Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Dealership Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
typeNOyouRnot
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 244944
Vehicle:
2005 WRX

Default Lithia Subaru of Reno will burn you bad

I just had a horrible experience with Lithia Subaru in Reno. I spent all day yesterday on the phone with their sales reps trying to buy a new WRX they have on the lot.
We agreed on a price
They approved me for a loan and emailed me the numbers of the contract They accepted a $1000 non-refundable deposit over the phone on my credit card to hold the car until the following morning (soonest I could make it there)
They told me the car was mine
Gave me a VIN number so I could insure it
I went to my bank and withdrew $7000 for the rest of my down payment
I started driving toward Reno
Then they called me and said "Sorry the car just sold to another customer"
Are these guys F****** Kidding ME ?!!!!!!!
I've never felt so punked in my life.
I called the sales manager there and asked him what happened.
He says "sorry but the customer who was here in person has priority."
(I was on the phone with them trying to make the deal hours before the other buyer ever showed up)
He asked what he could do to make it up to me
I said "nothing because that was the last base WRX in that color left on the west coast". That is the only car I will buy (Been looking for it for months)
He says " well how about if I sell you that exact car but a 2013 for the same price when they arrive"
I said "OK that makes me feel a little better. Can I get that in writing?"
He avoided my question, I asked it again 2 more times.
He replyed" No problem, I'll get one of the sales reps to do that for you"
Following is the exact email I recieved (copyed'n'pasted):

Will sell you a 2013 base Wrx no spoiler for 25747 plus tax and fees according to chip Ciprion sales manager at reno Lithia Subaru will call as soon as ordering is available

Sent from my iPhone

This was sent from a salesman's personal email account and from an iPhone. This is my proof in writing? These guys are are F******* con artists
LITHIA SUBARU of RENO
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
typeNOyouRnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Tripperfx3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 242966
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Rally blue

Man... I lived in Reno for 4 years (had an Evo at first) and never heard anything good about them. When I bought my WRX the guy I was buying it from bought his new Legacy from them and I just laughed at him... Everyone in Reno know Lithia is crap. I'd much rather drive over to Sac or the Bay to buy a car. I'd still go down there in person and say you want something notarized or at least signed by the sales manager and salesman.
Tripperfx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Nguyen89
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 284014
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2012 STi Sedan
SWP

Well that sucks big time. Get your money back and wash your hands of that dealership.
Nguyen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
boostdsuby8
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (67)

Member#: 139739
Chapter/Region: South East

I'd say it was a bait and switch but they actually took a deposit...which I find weird.

You could always file a complaint with the BBB.
boostdsuby8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
AlucardFD
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)

Member#: 150429

So you did not get your $1000 back?
AlucardFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
typeNOyouRnot
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX

I did file a complaint with BBB this afternoon. Lithia said they are refunding my deposit to my credit card but it's not there yet. I'm beginning to wonder. At this point, I will not consider buying anything from them ever again. Their proposed resolution is that I wait X amount of months to finally get what should have been mine yesterday for the same price. Oh, and a side note: after they gave me the VIN, I left a message to cancel an order I placed for the same car at another dealership 3 weeks prior.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
typeNOyouRnot
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX

Another thing I would like potential customers aware of is the possibility of their finance department intentionally "approving" you for a good loan with the intent on turning around to tell you it wasn't approved a week or two after you drive away with the car. This happened to me once (Roseville Auto Mall), I've seen this happen to two of my friends at other dealerships, and have heard many other stories. I have no evidence that Lithia was trying to do this to me but it sure did seem like it. I told them from the begining that I have the cash to buy the car outright but I want to finance to build credit. I currently don't have any verifiable income and my mother was willing to co-sign for me. They somehow "approved" me for Subaru's best financing available without a co-signer. They talked me into doing without a co-signer even though I wanted to add my mother to make sure it was a stable loan. I had a deep suspicion that they intended on hitting me with horrible loan terms after I already have the car in my name. Why else would they want to talk me into doing it without a co-signer? After all, I have no verifiable income.