Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
czaplicki
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 168303
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza

Default HELP! 06 2.5rs idle problems...

Here is the story...
2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs NA motor. Automatic. 140000 miles.
The other day I was driving and I started to get a poor response from the throttle. It started to flutter and almost stalled. If I keep the RPM's over 2-3k it seems fine but as soon as I come to a stop or slow down it acts like it wants to stall. The engine threw a cyl 3 mis-fire code.

Here is what has been done.
I have replaced the plugs and wires. While the OBDII sensor was connected, the O2 sensors read the correct voltage. The guy at the auto parts store said the throttle position sensor was reading at 15% and it should have been 0%????

I did a reset on the computer. Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes.

I have also cleaned the MAF sensor, checked the compression (100-110 psi all cylinders).

The first time I pulled the plugs cylinder 4 had melted the iridium plug (not the ground strap but the electrode), all the other plugs looked fine. I pulled the plugs after 20 miles (during the compression test) and they looked fine.

The other thing is the cruise control light will start to flash when the check engine light is on and I am driving.

I have searched this forum and others and found nothing.
Things I think it could be:
TPS
EGR Valve
Faulty/Clogged Injector
Bad Coil? (Its a single coil pack though)

Please let me know if you have any ideas before I go down the expensive path of throwing parts at the car and hoping one of the things fix it.

Thanks in advance,
Sabrina
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by czaplicki; 07-24-2012 at 03:37 PM.
czaplicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
SubaruTech84
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301472

Well why your #4 plug would look like that, but you are getting a #3misfire in the computer doesn't make sense. You have an electronic throttle body on that car so the TPS is built into the throttle body assembly. I would concentrate on the P0303. Try to spray water on the coil pack and see if it starts to stumble harder. I have never seen a bad injector. A bad TPS would not cause a misfire on only one cylinder. Also, the EGR valve would not cause a single cylinder misfire. Don't listen to the guy at the auto parts store about an electronic throttle body. Most of the time they don't know the first thing about cars.

Your at 140,000 miles, have you ever done a timing belt? I would consider checking timing just to make sure you haven't jumped time at all.

As far as the lights - all Subarus will flash the cruise light at you any time the CEL is also illuminated. It is their way of making sure you don't ignore the light!
SubaruTech84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
czaplicki
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Impreza

I did the timing belt at 100,000 miles. I will check the timing again tonight when I get home. At idle, do you know where it should be at? ie. Should it be advanced at all?

I will also try to put water on the coil tonight.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
SubaruTech84
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301472

Check the timing with the engine off. Just make sure the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket and the 2 camshaft sprockets all hit 12o'clock at the same time. The cam sprockets themselves - are solid- they do not advance or retard. The variable valve timing is built into the rocker arm assembly and affects just the intake valves themselves.
SubaruTech84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
czaplicki
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Impreza

Thanks for the clarification. I will check that tonight as well.