Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
05spyvsspy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 360360
Default just performed my first routine maintenance

Ok guys, after a month with my 2005 wrx wagon (56xxx miles)I just did my first oil/oil filter change, a/c and alternator belt change and swapped out the a/c tensioner wheel and backing ring. I used T6 rotella oil with a wix filter, gates belts, and new oem tensioner wheel. Took me a while longer than any other car i have ever worked on but pretty straight forward. Any advice on torque specs for the nuts involved is appreciated as well as any other advice. I noted the passenger front cv boots need replacing as one is torn and the other is halfway there. I bought oem boots and a mechanic at work will be doi g the work considering i am pulling 250 hour work months. Car is running smooth other than a slight vibration past 80 mph. Other than that this car will remain completely stock considering i will own it for the next six years minimum. Any input from previous experience on what to do around this mileage will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
05spyvsspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
WRXFanDave
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 151245
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Silver

Keep an eye on:
Radiator
- look for slow leaks.
- I'm assuming the 05 has plastic top tanks and a metal core like the 06. Eventually this will fail. What do you want to replace it with? Stock? All metal core?

Power steering pump
- look behind and around it for leaks and it may start acting up at some point.
- here's a good thread to read for rebuild or replacement. Remanufactured units from the likes of auto stores have a bad track record.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2127419

typical maintenance stuff... Brakes, wheel bearings, tires whenever they wear out (your car might still be on the factory tires. I know I got over 60k on mine.)

If you haven't already, go to my.subaru.com and check the 60k service items and start planning for that work and parts. Also the e-stores through this portal have good web purchase prices on OEM parts (typically like 25% less than MSRP).

Last edited by WRXFanDave; 08-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.
WRXFanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
05spyvsspy
Scooby Newbie

The previous owner never drove the car much and he babied the hell out of it. He didn't want to sell it but the car was not being used much for the past 3-4 years. So I guess I will get up to date with maintenance and tackle the CV boots on my own.

Any San Antonio guys out there that like to get together and work on cars, share advice, etc?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
05spyvsspy
Scooby Newbie

Any DIY mods recommended to get the most out of my engine and tranny? I have been driving 55-60 mph just to make sure this engine is going to last me forever.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
AZP Installs
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 40160
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

If you haven't done the trans, coolant and diffy fluids and brake flush I would highly recommend it.

Fluids we recommend?

OEM Subaru Long Life Coolant
Motul Gear 300 or Amsoil Severe Gear for Trans/Diffy
Motul RBF600 or ATE Superblue for brake fluid

On the axles if they've been torn for any significant time, I would just replace the whole axle/cv as the internals have probably been compromised.

We can ship you all the fluids you need as well...

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote