback
Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie

Quote:

Bill
Thanks again Bill, really appreciate it.