Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 24, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
DerekDaniel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254088
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT
silver

Default Dam parameters changing. insight appreciated

Ok so I Have an 08 legacy GT and was having some negative A/F values. Other than that all other parameters were looking fairly well. I think I may have found were the leak was So I adjusted the turbo hose inlet clamp and tightened it down nice and snug.

So I go out to take some logs and the A/F does look like it is or was improving however I started getting alot of knock learning and correction. It was very hot out when those parameters started to increase.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...G96cVZQdGpiVnc

So I took my car out this morning and logged it when it was cooler temps. My A/F is still looking lower than it did before I tightened the clamp as it was at -6.8

Well I noticed in my logs today that My DAM was making adjustments due to all of the knock. It seems like it may have settled back down. The following logs show before during and right after it goes back to 1. Can someone tell me please if I need to be concerned with the DAM changing like this? it is the first time it has done so.

high fine knock just before changes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...W5EX1puX3I0SVE

2nd pull DAM changes begin:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UtPelgzWGRwU1E

3rd pull they DAM changes but then goes back to 1
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0tOUzFQNWgyeVE

Any advice would be greatly appreciated: I know some of ya have been following my A/F post and can see I had no knock until yesterday evening. Is this just a minor blip Ecu making NORMAL adjustments? or not normal?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DerekDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
DerekDaniel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254088
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT
silver

Default

here is the 2nd log about 30 minutes after the DAM went back to 1
I am seeing some more knock correction is this going to cause my DAM to adjust again? I usually saw more knock learning than correction. Why would I see more knock correction now and since it is in the lower rpms need I be concerned? or Should I remove the tune? I am running the most conservative map 91 ACN LWG

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2NhWTdLc21fVVE

Last edited by DerekDaniel; 07-16-2012 at 09:22 AM.
DerekDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

I would try to keep your posts all in one thread - if others want to chime in about your car it is easier to see the history of everything you are posting (including logs) in a single thread.

When the DAM drops (except after a map reflash/reset or disconnected the car's battery), it means that there is enough perceived knock that the ECU decides to re-evaluate the DAM. When everything is normal, you should not see the DAM drop (except when it is reset to a default value for the above mentioned procedures)

As I suggested in the other thread, I would recommend taking your car to a professional. It seems like you have multiple issues here - possible mechanical fueling issue, possible poor fuel quality, etc. In the mean time, you may want to download the "installed stock mode" map and reflash that to your car. That will give you the stock tune and you can see how your car reacts with less boost and less aggressive tune on your local fuel quality.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
DerekDaniel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254088
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT
silver

Default

Yeah thanks I did new post because the subject yet similar was different and the other one was getting rather lengthy.
Well I am taking my car to a tuning shop to have a full pressure test and compression test etc. on weds to see what the heck is going on and if it is mechanical get it fixed!!!, and once they check all out and all is good or fixed imma just get a protune, so then all should be well, I just hope It dont cost more than a grand, I am debating on returning the access port and going opensource.
DerekDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDaniel View Post
Yeah thanks I did new post because the subject yet similar was different and the other one was getting rather lengthy.
Well I am taking my car to a tuning shop to have a full pressure test and compression test etc. on weds to see what the heck is going on and if it is mechanical get it fixed!!!, and once they check all out and all is good or fixed imma just get a protune, so then all should be well, I just hope It dont cost more than a grand, I am debating on returning the access port and going opensource.
I think it is a good idea to have a shop check over the car. The AccessPORT does have several advantages over other solutions. If you are getting a custom dyno tune, the real-time tuning, which allows the tuner to make changes to the major tables with the engine running (even at high load) is more efficient and can potentially allow the tuner to spend more actual time tuning on the car during the session and actually measure how a change impacts power. With other solutions, they have to turn the car off for any tuning change. Even if you are not getting a dyno tune, the AccessPORT has the advantage of allowing you to data log, change maps, completely uninstall it, read trouble codes, do performance tests, etc. all from a self-contained small device that you can keep in your glove box. With other solutions, if you want to do the same, you would have to bring a laptop with you and would have to be using multiple different pieces of software to accomplish the same thing (each of which will require specific and different knowledge to operate and set up). In the end, though, even if you don't decide to stick with our product, I hope you get everything worked out and running well.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
DerekDaniel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254088
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT
silver

Default

Thanks bill Imma keep the Accessport. I hope all goes well tomorrow. I will post results of any mechanical issues found so other people who have similar problems may know where to look, I appreciate the assistance.
DerekDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
DerekDaniel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254088
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT
silver

Default

Ok Got the car checked out no boost/vacuum leaks, compression test done and all cylinders were good. So I basically bought a post MAF hose and turbo inlet for nothing. I also had an EBCS installed for good measure.

The cobb maps for legacy GT is the only thing the tuner said could have been the problem.

Results of the pro-tune: sport# I am hitting 16psi for boost. We would have gone higher but the OEM top mount wasn't cooling efficiently for 17.5psi boost. The car is currently hitting 205.95 HP at the wheels which is like 274 at the crank. I think 30 more HP is pretty good gains for stage one, due to light mods: Perrin turbo inlet, EBCS, and magnaflow cat-back.

Overall I am satisfied with the results, there is very little turbo lag now and the car pulls much harder and the throttle response is amazing. Shifts are even smoother than before. I am getting around 1 psi boost spike at shifts rather than 3-4psi I got from the cobb ots maps and I tried every map they had for my fuel grade including LWG map which did not help as much.

If you have an 08 legacy GT and want to modify your car I suggest that if you own a laptop go buy a tactrix cable download some software go opensource, then get a protune; you will save about $500 dollars. Heck if you do not own a laptop buy a cheap used one for a couple hundred and you would still save a few hundred bones.

Bill I thank you for your assistance during all of this, I am glad that all mechanical issues were ruled out so which also gives me peace of mind. Unfortunately, I think the cobb maps may need a further assessment for the legacy GTs' well at-least the 08 models. This may be due to the lack of info on the internet like the amount of hp and torque limits for safe tuning according to mods. This may also be due to the lack of GTs' compared to wrxs and stis. so therefore less knowledge due to less people tuning them. What ever it is it should be looked into.
DerekDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDaniel View Post
Ok Got the car checked out no boost/vacuum leaks, compression test done and all cylinders were good. So I basically bought a post MAF hose and turbo inlet for nothing. I also had an EBCS installed for good measure.

The cobb maps for legacy GT is the only thing the tuner said could have been the problem.

Results of the pro-tune: sport# I am hitting 16psi for boost. We would have gone higher but the OEM top mount wasn't cooling efficiently for 17.5psi boost. The car is currently hitting 205.95 HP at the wheels which is like 274 at the crank. I think 30 more HP is pretty good gains for stage one, due to light mods: Perrin turbo inlet, EBCS, and magnaflow cat-back.

Overall I am satisfied with the results, there is very little turbo lag now and the car pulls much harder and the throttle response is amazing. Shifts are even smoother than before. I am getting around 1 psi boost spike at shifts rather than 3-4psi I got from the cobb ots maps and I tried every map they had for my fuel grade including LWG map which did not help as much.

If you have an 08 legacy GT and want to modify your car I suggest that if you own a laptop go buy a tactrix cable download some software go opensource, then get a protune; you will save about $500 dollars. Heck if you do not own a laptop buy a cheap used one for a couple hundred and you would still save a few hundred bones.

Bill I thank you for your assistance during all of this, I am glad that all mechanical issues were ruled out so which also gives me peace of mind. Unfortunately, I think the cobb maps may need a further assessment for the legacy GTs' well at-least the 08 models. This may be due to the lack of info on the internet like the amount of hp and torque limits for safe tuning according to mods. This may also be due to the lack of GTs' compared to wrxs and stis. so therefore less knowledge due to less people tuning them. What ever it is it should be looked into.
I'm glad you got it worked out. The problem with OTS maps is that they will not work optimally on every car. Sometimes the local fuel quality is a lot poorer than average and sometimes you just get a car that, compared to average, wants to run different timing/fuel/boost. A custom tune will almost always work better (and see gains) as it is a tune for your car and your fuel. Anyone that tunes cars will tell you that not every car responds exactly the same, even cars that are the identical model/year/mods. That said, we do keep an eye out for repeatable patterns when it comes to our OTS maps, which we use to make decisions about any potential future improvements.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
DerekDaniel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254088
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy GT
silver

Default

Cool thanks, It most likely was crappy kansas fuel, You guys need to make a special kansas map lol. But its all good and I do understand that some cars will run differently do to the multiple variables involved. I will keep an eye out and see how this tune holds up over the next few days.
DerekDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDaniel View Post
Cool thanks, It most likely was crappy kansas fuel, You guys need to make a special kansas map lol. But its all good and I do understand that some cars will run differently do to the multiple variables involved. I will keep an eye out and see how this tune holds up over the next few days.
Sounds good. Have fun!

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.