Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
MrMakesitRain
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 168333
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 STi
CGM

Default 2007 STi.. Partial ECU Initiating? Stage 1/2 option?

My car 06 sti. 68xxx miles
Ksai 3in turbo back with one high flow cat
Spt intake and heatshield

I've got 2 questions:

1. I just got my 06 Sti this week. The 2nd day I had it I was cruising at about 50mph around 2800rpm and all of a sudden I threw a cel. I limped it back home staying out of boost. I reset the ecu via disconnecting the neg terminal and it came back after about 2 hours of driving the car.

The next day I limped it to a shop and they read the code. I forget the exact code but it was for something related to the aftermarket dp and flow but the shop said it was nothing serious or detrimental and i could just get it turned off with an Accessport.

The next day I met up to buy a used v1 and it seemed pretty cheap($150). I wanted to make sure it was unmarried before buying it. As soon as i plugged it into my car it asked which map I wanted to flash. All of the maps on there were custom specific ones for the previous owners 06 sti. He said to choose the first one which was pretty close to stage 1. I chose that map and it said "initializing ecu" and then told me to turn the car off and on and when i did that it repeated the "initializing ecu" screen.

I tried it with both the test mode connectors connected and unconnected but it wouldn't get past that screen. I told the guy it might still be married and left. **THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET WEIRD** I drove my car a bit and for some reason it felt like my idle wasn't very stable bogging slightly between 400-500rpms. It drove fine besides the idle. I tried resetting the ecu once more but the idle still seems pretty sketch.

I ordered a new v2 today but here's the question....

Could me trying to flash that map and showing "initializing ecu" have messed up my ecu with a partial flash? It didn't show a loading map screen or anything like that. is it just in my head?

2nd Question: With just the turbo back and spt intake would it be safe to run either the stage 1 or stage 2 OTS map? I'd like to get a custom pro tune but right now it seems to be a bit out of the budget. I live in california and have access to 91 octane.

Thanks in advance for the help!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MrMakesitRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMakesitRain View Post
My car 06 sti. 68xxx miles
Ksai 3in turbo back with one high flow cat
Spt intake and heatshield

I've got 2 questions:

1. I just got my 06 Sti this week. The 2nd day I had it I was cruising at about 50mph around 2800rpm and all of a sudden I threw a cel. I limped it back home staying out of boost. I reset the ecu via disconnecting the neg terminal and it came back after about 2 hours of driving the car.

The next day I limped it to a shop and they read the code. I forget the exact code but it was for something related to the aftermarket dp and flow but the shop said it was nothing serious or detrimental and i could just get it turned off with an Accessport.

The next day I met up to buy a used v1 and it seemed pretty cheap($150). I wanted to make sure it was unmarried before buying it. As soon as i plugged it into my car it asked which map I wanted to flash. All of the maps on there were custom specific ones for the previous owners 06 sti. He said to choose the first one which was pretty close to stage 1. I chose that map and it said "initializing ecu" and then told me to turn the car off and on and when i did that it repeated the "initializing ecu" screen.

I tried it with both the test mode connectors connected and unconnected but it wouldn't get past that screen. I told the guy it might still be married and left. **THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET WEIRD** I drove my car a bit and for some reason it felt like my idle wasn't very stable bogging slightly between 400-500rpms. It drove fine besides the idle. I tried resetting the ecu once more but the idle still seems pretty sketch.

I ordered a new v2 today but here's the question....

Could me trying to flash that map and showing "initializing ecu" have messed up my ecu with a partial flash? It didn't show a loading map screen or anything like that. is it just in my head?

2nd Question: With just the turbo back and spt intake would it be safe to run either the stage 1 or stage 2 OTS map? I'd like to get a custom pro tune but right now it seems to be a bit out of the budget. I live in california and have access to 91 octane.

Thanks in advance for the help!
It sounds like no flashing was taking place. There really isn't such thing as a partial flash - interrupting the process in the middle of the flash would likely cause the ECU to be inoperable and have to be recovered at our main facility.

Likely what happened was that the ECU was reset before the flash attempt took place. Since the idle learning parameters are also reset, this can cause some idle issues on cars where the ECU has learned around an idle issue. Generally, this would clear up in a week or so when the ECU re-learns around it. Regardless, when you get your v2, I would get some data logging done so we can take a look and see how the car runs. Keep in mind, although a Subaru part, we have found that the SPT intake isn't always consistent enough to deliver accurate reported airflow based on the stock MAF calibration. This might be OK at stage 1, but stage 2 and beyond would be something to look at. You can see how fueling is doing by monitoring the A/F Learning 1 A, B, C, D values. After about a week of driving after installing the AccessPORT (without reflashing any maps or resetting the ECU), these numbers should populate accurately enough to see if there is a fueling issue. Should generally be within +/- 5% (and not outside of +/- 8%).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
MrMakesitRain
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 168333
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 STi
CGM

Hey thanks Bill! That gives me a lot more peace of mind to drive my car until the AP arrives. If I load the Stage 1 OTS map and monitor the fueling without any negative values after the relearning would it pretty much be OK to run that map for a little while?
MrMakesitRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMakesitRain View Post
Hey thanks Bill! That gives me a lot more peace of mind to drive my car until the AP arrives. If I load the Stage 1 OTS map and monitor the fueling without any negative values after the relearning would it pretty much be OK to run that map for a little while?
You don't want to run a stage 1 map with stage 2 parts (i.e. aftermarket downpipe). Generally speaking, running the stage 2 map (in your case) and if the long-term fuel trims (after enough driving) are fine, this would be OK, but keep in mind that the A/F Learning values do not tell you what fueling is doing at high load. In open loop (i.e. higher load), AFRs are not monitored (and would not be accurate under appreciable boost anyway) and there is no feedback. The last range ("D") of A/F Learning is applied in open loop but it is only learned at lower load. Only a wideband o2 sensor would tell you, accurately, what fueling looked like in open loop. But, I would at least data log some WOT runs on the stage 2 map to see if there are any issues with knock.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote