Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

Default I have a cracked Rota

BUT...

I don't think there's any reason to be blaming Rota on this one:

1) I have 17x7.5 Subzeros. an early batch. Before Rota started making them hubcentric for Subarus. These are probably 10 year old wheels. Aluminum wheels don't last forever

2)
- Cleaned my wheels, noticed cracks on 6 of the 10 spokes
- Since my only other wheels have snow tires on them, and it's 90+ degrees every day, I decide to put it back on and keep a daily eye on the cracks until I can find some new or used wheels.
- Checking for any growth of crack the next day after my commute, the entire wheel is hot. The brakes, of course were scorching hot, and the entire wheel was hot from transfer through the hub. They were not too hot to touch, but they were very, very warm.

Something was obviously very wrong.

First opportunity I had, pulled the wheel off. Didn't see anything obviously wrong, so I pulled the caliper.... seized slider pin.
That'll do it.

So the cracks likely came about due to the heat coupled with hard driving. Interestingly I didn't really notice any issues with the brakes or power. I don't really know how long the brakes were like this. For all I know this could have been like this for months. Interestingly, the pads looked fine and had plenty of life, but they had been there for about 6 or 7 years, so I replaced them just to be sure.

Brakes were fixed by buying a new bracket, pin, and seal kit.

I guess I got my money's worth from the wheels after ~10 years. I didn't really want to spend on new wheels right now, but I'm also not wanting to be anywhere near that wheel when it breaks. It'll spend the rest of it's life taking one trip to the tire installers to move the tires over to my new Sparco Assetto Gara's, then I'll take it to the metal recyclers for my 10 bucks or whatever they pay for 17 pounds of aluminum wheel.

I wanted 17x9 or 17x8 for wider tires, but the Sparcos were $525 shipped on closeout from Tire Rack, and I have better things to spend money on right now than the $1700 or wahtever 17x9 plus tires would be vs. the 17x7.5 wheels plus installer fees. I couldn't pass them up for the price. Love the look, just wish they were 8 inches instead of 7.5... that would still fit my current 225 star specs, and I could move to 235s next set of tires if I wanted.

Here's a pic of some of the cracks I found when I was cleaning them:
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Concillian; 07-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

man....delete this thread.....this is just not a reason to post this here

all the ****ing idiots will come out of the woodwork and start posting all sorts of stupid **** and the other idiots will post all sorts of new threads asking all sort of stupid **** about rotas and the war will be on

DELETE THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
fbjr2003
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 258846
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
man....delete this thread.....this is just not a reason to post this here

all the ****ing idiots will come out of the woodwork and start posting all sorts of stupid **** and the other idiots will post all sorts of new threads asking all sort of stupid **** about rotas and the war will be on

DELETE THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
People are always gonna have more and more questions you can't stop that so why complain. This could be helpful to people with Rotas. Calm down.
fbjr2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbjr2003 View Post
People are always gonna have more and more questions you can't stop that so why complain. This could be helpful to people with Rotas. Calm down.

'
you havent been here long enough to know that your view is just on this one
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
SpamMansXe
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15920
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
1999 White Mock 22B
2014 Plasma Blue GR STi

^
SpamMansXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamMansXe View Post
^

d0000000000000000000d...good ta see ya 'round
Old 07-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
dundunskeert
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184151
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2000 STI RA Limited
Blue

FYI 225's and 235's will fit on a 7.5j rim Just fine...
dundunskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundunskeert View Post
FYI 225's and 235's will fit on a 7.5j rim Just fine...

that depends on what you define as 'just fine'

i have used the same 17x7.5 wheels on my 02 and 06 wrx's since JAN 2002 and I wouldnt use a 235/40 on them.....again....I have run 215/45's and 225/45's and 235/40's

and the 235/40 is, depending on the tire, too wide

the 235/40 Federal 595RS-R's were too wide for the 7.5" wide wheel
Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
dundunskeert
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184151
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2000 STI RA Limited
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
that depends on what you define as 'just fine'

i have used the same 17x7.5 wheels on my 02 and 06 wrx's since JAN 2002 and I wouldnt use a 235/40 on them.....again....I have run 215/45's and 225/45's and 235/40's

and the 235/40 is, depending on the tire, too wide

the 235/40 Federal 595RS-R's were too wide for the 7.5" wide wheel

I understand what you are saying. But a 235 will still fit on a 7.5in wheel. Most people won't notice the loss in responsiveness from too wide of a tire for a wheel. Heck, I've seen a guy with a civic running 245's on a 7j wheel putting down some quick times.
dundunskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru

Member#: 97135
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundunskeert View Post
I understand what you are saying. But a 235 will still fit on a 7.5in wheel. Most people won't notice the loss in responsiveness from too wide of a tire for a wheel. Heck, I've seen a guy with a civic running 245's on a 7j wheel putting down some quick times.
thats the thing. plenty of wheels will fit.

just because it fits doesn't mean its "best" or "right". There is an optimum range of tire sizes based on wheel width and rolling diameter - and this is the information people are looking for.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote